Farewell Philippa. We love you.

+
Hoping there is a refund on scraps, would have picked 2 other cards for 800 scrap each if Phillipa and Regis were already like this.

^#39 yeah, like hell it would be a nice thing to do. So instead of having a finisher with Philippa on every game against NR, we would get it against... Everyone. Wonderful, really. What would be even fairer is including her in the starter decks, to be sure that even the newcomers can enjoy that new "fairness " provided.

-----

And peoples saying she's more harm than good, seriously.... Rag nar roog is a golden card that can be countered by a single bronze card and a silver card, as well as by any weather immune units. It also completely screw up your side except if your side is full of golds and immune to weather units, btw. Aeromancy is silver, still countered by a bronze, and screw both side of the board as well, so gold, weather immune, as well as not having anyone on the row (ST elves being the best at this with the agility factor) are the only choice.
Philippa is a gold card that cannot be countered by any bronze, can be countered by one unique silver, cannot be avoided by weather immune opponent (sorry Skellige and Monster decks, you're still screwed) and will NOT screw over your side of the board (<- huge) at the same time no matter what you have here. But it gives 12 str to the opponent, omg so huge!
Are you for real? Usually when philippa is used there's several times that str on the row, even not counting the gold units. BEcause Philippa is used at the end of decisive turns, usually on a completely buffed and stacked row with sometimes above one hundred in value just there. BEar in mind, you're not touching your units. And NR has almost no agile units, and has no weather resistant units (baring promoted to gold units). So if the opponent -
-was stacking on the same row as you, an aeromancy would screw your score just as much as him or almost, bad deal. Philippa kills his strength but only give a 12 to him in exchange. That's not even 2 units being caught in the weather on your side)
-was stacking str on weather immune units, philippa is still as efficient. A weather do naught, it will lower your side without lowering his, that's actually a move that may ends up lowering your side more than the opponent lol...

And btw, when I was talking about "countered" above , I was being eeextreemely large on the "counter" definition. It can only really be called be "countered" if you can play after Philippa or the weather, and it's only veeeery partially countered, because all it does is bringing back the base strength. Commander horns, healers, skald, warcry, reactive self buffing units, everything else is utterly lost in both case. So the counter is actually not even close of one. A real counter would be being able to STOP the loss from happening. Guess what, that's possible right now for every weather but Ragh Nar Roog with a silver card from scoia'tael (the others cannot tho) as wel las by using weather immune units as said above. now THAT's a really counter to weather, as you lose absolutely nothing from it. Dbomb after philipa being used on a fully buffed row is not nearly qualifying as a counter. That's giving up on every single buff you have (including on the rows that were not touched by Philippa btw) and removing them from the enemy side as well, hoping for a higher final score in base strength when adding Philippa's 12 str. Not nearly close of being a sure thing.
Especially since, like I said, you need the card advantage for this.

TL;DR. Weather have counter. Philippa, even post patch, still has nothing countering her. That's not even close as being worse than weather.

Last edited:
Zefyris
Learn not to rely heavily on temporary buffs. It's easy for Skellige and NR. Skellige even has an edge of restoring to full base strength with a d.bomb.
Or just abuse buffs to the point when your opponent is forced to use up all countermeasures. It's for Scoya'Tael.
Completely ignore Phil and just spam weather and removals. It's for Monsters.
Learn the ways you can build up card advantage with each faction, it's the core mechanic of this game, anyway.

I still don't understand where all the hate for this card came from. Several hundred games (the past 150+ of which I've logged) and I've only ever seen it used four or five times. Only two of those cases resulted in my opponent winning, too.

People seriously blew their complaints about it out of proportion. If the card honestly owned some people on a regular basis, then it's their own fault for putting too much investment on just a single row.

Yeah, CDPR over-nerfed Phillipa. Especially when you consider the buff that Dimeritium Bomb got. Possible nerfs for Phillipa that might have worked better:

1. Keep her as she was, but make her neutral. It's fair if everyone can use her, and she also makes people diversify their strengths in different rows.
2. Keep her as she was, but make her disloyal only.
3. She can't affect gold cards, but can be loyal or disloyal. When loyal, she does not affect your row. (6 STR).

yenni;n6979830 said:
Zefyris
Learn not to rely heavily on temporary buffs. It's easy for Skellige and NR. Skellige even has an edge of restoring to full base strength with a d.bomb.
Or just abuse buffs to the point when your opponent is forced to use up all countermeasures. It's for Scoya'Tael.
Learn the ways you can build up card advantage with each faction, it's the core mechanic of this game, anyway.

I also have advice for you. Learn to play a game without relying on one card, and stop whining about nerfing.

Exentryk;n6980420 said:
Yeah, CDPR over-nerfed Phillipa. Especially when you consider the buff that Dimeritium Bomb got. Possible nerfs for Phillipa that might have worked better:

1. Keep her as she was, but make her neutral. It's fair if everyone can use her, and she also makes people diversify their strengths in different rows.
2. Keep her as she was, but make her disloyal only.
3. She can't affect gold cards, but can be loyal or disloyal. When loyal, she does not affect your row. (6 STR).

1. It wouldn't have solved the problem of OP card. It would have resulted retarded gameplay where you have to have one card to be competitive at all. And instead of increasing a number of strategies it will pigeonhole them.
2. It doesn't solve the problem of a one card win you a game even if you're an idiot.
3. Same thing, Scoia'tael players will be fucked in such scenario, as usual, because Scoia'tael relies heavily on buffing of 1-2 cards, they don't have very few strong units.

yenni;n6979830 said:
Zefyris
Sorry but "it's easy for skellige? Post patch playing the shieldsmith 6 times will give you 12 strength. TWELVE. for 6 cards. Remind me of the kind of value brought by temporary buffs please? One tunderbolt potion, one single card played on a 3 bronze units (not even talking about musters here) do just as good. One card, vs 6 cards. Surely you jest. Relying on shieldsmith to win the strength counter is useless. Skellige units' strength is low, especially on the first round, where almost all units have a base value of 6 (either directly or adding str + damage to the enemy) or less and finally reach 8 on the last round. This includes shieldsmiths btw, which will now be 4+2buff. Skellige has the only muster ingame that require first to get all the card rather than one, and then to have them discarded on top of this (so a discard card). It's the only muster that require 4 cards in your hand to be played as a muster in the first round rather than one by one. Sure they can get powerful later on. They're not weather immune, cannot be breaded, but they can be replayed, so that's that. Still doesn't change my point. The skirmisher get a good buff after the first round, it's a 6 str card on the first tho. And you first need to avoid your buffed skirmisher to get stollen by a griffin, caretaker, of eaten by a ghoul, but that's the best Skellige has to offer as far as increase of base strength goes. One unit. That doesn't synergies with anything else that one type of play (buffing the skirmisher and rezing it each round).

Winning without temporary buff as skellige post patch will be extremely difficult, especially before the 3rd round hits. The golden cards don't bring especially any strength too. Birna brand is disloyal, Lugos is 4 + temporary buff, Hjalmar actually has 5 in value until you kill that damn thing (never had an opponent managing to kill it, even with a savage bear AND harald as a combo) because 10 but 5 given to the enemy (except in frost), and even then it's a temporary buff, once again. Ermion is 7. Only Cerys is base strength in her buff and require the deck to be built around her (the two silver rezer are for her, the discard are for the queensguards in priority, the priestres are for the queensguard, and any base strength are for either cerys or the queensguard).

Don't get me wrong, I like Skellige and there's a lot of utility in their units, and that's why they're not as high in sheer strength than the others. But on the downside, winning with just sheer base strength was only possible due to the current shieldsmith combo, except vs ST. which is even worse than skellige on that point.

Last edited:
Maerd;n6980460 said:
1. It wouldn't have solved the problem of OP card. It would have resulted retarded gameplay where you have to have one card to be competitive at all. And instead of increasing a number of strategies it will pigeonhole them.
2. It doesn't solve the problem of a one card win you a game even if you're an idiot.
3. Same thing, Scoia'tael players will be fucked in such scenario, as usual, because Scoia'tael relies heavily on buffing of 1-2 cards, they don't have very few strong units.

1. Not necessarily. There might be other better cards to gain turn advantage and then using DBomb to counter Phillipa. Weather cards (Aeromancy) currently are similar in effect to Phillipa. Igni is also strong.
2. Like above, it's not necessarily an I win button if both people can use it, and have counters against it.
3. SCO have a lot of other counters though, like DBomb, Scorch, Weather, etc., so Phillipa would just be another one. SCO's balance is a separate issue though.

Currently, I don't feel Phillipa is worth using over say Aeromancy. At least I'm not giving the opponent a 12 point advantage, and not wasting a Gold card spot.

Obviously phillipa is rubbish now. People who disagree about this are more than welcome to keep using her. Good luck, you will need it.

Exentryk;n6980560 said:
1. Not necessarily. There might be other better cards to gain turn advantage and then using DBomb to counter Phillipa. Weather cards (Aeromancy) currently are similar in effect to Phillipa. Igni is also strong.
2. Like above, it's not necessarily an I win button if both people can use it, and have counters against it.
3. SCO have a lot of other counters though, like DBomb, Scorch, Weather, etc., so Phillipa would just be another one. SCO's balance is a separate issue though.

Currently, I don't feel Phillipa is worth using over say Aeromancy. At least I'm not giving the opponent a 12 point advantage, and not wasting a Gold card spot.

1. Aeromancy will damage your units too. Igni destroys normally only one unit, unless you're not careful. D-bomb won't restore your buffs, especially if you're playing Scoia'tael.
2. If all people can use it it still make a lot of buffing strategies useless. More various strategies are for the best. Excessively valuable cards make the game dull and boring. Current version of Philippa is still a very strong card but not excessively valuable as before.
3. Right, d-bomb for Scoia'tael... ha-ha-ha, you buffed your power 2 units (i.e. hawker support) to strength 30 and got fucked by Philippa and you're saying that d-bomb somehow will help... same with weather, scorch usually will scorch your own hawker support.

If you don't feel that Philippa is worth over Aeromancy then just don't use it, use Aeromancy, problem solved. They are both legendary value, so they suppose to be equally usefull. Nobody promised you win the game card. It wasn't suppose to be like that in the first place.

Laveley;n6980610 said:
Obviously phillipa is rubbish now. People who disagree about this are more than welcome to keep using her. Good luck, you will need it.

I've never used her in the first place because it was not fun to play, even though I could have crafted this card. Now I actually might use this card.

Maerd;n6980660 said:
1. Aeromancy will damage your units too. Igni destroys normally only one unit, unless you're not careful. D-bomb won't restore your buffs, especially if you're playing Scoia'tael.
2. If all people can use it it still make a lot of buffing strategies useless. More various strategies are for the best. Excessively valuable cards make the game dull and boring. Current version of Philippa is still a very strong card but not excessively valuable as before.
3. Right, d-bomb for Scoia'tael... ha-ha-ha, you buffed your power 2 units (i.e. hawker support) to strength 30 and got fucked by Philippa and you're saying that d-bomb somehow will help... same with weather, scorch usually will scorch your own hawker support.

If you don't feel that Philippa is worth over Aeromancy then just don't use it, use Aeromancy, problem solved. They are both legendary value, so they suppose to be equally usefull. Nobody promised you win the game card. It wasn't suppose to be like that in the first place.

I agree with the overall sentiment that having very powerful cards would reduce strats overall, but I still feel Phillipa was over-nerfed. 2 out of those 3 nerfs would have been reasonable. Letting her be disloyal or loyal with 12 points would be okay, because she reduces the STR of your cards too if you play her as loyal.
Anyway. We can just agree to disagree on if the nerf was reasonable or not.

Stuff about Scoia, like I said before, is a separate issue.

Maerd;n6980680 said:
I've never used her in the first place because it was not fun to play, even though I could have crafted this card. Now I actually might use this card.

You'd pay 800 scraps for what will essentially become a weather card that only affects one row and gives the opponent a +12 gold card?

vodge;n6980920 said:
You'd pay 800 scraps for what will essentially become a weather card that only affects one row and gives the opponent a +12 gold card?

Weather cards affect your own row as well, her strenght is to reduce the damage of the opposing row without destroying the power of your own units on the respective row. I know you're butthurt, but she's nothing like a weather card.

Try to use a weather card when you're playing NR deck and see if has the same power as her.

PS: ALSO, SHE AFFECTS WEATHER IMMUNITY CARDS, SO YOU CAN USE HER AGAINST SKELL AND MONSTER, AND NO ONE IS PHILIPPA IMUNE.

PS²: YOU CAN'T REMOVE PHILLIPA WITH A BRONZE CARD [CLEAR SKIES]. YOU'LL NEED A SILVER CARD, REMINDING YOU THAT YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 6 OF THOSE, PLUS YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 1 COPY OF DIMITRIUM BOMB, THAT MEANS YOU HAVE 1/25 CHANCE TO GET THE CARD YOU NEED, ASSUMING YOU HAVE THE BARE MIN CARDS ON YOUR DECK.

Last edited:
zoiwillxx;n6980950 said:
Weather cards affect your row, her strenght is to reduce the damage of the opposing row without destroying the power of your own respective row. I know you're butthurt, but she's nothing like a weather card.

Try to use a weather card when you're playing NR deck and see if has the same power as her.

PS: ALSO SHE AFFECTS WHEATHER IMMUNITY CARDS, SO YOU CAN USE AGAINS SKELL AND MONSTER, AND NO ONE IS PHILIPPA IMUNE.

Only thing I'm slightly butthurt about is the scrap I've wasted. I wouldn't pay 800 scraps for what her card is being nerfed to, I could have bought something else with that. Her new form won't be in my deck because there are other gold cards I would rather have. D bomb and scorch will replace her for me, they won't give the opponent +12 either (or +14 if playing NR).

vodge;n6980920 said:

Weather cards hurt your own non-resistant units, Philippa won't. She's better than weather for many strategies. +12 is not a problem if you damage a row of double-horned units with each unit having strength 20+. Philippa is definitely has it's use but it's no longer win/save the game card, which is good. If you don't like it, use other cards, which better suit your strategy. Considering the cost of 800 then it's also a fair cost because it still can do more damage that Igni, and Igni also cost 800. A lot of cards that cost 800 don't have usefulness as nerfed Philippa. It's fair from whatever angle you might look at it.

vodge;n6980970 said:
Only thing I'm slightly butthurt about is the scrap I've wasted. I wouldn't pay 800 scraps for what her card is being nerfed to, I could have bought something else with that. Her new form won't be in my deck because there are other gold cards I would rather have. D bomb and scorch will replace her for me, they won't give the opponent +12 either (or +14 if playing NR).

You are testing the game, those scraps are going to the waste anyway. Be happy that your exploit of a broken card helped the community to direct the problem to the devs, which correctly balanced the card for future players.

+1 for your good job, now go to the game and find more exploits and broken cards so we can fix it :D

zoiwillxx;n6981000 said:
You are testing the game, those scraps are going to the waste anyway. Be happy that your exploit of a broken card helped the community to direct the problem to the devs, which correctly balanced the card for future players.

+1 for your good job, now go to the game and find more exploits and broken cards so we can fix it :D

No idea why you're being so salty, I know it's a closed beta. I'm just expressing my opinion that I don't think it will be worth 800 scrap now, nowhere have I demanded anything or got angry.

Top Bottom