FAQ About The Enhanced Edition

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
FAQ About The Enhanced Edition

[moderator]Your game must be registered before you can get the informal technical help that is provided in the In-game Tech section of the forum. Of course this does not apply to questions about how to register your game or how to find your CD key![/moderator]This is a work-in-progress FAQ, do check it often as new tips are being addedPart 1:Q: How do i know what game version do i have and what to do to update the game?A: To see your game version you can run the game in windowed mode by unchecking the Fullscreen check box in the Options -> Video menu in game, then press Accept, and the game version is written in the window title.If you have version:any version lower than 1.4.5 -> get the Enhanced Edition patch + language pack install it and then get patch 1.5 and install it too1.4.5.1280 / 1.4.5.1282 / 1.4.5.1303 -> get patch 1.51.4.5.1304 -> you have the latest patch installedQ: I live in the US, how do i update the game to have all the international game features ( gore, nudity ) ?A: CD Projekt RED is excited to announce the upcoming release of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut, allowing gamers in North America to experience the award-winning RPG as the developers originally envisioned. The Director’s Cut is set for release as both a free update for existing owners of the North American version of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and as a stand-alone product at various digital distributors.
  • What is The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut?The Director’s Cut is the version of the game our developers originally intended for you to play. It is essentially the same game that gamers around the world have experienced – now available legitimately for the first time in North America.
  • Where will The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut be available?The Director’s Cut update will be available from TheWitcher.com and all applicable digital distributors in North America, including Steam, Impulse and Direct2Drive. We will announce the release date in the coming days, but as of that date, people who buy The Witcher: Enhanced Edition from digital distributors will be purchasing the Director’s Cut, as it will replace the existing Enhanced Edition on those sites.
  • Will The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut obtained from digital distribution contain 1.5 patch features (i.e. additional adventures)?Yes, Director’s Cut version of the game will have all features of patch 1.5.
  • Do I need The Witcher: Enhanced Edition to get the Director’s Cut?If you want to just install the patch to get the Director’s Cut content, then you do need The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. If you’re just buying The Witcher for the first time (or feel like buying it again!) then you can just purchase the product via Steam, Impulse, Direct2Drive, etc. as they will offer the Director’s Cut as a full product already patched to the latest version.
  • I don’t live in North America or I imported a copy of the game from outside of North America. Should I get the Director’s Cut?You really already have the Director’s Cut if you have the international edition of the game and have installed the 1.5 patch!
  • What is the age rating of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut?The Director’s Cut has received an M rating from the ESRB, with Blood and Gore, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content and Violence.
Download Link: http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Windows-Narzedzia-Patche-The_Witcher_Enhanced_Edition_Directors_Cut/9259Digital Download users should wait for the update to appear on their download service.Q: How do i install the Directors Cut Patch?A: You need the US version of the game, as this patch is ONLY for the US version of the game, international users already have these patch features.If you have the original game version ( released back in 2007 ):
  • install the game from the DVD
  • install the Enhanced Edition patch 1.4
  • Install patch 1.5
  • install the Directors Cut patch
If you have the Enhanced Edition game version ( released back in 2008 ):
  • install the game from the DVD
  • Install patch 1.5
  • install the Directors Cut patch
Q: When I click on the link for the 1.5 Patch, I get a blank page! Is the patch really there?A: Yes, the patch is there; plenty of people have downloaded it with no difficulty. There are also a number of people who've had trouble with the download, though, so you're not alone. The two most common sources of problems downloading the patch seem to be overeager anti-virus software and browsers that are trying to protect you from downloads, page redirects, etc., "for your own good." Both anti-virus software and protective browsers can be very useful, but they do get in the way when you're intentionally changing existing files on your computer, such as when patching a game.So the first thing you should do is turn off your anti-virus until you've finished patching. Do remember to turn it back on again when you're done!If you're using Internet Explorer or Firefox, try a different browser for this download; a lot of people have reported good success with Opera and Google Chrome.If you're not using IE, check your browser's settings. Firefox has so many add-ons that it's very easy for one of them to "helpfully" block the very content that you're trying to download.Some people who have trouble with the main site have no problem using a mirror. There are six mirrors listed; if the main site doesn't work for you, try one of these:Download Patch 1.5 from here: http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Wiedźmin_Edycja_Rozszerzona_Patch/8902Mirror1@filebox.roMirror2@computergames.roMirror3@actiontrip.comMirror4@worthplaying.comMirror5@patches-scrolls.deMirror6@witchervaultQ: What files do I need and how do I install the 1.4 Patch ( Enhanced Edition )?A: Do get the patch: http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Gry-Fabularne-RPG-THE_WITCHER_Wiedzmin_ENHANCED_EDITION/4432 and read how to verify the integrity of your downloaded files here: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/1.4_patch Q: The Witcher says i need to be Administrator to run it but i already am ( Windows 7 ) A: The game disk comes with an older non-Windows 7 compatible TAGES protection, so this error can be fixed by either removing TAGES entirely after updating to patch 1.5 or by updating TAGES to a newer version. In any case read the Q&A below.Q: How to remove TAGES ? ( while using patch 1.5 )A: Given that patch 1.5 removes the copy protection scheme known as TAGES from the game executable, here is how to remove TAGES from your system.First of all you must establish if TAGES is needed by any other games that you have installed, unfortunately we can't do that for you, so you will need to look it up on your installed games EULA or online on a site like this.Presuming that you don't have any other game that needs TAGES, you can carry on, get the latest TAGES executable, for your Windows 32bit or Windows 64bit, from here, and run it.You will get one of two possible dialogue windows:* if you are asked if you want to install TAGES, it means that TAGES is not installed on your system, so you will just press NO and that's it ( iirc, the original game updated with patch 1.4 works even without the TAGES system files ).* if you are asked if you want to uninstall TAGES, it means you have TAGES installed on your system, so you will just press YES and that's it. You might check by yourself if the files were removed, by searching for atksgt.sys and lirsgt.sys files in the WINDOWS\system32\drivers or WINDOWS\sysWOW64\drivers folder, and you could even do a Windows reboot just to be sure the devices are unloaded from the running system.If you have other games that use TAGES, and you did remove TAGES from your system, when those games are run you might get:* the game asking for the DVD or just stopping/crashing, meaning that you need TAGES in your system, so you need to run the TAGES installer ( again ) and install TAGES in your system.* the game automatically installing the needed TAGES files without user input so you end up with a working game, but with TAGES in your system too.Remember that patch 1.5 removes the need for the TAGES code/files only from The Witcher.Q: How to obtain a CD key for your The Witcher game if it was not included in your purchase.I have an OEM version of The WitcherFollow this link: http://www.atari.com/us/support/supportemail/supportemail_form.php?productName=The+WitcherJust tell them you have a OEM version of the game and that there is a key code written around the clear inside ring of your OEM disk, they may ask you for a partial bit of that as proof.Make sure you get an Atari Customer Support Case number.I have bought The Witcher in CanadaFollow this link: http://www.atari.com/us/support/supportemail/supportemail_form.php?productName=The+WitcherAsk for a REPLACEMENT KEY telling them that you bought the game in Canada. Be sure to give them proof of purchase.Make sure you get an Atari Customer Support Case number.I bought the Enhanced Edition in North AmericaThe key can be found in the inside cover of your game guide rather than your game manual.I have bought The Witcher from a Digital Distribution sourceContact your Digital Distribution source and ask them for a CD key, they sometimes may give you an incorrect one so be sure to ask for a 28 digit one.Q: The REGISTER.EXE keeps failing to register or Patch says i need to register my gameA1: It's not a problem if it says you need to register your game ( again ).A2: Since the registration process uses Internet Explorer to acces the Internet ( no matter what your default web browser you have ) you'll need to have cookies enabled in it, it helps to clear the cookies before attempting to register. Also, since the cookies need to authenticate with a server, it's recommended to have an exact timezone selected and an updated time for your system, or else the cookies can expire as soon as they're created, intrerupting the communication process.A3: If on Vista run the Patch and/or REGISTER.EXE as AdministratorA4: If you encounter an HTTP error "12057" you'll need to uncheck the following option in Internet Explorer: Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security options -> "Check for server certificate revocation"A5: You basically need to STOP any firewall/antivirus that can interfere with the online key checking, have all updates for Windows and IEA6: Try to write the key/password with small case letters, even by changing your password with one that has small case letters A7: Try to run REGISTER.EXE in "Safe Mode with Networking"A8: Make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework (at least 2.0) installed and fully patched.A9: Even also try to register at a friend, you only need some files from the Witcher folder, put them on a USB flash stick or something, you do not need Data & System folders, you do not need to install the game on your friend's computer. Just run REGISTER.EXE there, if it works ( and it did to a lot of people that could not register from their houses ) then export the registry keys on the registered computer: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CD Projekt RED and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CD Projekt RED and import them in your game system. After this retry to patch. Q: In case of Patch 1.4/1.5 installation errorsin Windows XP:
SetupNew\setup.cpp (138)PAPP:pVENDOR:pGUID:$@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600) Non IE/Netscape 11.0
in Vista
SetupNew\setup.cpp (135)PAPP:pGUID$@Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (6001) IE 7.0.6001.18000
A1: The patching process needs about ~4GB of free disk space on the partition the game is installed.A2: Reboot computer into Windows "Safe Mode with Networking" and try to install the patch.A3: The patcher needs at least these.NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, 2.0SP1 and 3.0, 64bit users need these also: 2.0, 2.0SP1, 3.0A4: The patch files need to be in the same folder and have their original file names as the patcher application checks them and it might crash if the files are not found. See this link: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/1.4_patch and http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/1.5_patch about the exact file names.Q: Problem with "Catastrophic Failure communicate" or something about a "language.key" A: You should disable and uninstall all the antivirus programs (especially Comodo and Kaspersky ) and any virtual drive applications. reboot and retry to patch. You can reinstall them after the patch has been applied successfully.BEWARE: an *unofficial* alternate route to patch the game
1. Extracte TWEE_Upgrade.exe using this command line: TWEE_Upgrade /extract_all:D:\TWEE_Upgrade or i]TheWitcherPatch.1.5.exe /extract_all:D:\TheWitcherPatch1.5[/I] ( it will extract the files to this folder: D:\TWEE_Upgrade) or if it's not unpacking then use the Universal Extractor, get it from: http://legroom.net/software/uniextract 2. Put the wanted language packs and adventures ( for patch 1.4 ) in the new folder that the unpacking process created, so that SETUP.EXE and the patch packs are in the same folder.3. Run SETUP.EXE.Authentication, installation and modification all should go ahead with no problems, modification will take some time though.
Q: I've been waiting more that 2 hours for the patching to finish, yet it looks like it's not even patchingA: Depending on your systems specs the patching process will take some time to end, while working the hard drive activity light should flicker a lot. If it does not flicker or more than 2 hours have passed since you've started the patch it is recommended to stop the patch, backup your saved games, uninstall The Witcher while keeping your saves, delete the game folder, reboot, reinstall The Witcher and patch directly to 1.4.64bit Windows users remember to run the patch in Windows 95 Compatibility mode, or the patching process will not finish.Q: I am an Windows XP 32-Bit user and I’m having error code 111 during the “Modifying game files” process of the patch installation.A: Disable your /3GB and /PAE switches in boot.iniQ: I downloaded the EE Upgrade from 4players and the German Language pack from Rapidshare and when I want to install it says that I have the wrong Language PackA: Somehow some language packs spread throughout the internet are too small and may not work properly. Please use the official download sourceQ: The patch complains that it can't find the needed language packA: The patching process needs at least the TWEE_Upgrade.exe file and a language pack file ( it needs the language pack file for the language in which the game is installed on your system ) and both files need to be in the same folder with their original file names. If you have the US or UK version you could try to get both language file packs. You can add more languages once the initial patching process is finished correctly. You can then change in-game what language the voices and the subtitles will be.Q: Cut-scenes blurryness when using 16:10 resolutions ( 1280x800 / 1440x900 / 1680x1050 / 1920x1200 / 2560x1600 / 3840x2400 / 5120x3200 / 7680x4800 )A: Forcing 4x or 16x Anisotropy in the video card control panel and setting in-game Advanced options to 4x or 16x Anisotropy should ameliorate or cure this. Also note that users reported that this fix might not work anymore on video drivers released after June 2009 ( nVidia Forceware 180.xx or ATIAMD Catalyst 9.6 ).Q: Sound issues regarding EAX and other in Vista/7 with or without ALchemy ( not limited to Creative cards )Tip 0: Did you install the game as Administrator ? If not then that might be the problem.Tip 1: If the sound pops or cracks: try to set up in ALchemy the Buffers to 5Tip 2: If the game crashes with a DSOUND.DLL error: you need to run witcher.exe as AdministratorQ: I have a Dell XPS M1730 or other Dell that has a LightFX feature and/or a SigmaTel sound driver, and i get choppy sound and/or bad performance.A: You need to disable the LightFX support in the game. Just rename the folder named "LightFX" in the witcher/system/ folder.

Part 2:Q: Game crashing or other issues on systems running Windows Vista/7Tip0: Be sure to install the game as Administrator: right click on SETUP.EXE from the DVD and choose Run as Administrator, also do the same for TWEE_upgrade.exe and for TheWitcherPatch.1.5.exe too Tip1: Be sure your Windows Vista/7 is up to date: "The Witcher may exhaust virtual address space when running on 32-bit Windows Vista. Microsoft has released a hotfix that addresses this problem. Please download the hotfix from the following location when playing the game on 32-bit Windows Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105 . If you have patched your installation of Vista to SP1 or have Windows 7, then you already have this hotfix. KB940105 is already included in Windows Vista Service Pack 1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f559842a-9c9b-4579-b64a-09146a0ba746&DisplayLang=en " ( 64-bit Vista and all Windows 7 versions do not have this problem )Tip2: On nVidia hardware and VIsta Ultimate be sure to uninstall the DreamScene application as the it conflicts with the video driver ( read the Release Notes of the video driver )Tip3: Get TweakUAC and set UAC to QUIET, not Disabled ( do run the application again if you want to restore you previous UAC mode )Tip4: Set the game to run in Compatibility Mode: right-click on witcher.exe -> properties -> Compatibility -> Windows XP SP2 , also check the 640x480 mode, and the disable decorations, then press Apply and OKTip5: Run the game as Admin: right click on witcher.exe and RUN AS AdministratorTip6: If running the game from an external USB drive be sure to set up the currently used Power Settings Profile so that USB devices are NEVER put to sleep/suspend ( the Performance profile is recommended when gaming anyway )Q: I can't use the keyboard in-game and i'm running on Vista:A:Quit the Sidebar application before starting the game.Q: I get "Please insert original DVD" in the boxed german version of the Enhanced Edition game:A:1 Updating the game to version 1.5 will remove the need to have the DVD in drive while playing.A:2 Atari exchanges your broken game DVD 1 http://forums.eu.atari.com/showthread.php?t=864651) Send an email with your postal adress with your EE cd key number to TWEE@atarisupport.de !!2) you will get a new DVD 1 as soon as possible.!! This is for Germany only. Such beeing the case this error message also refers ot other international versions, please check your local Atari agency or check the Atari forum of your country.!! Q: Game crashing or DVD not recognized on systems running Nero 7 or Symantec SuitesTip: Try to disable these applications and run/install the game ( quit the application, and end any left over processes in the TaskManager, even uninstall them and reboot, since they may leave active processes still running in the background that you can't terminate and that may interfere with the game )Q: Game DVD not recognized on systems running applications that add drag-to-disc functionality (i.e. Roxio software)A: You must either uninstall that software or you need to populate the DVD volume on each system restart.To populate the DVD volume:
  • 1. Click Start and then Control Panel.
  • 2. Click Performance and Maintenance and then System.
  • 3. Click the Hardware tab and then Device Manager.
  • 4. In Device Manager, click the + next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives to expand.
  • 5. Right-click on your DVD-Writer drive and select Properties.
  • 6. Click the Volumes tab, then Populate and OK.
  • 7. You may now close any open windows.
  • 8. Enjoy the game!
Q: Bonus DVD not recognised by the InstallerTip: You might try to make an image of the disk and use that to continue installing:
TheCymro said:
Just thought I'd share my experiences with my installation problem since I found a workaround to the "Insert Bonus Game Content Disc" problem that may hopefully work for others. It involves creating and mounting images of the original media but works perfectly, though why the original media doesn't work is a mystery to me, since I'd imagine an image would be exactly the same as the original. Anyway, here's what to do:0. Download and install the freeware tool MagicDisk from http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm.1. Insert your Enhanced Edition install DVD.2. Launch MagicDisc and select Make CD/DVD Image from the tray icon.3. Ensure that the drive containing the DVD is selected in the Source CD/DVD-ROM drop-down menu.4. Choose an appropriate location and name to store an 'image' of this DVD under Output File. For convenience I called mine Witcher1.5. Click on OK. It'll take quite some time (10-20 minutes) so go and watch TV or something and come back later.6. Do the same for the Bonus Content Disc, calling it anything you want - Witcher2 sounds good.7. From the MagicDisc tray icon, go to Options and disable Autoverify (you may leave it on if you wish, but it takes a few minutes to verify and seems pointless - I've had no problems with this disabled - in fact I installed it without verifying).8. From the MagicDisc tray icon, select Virtual CD/DVD-ROM, then to G: No Media (may not be G: but doesn't matter),. Select this then Mount. Then navigate to Witcher1 and open it.9. Continue to install as you normally would (or wouldn't, as the case may be), and when the installer asks from the "Bonus Game Content Disc", repeat step 8 and select Witcher2 before continuing with the installation. It actually works!10. Once the installation is finished, select Virtual CD/DVD-ROM again, click on Witcher2 and Unmount.11. Insert the original install DVD and play.Yes, it looks long-winded, but once you're done at least you can play the damn game. I've only tried it on one machine, but if this worked for me I don't see why it can't work for anyone else.
Q: Map corruption and game crashing shortly after this, maybe at a new area loadingA: Disable the Autosave feature from the in-game menu OptionsQ: NVIDIA SLI USERS having lights shining through texturesA1: Get nVidia Inspector and set the SLI profile compatibility value for The Witcher to 0x0240000D like this: http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6605/nvinspwitcher.jpg ( if you don't have a Compatibility section but have an Unknown section use that like this: http://i.imgur.com/Jk2zT.jpg )A2: The tip below works with nVidia drivers prior to 256.xx as nHancer is not yet compatible with these versions. Info here: http://forum.nhancer.com/showthread.php?t=1768Tip: Install the freeware nHancer application. Run it and the program will scan your PC for installed games.1. Make a copy of your Witcher profile2. No need to rename the new copied profile...just make sure you point the new profile to your Witcher.exe under the executables window below your profiles. It will override your original profile but won't delete it.3. Highlight your Witcher profile and then on the right side column select SLI Mode4. Uncheck 09 (Prince of Persia: SOT) and check 03 (Half Life 2)5. Close up nHancer and your good to goQ: Mirror finnish textures with ATI cardsTip: [quote author=Lurk]For everyone in this thread owning an ATI card and running with one of the latest set of Catalyst drivers:the one reason for some textures (i.e. the ramp leading upward from Kaer Morhen's courtyard and most of the windows during the game) to appear completely transparent and/or reflective when they shouldn't be, is related to the Adaptive Anti-Aliasing setting in CCC.The use of forced AAA (NOT AA) causes some of the textures in-game not to show up correctly.The issue has been aknowledge by ATI after I sent a ticket to the driver's team in February, and was told it was being looked into.I think they'd have it fixed by now, had it been possible.On a side note, forcing AA and AF in CCC can lead to unpredictable results, such as none of the two filtering methods being applied at all even if they are disabled in-game.The right way to apply graphic fltering in The Witcher is by leaving AA and AF to application preference (and enable them in-game, of course) and disable AAA in CCC.[/QUOTE]Q: Can I install the extra missions and the bonus material later or will I have to install them with the patch?A: The 2 extra adventures can be installed later, the bonus material does not need to be installed at allQ: What about savegame version compatibility?Q: I've continued with a DEMO savegame in the FULL game and the game is stuck/black screen after i talk with Mikul to enter the cityA: That depends on game version, the ground rule is that a newer version savegame will not be compatible with an older game version; exceptions noted below, also read in the post above about game patches and versions:DEMO: The DEMO savegames are not compatible with the FULL game, as the DEMO contains only about 80%-90% of the main game contents for the Prologue and for Chapter 1, continuing with this savegame in the FULL game will lead to a black screen after talking with Mikul to enter the city at the entrance near the mill. After uninstalling the DEMO, do delete the