Fallout 4

+
It bugs me to see a game receive this extraordinary amount of hype when I consider the company's track record only alright and not famous for big improvements, as well as the game itself just being fun in my book - it was part of my disappointment when first started Fallout 3. The amount of reverence it had made me expect to find a masterpiece, but it was "merely" fun.

Word.

I was really impressed with the dog and buiilding customization feature. Those are the kind of game mechanics a little kid imagines and says "What if a video-game did this??" but don't work in practice. Yet Bathesda just implemented them in the most common sense way possible.

I find it ironic that both Dragon Age Inquistion and Pillars of Eternity had customizeable fortresses, yet Fallout 4's fortresses beat out their fortress features 10 to 1. Not that the fortress was the main feature of either of those games, but it's still quite an accomplishment.

---------- Updated at 10:25 AM ----------

What is it people don't like about Bathesad games? I own Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I've never played them. I see people on these forums criticizing them a lot. Is it just a subjective thing --as in the personal taste of us Witcher fans is at odds with Bathesda's game design? Or are they objectively bad?

for me every games from bethesda, since oblivion, are souless and shallow . At start thier games impressed u with freedom of exploring but very quickly u discover there is nothing behind it...generic story, generic NPC, no C&C system ...just aimless roaming and doing yet another generic reptetive quests . Cause of that i was so afraid of Open World in Witcher 3 and thats why i was even more impresed CDPR make it work so well :)

What is it people don't like about Bathesad games? I own Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I've never played them. I see people on these forums criticizing them a lot. Is it just a subjective thing --as in the personal taste of us Witcher fans is at odds with Bathesda's game design? Or are they objectively bad?
I believe that a big part of it is a counter-reaction to how much praise they get, when a person might just consider them alright. And when they share a genre (albeit very generally), there's also that matter of competition. I admit I feel that myself at times, when it comes to Skyrim and Fallout 3. I enjoyed them, but when I constantly see people adoring them to no end, I can't help but think about their faults.

Fallout: New Vegas is a great game.
Fallout 3 is a mediocre game.

Only one of those were made by Bethesda however.

Bethesda games (at least the last few, I didn't play Oblivion or Morrowind) have forgettable characters, poorly written story, lackluster dialogues and the choices you make usually have absolutely no impact on the world.

It looks okay I guess. I haven't played any Fallout games before, and I'm not sure I will be bothering with this one either. It's not really my genre and nothing in those videos made me think 'wow I have to buy this game'

Dishonored 2 is the Bethesda game I'm more interested in, tbh.

I'm sort of excited for Fallout 4...I mean, don't get me wrong the graphics look great. It's an awesome setting and I especially loved 1 and 2. Three was good and NV better, but I fear that the quests/side stories, etc. of Witcher 3 has spoiled me rotten. I guess I'm just worried that they will take the same approach to quest design that they have been touting for a while now. Sure I guess the "Radiant" quests in Skyrim were okay, but Witcher 3, I think, has pretty much set the standard for RPG quests and general atmospheric content. Plus, while Witcher 3's main plot has its faults, it's still leaps and bounds above the main quest of most Bethesda games.

I understand why everyone is hyped about 4, but is it hype for its existence or is it hype for the actual game and its content? I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
I really loved Fallout New Vegas, so I'm sure to enjoy Fallout 4.
Witcher 3, I think, has pretty much set the standard for RPG quests and general atmospheric content. Plus, while Witcher 3's main plot has its faults, it's still leaps and bounds above the main quest of most Bethesda games.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I think Witcher has spoiled me for a lot of games as well. Thanks guys. I think it's just the way the characters emote during dialogue. It's not perfect and has some really weird moments but it's loads better than what we've had. The fallout 4 gameplay shown today looked cool, but soooo stiff and wooden. Animations were pretty typical of Bethesda too, which is a bummer. But I'll enjoy the gameplay sure enough.

Cautiously optimistic but kind of excited.

I must agree Bethesda does get too much hype from a new game that doesn't do a whole lot different from the last.

The settlement and customisation is what I look really forward to. Not the stupid light shit but building a fortress.

As @EliHarel said and kind of says it best.

Bethesda games are not ones that are super amazing to play but just simply fun time sinks.

I've preordered Fallout 4 PIP Boy edition though I don't know why. I guess I'm going on hope.

See I've been playing Bethesda games since Morrowind(2002) and all those years of experience has taught me one thing: to enjoy the game, look where the main story objective marker points to and then do a complete 180. Only Bethesda game this tactic has failed me was Fallout 3. Did a 180 but then accidentally stumbled upon
Dear old Dad, resulting in all story-related quests leading up to that being cancelled.

@EliHarel
Have fun playing Fallout 1 and 2, I envy you for experiencing that nostalgia for the first time. ^_^ Give Fallout Tactics a chance as well. It's difficult but it's Fallout. ^_^

I recommend you then jump to New Vegas. Much more enjoyable and 'Fallout' than Fallout 3.

Warning: SPOILER-rant ahead.

In my opinion, Fallout 3 is the worst game in the series. Sure it did many cool things, but also sports
two of the worst endings
I've seen in a Fallout game, if not any game. I mean I stand there with
Fawkes, a super mutant, who can easily shrug off any radioactivity. So why can't he enter the highly radioactive room? "Nooo, it's YOUR destiny." he says, and someone has to go in there to die.

Frankly, this alone nearly made me avoid Fallout New Vegas. So glad I didn't, but then again, I heard Obsidian(as in several of the original Fallout creators) was involved, and that game was so much Fallout it brought nothing but joy.

So, I'm hoping Bethesda realised in 2009 that others know how to create the Fallout atmosphere better, and that they've included the ones behind Fallout New Vegas when making Fallout 4.

@braindancer12
Good job, and I see some new perks among many old ones. Oh, and one from Fallout New Vegas as well! ^_^

Last edited:
Frankly, this alone nearly made me avoid Fallout New Vegas. So glad I didn't, but then again, I heard Obsidian(as in several of the original Fallout creators) was involved, and that game was so much Fallout it brought nothing but joy..
What do you mean - involved? It was Obsidian who made Fallout: NV. Bethesda just lent them the license and the engine.

So, I'm hoping Bethesda realised in 2009 that others know how to create the Fallout atmosphere better, and that they've included the ones behind Fallout New Vegas when making Fallout 4.
I doubt that, because most of those people are probably still working for Obsidian.

What do you mean - involved? It was Obsidian who made Fallout: NV. Bethesda just lent them the license and the engine.

I doubt that, because most of those people are still working for Obsidian.

As I said: I nearly didn't buy Fallout New Vegas, but then I heard Obsidian developed it, with many original Fallout devs, and that made me change my mind.

Too bad if Bethesda haven't involved Obsidian in some way this time around.

EDIT: They really should have.

Last edited:
In a different universe I might look forward to this, but not as a Bethesda game. That's too bad because the original two were so good!

Anyone interested in the classic Fallout experience should give Wasteland 2 a try. It's not perfect but does get a lot of things right.

i liked what i saw in the demo. but i felt some things got simplified (AGAIN !)
the dialogue system for instance feels even more basic than before. i'm also worried the perks/skills got simplified as well.
and the fact of being able to wear a power armor without being part of the brotherhood of steel or any training is weird to say the least.

Probably will play F4, but I am not too excited tbh...

And settlements? Not really new - RTS mod is on Nexus since 2009...

Anyone want a Pip-Boy 3000? :p

It's a bit expensive though...

Attachments

• PipBoy.jpg
    PipBoy.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 45
Anyone want a Pip-Boy 3000? :p

It's a bit expensive though...

What a piece of shit who in their right mind would wear that

a pip boy watch would've been cool tho

I have a Theory about FO4 and Vault 111

I think it's a vault where androids were being made to be as realistic as possible and you were the only successful one made,all your memories in the intro are fake which is how you can change your appearance and such. The intro is just too picturesque that it almost looks like some Tranquility Lane simulation crap (which was in Vault 112 btw, coincidence?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom