Failing to romance Triss using "Let's try again" dialog option

+
Failing to romance Triss using "Let's try again" dialog option

I'm trying to romance Triss using the "Let's try again" dialog option, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_ORqfgJUA
However, even if I follow the dialog choices shown in the youtube video, Djikstra starts talking about killing Radovid and Triss doesn't re-appear.

This is what I did prior to the ending of this side quest:
* I completed A Favor for Radovid and A Matter of Life and Death
* I dressed up in a doublet and kissed her at the ball
* I saved the two mages

...did I miss something or is this romancing option no longer available?

I'm playing on PS4, version 1.10.

Triss only come back when you choose "I love you" option

Before there is a bug that make her come back even if you choose "Let's try again", well not anymore

It was a bug in the first release of the game, it shouldn't have locked in the romance. It was fixed later. Unfortunately, there are still walkthroughs and videos around with the original version.

Getting Triss to stay through "Let's try again" dialog option

Well, as a matter of fact, I know that it is (or was, as this is the main point of my post) possible to make Triss not to leve for Kovir by the ending of the "Now or Never" quest, but not locking her as your love interest at the same time, possible by using the "Let's try again" dialog option, as seen in this video:

https://youtu.be/1LzgvmZjlw4?t=1296

Also, according to IGN, there are some steps wich should be followed so that this result is achieved, and I quote:

If, instead, he wants to leave the door open to love (but doesn't want to fully commit), he must make the following dialogue choices:

To Sigimund (before the Witch Hunter attack):
"What the hell're you talking about"

To Triss (As she's about to board the ship):
"Stay with me"
"Let's try again."

Chastise Sigimund instead of listening to his story.
Triss will be revealed to have stayed on the docks, interrupting the tale.

So, I've tried every possible dialog combination (also kissed her in the garden and helped her rescue those two mages) but still can't get her to stay without getting into a relationship with her, wich leads me to 2 possibles answers:

Possibility 1 - A patch could've made it impossible to make her stay unless you want to permanetly enter a relationship with her (by saying "I love you"). I remeber patch 1.05 adressing something related to this quest but, even reading through the entire discussion, couldn't come to a conclusive answer if it was this patch that actually caused this. I'm curently using patch 1.11, btw.

Possibility 2 - Somewhere along the way, in previous quests or interactions, there was something wich I should've done differently.

Believe me when I say I've REALLY looked for an answer for this problem, but I've found no conclusive answer. I hope this post can help those with the same problem than me (I know there are more people facing this problem). Thanks in advance.

Possibility 1 - A patch could've made it impossible to make her stay unless you want to permanetly enter a relationship with her (by saying "I love you"). I remeber patch 1.05 adressing something related to this quest but, even reading through the entire discussion, couldn't come to a conclusive answer if it was this patch that actually caused this. I'm curently using patch 1.11, btw.

^This. Sort of.

It has never been possible to get Triss to stay without locking her in as a love interest. However, there WAS a bug in the early versions of the game that would lock her in if you said "Let's Try Again". That was fixed a long time ago.

Because of this bug, which meant there was a discrepancy between the game and the official Prima Guide, many third-party walkthroughs seemed to have got confused and gave wrong information. I guess the one at IGN has never been corrected.

There are only two options available at the end of Now or Never. You can either lock her in as a love interest by telling her you love her, or let her go. Neither has any ongoing consequence other than the romances.

PS: The thread has been moved. Please use the spoiler subforums in the future for such discussions. TIA.

Last edited:
There are only two options available at the end of Now or Never. You can either lock her in as a love interest by telling her you love her, or let her go.

Nice to have an offical confirmation of this, all those guides out there saying different things really confused me

Please use the spoiler subforums in the future for such discussions. TIA.

Now that I know, will do.

Please get this to the right people (Developers)......regarding "Romance" story-lines

I just wanted to say that it seems crazy that you have to choose Triss right at that moment, BEFORE you even really get to interact with Yennifer to see which one you do truly "love" and want to pursue. For those playing the game w/o looking at any guides, videos, walkthroughs, etc. they would never know this. People like me who like to complete everything they can in the same area before progressing (i.e. to the next city/area/land).

However, the most important point to me is having to choose a partner before you really get to know both of them equally. Was I supposed to play through the Main Quest more in order to interact w/ Yen? I ask because I do a lot of exploring. Additionally, I like to take care of all the secondary quests that are below or close to my character's Level - as well as any Witcher Contracts and Treasure Hunts that are around my current level. I am currently Lvl 20 and just completed secondary quest "Now or Never" but I have yet to complete main quest "Destination: Skilige" by going to the port near Kaer Trolde (I am giving this detail to help put into perspective where I am at in the context of the game).

If it was a "glitch" that allowed us to "not fully commit", it was a good one. I hope that CDProject Red takes this into account while working on the next patch I read is supposed to open up more dialogue options for the romance story-lines. It is really disappointing that you are forced to commit so early w/o being able to fully explore "both sides of the fence" so to speak.

P.S. The Witcher 3 is an amazing game by an amazingly talented Developer that is finally getting it's due. The additional content that came in the case w/ the game, which includes the very thoughtful "Dear Gamer" letter and the free DLC was truly considerate. I wish more developers (and Publishers) would show appreciation for gamers that spend money to support this multi-million (billion?) $ industry. Deserving of GOTY.
:smiling2:

Last edited:
If it was a "glitch" that allowed us to "not fully commit", it was a good one. I hope that CDProject Red takes this into account while working on the next patch I read is supposed to open up more dialogue options for the romance story-lines. It is really disappointing that you are forced to commit so early w/o being able to fully explore "both sides of the fence" so to speak.

The patch that changed (in minor ways) the romance dialogues has already been released a couple of months ago, and it makes no difference until after The Isle of Mists quest. Therefore it has no effect on how the choices are implemented, either.

The quests were originally designed to be played in a different order, on this picture of the main quest line (leaked in 2014), you can see that Now or Never was written to be played in Act 2 after Ugly Baby and Carnal Sins (which would have included Triss in some role that was deleted). That is also why your choice there has no consequences at all during the Skellige quest line and Ugly Baby. It is still possible to play the quests in that order, both A Matter of Life and Death and Now or Never only fail when you begin The Isle of Mists, their levels are just set in way that suggests playing them before even going to Skellige for the first time.

Last edited:
Let me reiterate that I am not super far into the game (just finished Novigrad related quests) and have just started to get into Skellige so I can't read much, if anything, from the link you posted because of spoilers. I do appreciate the info you provided regarding how the quests were originally designed to play out. I obviously also made a mistake in reading older articles about the patch opening up more dialogue options in the romance territory because it already came out w/ patch 1.10. I purchased the game on Day One but I stopped playing through the game on a consistent pace/basis because of various reasons and I'll just say dealing w/ things happening in Life (I was OK w/ this knowing that patches were being released to fix glitches, issues, make improvements, etc.). This is why I'm not very far along for those wondering.

There is no denying that a patch did effect your ability to keep Triss as a potential lover in the future if you decided not to pursue Yen later according to online videos and the original Wiki from IGN that jvmunhoz copied to this thread (even if this was not CD Projekt Red's intention to "leave the door open to love"). I can't link the page because I have under 10 posts but you can find it under "Sex and Romance" within IGN's W3 wiki. This is a better option for those who play like me.

Regardless, I was just making a side comment about the patch but really my issue is w/ how the game does not accommodate gamers that like to explore and finish as many quests as they can in the same area before moving on. The game gives you a reference point of when you should tackle quests based on a suggested Level of your character. The further away your character's level is to the recommended lvl when you complete each specific quest, the less EXP points you get when completed (i.e. I received 1 xp for completing A Hallowed Horn quest that had a recommended Lvl of 12 and I was at 20. This was supposed to be fixed in patch notes 1.04 for PS4 but it doesn't seem like it when I received only 1 xp). This is just further detailing what you meant when you said "both A Matter of Life and Death and Now or Never only fail when you begin The Isle of Mists, their levels are just set in way that suggests playing them before even going to Skellige for the first time." All of these reasons are what caused me to finally finish Now or Never which I put off as long as possible in regards to my play-style.

At this point, the most feasible option for me I guess would be to go back to the save point that I made just before starting Now or Never and doing everything I can up until The Isle of Mists quest, correct? If I start the Main Quest Destination: Skellige and do other Secondary Quests, Witcher Contracts and Treasure Hunts I will eventually meet up w/ Yen I assume but when? Bottom line, if I sleep w/ Triss then I can't sleep w/ Yen (I understand you have 2 "moments" w/ Yen) and then choose one of them at a later time, correct? Some people may think I'm taking a game a little too serious but I like to take my time and enjoy the story and experience everything. I don't want to get less XP for putting off Now or Never like I have w/ other quests that I was a much higher lvl than suggested. Also, I don't like failing quests - I finished it originally but after the update Novigrad, Closed City 2 quest shows failed - which I understand they are supposed to patch. Your responses/advice are appreciated.

Last edited:
There is no denying that a patch did effect your ability to keep Triss as a potential lover in the future if you decided not to pursue Yen later according to online videos and the original Wiki from IGN that jvmunhoz copied to this thread (even if this was not CD Projekt Red's intention to "leave the door open to love"). I can't link the page because I have under 10 posts but you can find it under "Sex and Romance" within IGN's W3 wiki. This is a better option for those who play like me.

It was just a bug, and did not really add a third option. Before one of the patches (1.05 ?), you could choose "Let's try again" at the docks, and then - depending on the conversation with Dijkstra - still get the lighthouse scene. But it did not change the fact that after Now or Never you are either locked into a Triss romance or not, and have no second chance. Loading an old save from an early version of the game where I made that choice, it seems the result is you get the sex scene but no romance (although that might be something that has been changed retroactively), which was simply a bug. The ability to revise your choice later (which would render the first choice largely meaningless, by the way) was never implemented in the game. The intention of the writers was clearly that anything other than "I love you" and the kiss at the masquerade ball would not be enough; that is why you get the answer "I don't have the strength to try. If I was sure it would work…" if you say let's try again.

Top Bottom