game saves so that you don't accidentally load them in the FULL game version.1.0/1.1/1.1a/1.2: The savegames are compatible between these versions, meaning that a savegame made with version 1.0 of the game will load and play fine in version 1.2 ( and the other way around ).1.3: This patch brings more fixes in the game that might not be seen by using a version 1.0/1.1/1.1a/1.2 savegame, the patch notes even warn about savegame problems when using older savegames so restarting a new game or at least restarting the current chapter might be needed. Also there might be more problems that might creep up later in the game. The most obvious seen so far have been: static and fixed size shadows rotated 90 degrees from the sun direction for all the characters ( not fixable so far ) and game crashing when using the sewers/cemetery/swamp exits ( partially fixable with the IFO fix mentioned way below ).1.4(EE)/1.5: The savegames are compatible between these versions, meaning that a savegame made with version 1.4 of the game will load and play fine in version 1.5 ( and the other way around ). This patch touches many things like character models, scripts and quests making it mostly incompatible with version 1.0/1.1/1.1a/1.2 savegames and slightly with version 1.3, so restarting a new game or at least restarting the current chapter might be needed ( partially fixable for 1.3 with the IFO fix mentioned way below ).Any other savegame version combination will probably yield a lot of quest errors not seen on a first look.Any new game should be started with patch 1.5.As for older savegames, it depends, if you are not that far in game ( like in Chapter 1 or maybe at the start of Chapter 2 ) a full restart will be faster and safer, if you are further in game ( middle of Chapter 3 and beyond ) things can get tricky when advancing so do at least restart the chapter and do the IFO fix on that savegame.Also you can even ask a fellow forum user for a savegame here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=23708.0Q: I have a lot of saves in my SAVE directory and loading a saved game takes a lot of time, can i speed this up?A: As saved games get bigger while the game story progresses it will take more time for the game to read/load each saved game. Try to backup you saved games and only leave less than 5 saved games in the save game folder.Q: I copied ( or I try to run ) the game from a 32bit Windows installation on a 64bit Windows system and it does not start ( i copied the registry keys too )?Q: I don't have any in game subtitles and/or the menu text is missing and i don't have these registry settingsA: Missing registry settings are at fault. Some registry paths are different on 64bit Windows for 32bit applications ( like The Witcher is ). The main administrative system wide installation keys are at different locations, while the user keys are at the same location and are recreated by the game when missing.On 32bit Windows the main administrative system wide installation keys are these:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher]"InstallFolder"="C:\\Program Files\\The Witcher""Language"="3"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher\1.00.0000]
While on 64bit Windows the main administrative system wide installation keys, for The Witcher, are these ( notice the path difference ):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\CD Projekt Red][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher]"InstallFolder"="C:\\Program Files\\The Witcher""Language"="3"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\CD Projekt Red\The Witcher\1.00.0000]
So while transferring the game from a 32bit system to a 64bit one do remember to edit the saved registry keys file containing these keys and replace SOFTWARE\CDProject RED\ with SOFTWARE\\WOW6432Node\CDProject RED\ and then import them on the 64bit system.Q: The game crashes when i try to leave the swap/cemetery or I get "Cannot load module. invalid IFO file", what can i do?A: The issue is the one known as the IFO module error, you get that error when trying to to change zone (mostly in chapters 2 and 3).To fix this, you need to make some manipulations, first, if you are under XP, go to my computer, get on your C drive, open the tools menu -> Folder options, View tab. In there, look for "Hidden files and folders", click on show hidden files and folder. Next look for "Hide protected operating system files", uncheck it. If you are under Vista, go to the control panel and look for folder option, the rest of the procedure is the same : View tab. In there, look for "Hidden files and folders", click on show hidden files and folder. Next look for "Hide protected operating system files", uncheck it.Now, start the game, and load your savegame ( normal savegame, not quick or auto ). Once it is loaded, press ALT-Tab to get out of the game, go to the following folder: Windows XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\The Witcher\temp\saves\Windows Vista/7: C:\User\\AppData\Local\The Witcher\temp\saves\In that folder, delete all the files that end with the .SAV extension.Then go back in the game, move around a bit, save your game and reload it. The problem should be fixed.Q: My game is installed on a ext2/ext3 partition and it crashes while loading, what can i do? A1: Do copy or install your game on a NTFS partition while running on Windows.A2: "The Witcher" runs pretty well with WINE under Linux, and since patch 1.4 ( for the original owners ) and patch 1.5 ( for the Enhanced users ) you don't need any hacks as the TAGES disk protection was removed and the DVD disk is not needed to play the game.Q: Bad performance on my NVIDIA Optimus enabled laptop or the game complains the system does not meet the minimum requirementsA: These laptops have both an Intel video card ( for non graphic intensive tasks ) and a nVidia one ( for games and applications that need graphic power ) seamlessly switching between them as the user uses whatever apps s/he wants. The problems arise as the video driver does not know that an application needs the nVidia card active so we need to force its activation when the the desired game/app starts.First of all, be sure you have the latest video drivers for you laptop from either nVidia or from your laptop manufacturer, but always the Intel video driver needs to be installed first.To force the use of the nVidia card:1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel2. Select: Advanced View3. Navigate to: Manage 3D Settings4. Select tab entitled: Program Settings5. Use the "Add" button to find and add the .exe file(s) for the game(s) you would like to use the Nvidia card for ( eg. witcher.exe )6. Select the option "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"7. Click on "Apply"8. Exit the NVIDIA Control PanelAlso, do remember that using the nVidia card will drain your battery faster and on some laptops your video card performance might be limited when running on battery as the laptop software restricts it. These restrictions do not apply when running the laptop plugged it the mains line.Q: I get "Warning Minimum system requirement not met." even if my system hardware is better than the minimumA1: If you have a nVidia Optimus enabled laptop please see the note above first.A2: To get it to work, you will need to have at least patch 1.2 and create a shortcut to the file C:\Program Files\The Witcher\System\witcher.exe ( if you used the Default installation folder )Right click on that shortcut and go in properties, in the target box, add -dontForceMinReqsSo it should look this way: “C:\Program Files\The Witcher\System\witcher.exe” -dontForceMinReqsA guide on how to different game video settings affect game performance: The Witcher Enhanced Edition Tuning GuideIf you want to see older version of FAQ check out: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=8809.0If you will find another question worth to add (of course WITH the answer!!!) to our FAQ do not hesitate to send a Private Message to Licaon_Kter.

Part 3 by [moderator]Flash[/moderator]:All mods and adventures are made and tested with Enachanced Edition of The Witcher. No author can guarantee that his/her adventure/mod will work without The Witcher pached to version 1.4 or higher. All files required to patch The Witcher, including official adventures, can be downloaded from HERE.Question: I've downloaded additional adventures... what now? Where should I put these files?Answer: Move the file with adventure (adv file extension) to Shared documents\The Witcher\. Easiest way to find it is to browse My Computer.Q: I've downloaded some mods... what now? Where should I put these files?A: If mod's author won't state otherwise or won't release the mod in form of automated installer, the easiest way to make the mod work is to put all files inside The Witcher\DATA\override folder. If override doesn't exist, create it manually. Q: When I start one of the adventures an error message shows up - 'save game missing'. What should I do about it? A: Some adventures are not translated to your language and they won't work when it's selected in options. To play these adventures download and install English (or other) language pack for Enchanced Edition patch, then select supported language in game options.Q: When playing "Price of neutrality" and "Side effect", in both adventures some bugs occur which make finishing them impossible. I'd like to point out that I've already finished both adventures on patch 1.3 and they were working fine.A: Official adventures downloaded for patch 1.3 won't work with patch 1.4. After installing Enchanced Edition please download updated versions of adventures for patch 1.4.Q: I've installed EE and there is no adventure to choose from NEW ADVENTURES list.A: Official adventures which are part of Enchanced Edition are available as seperate downloads. Adventures should be installed seperately after installing the patch.Q: Are additional adventures dubbed, or is there only text version of dialogues?A: Official adventures have audio version of dialogues. In fan-made adventures, unless stated otherwise in adventure description, there's no audio voice recorded.Q: I've installed mod following mod's description/FAQ and it's still not working.A: It appears that some distributions of the game ignore some file types when loading the game. It has been reported that some users can't make texture mods to work. It's still not confirmed which distribution (Steam, localisation, EE, Platinum Edition) of the game is mod unfriendly.Q: Additional adventure x doesn't work with mod z.A: Most, if not all mods are made and tested only for official game. It is the adventure's author choice to make his work compatible with mods. To avoid possible bugs resulting from incompatibility, it is advised to remove all mods before playing fan-made adventures, unless adventure or mod description states otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom