Fast movement = low GPU usage

+
Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 3070
16GB 3600MHz RAM
@ 2560x1440p

As the title says, the faster I move, the lower the GPU usage gets. Drops down to 70-80% occasionally high 60s.
It's only when moving around dense city areas. Settings don't matter, usage still drops. Even lowering the resolution to 1080p made no difference. As soon as I stop moving usage goes back up to 95-99%.
Did all the basic and reccomended "fixes" already. DDU + new driver install, disableing overlays, Windows Updates blah blah blah...

Few Afterburner screens, all with High Settings + RT Ultra + DLSS Performance.
Fist one is when standing still, the rest are while driving arround city center.
1614196243748.png

1614196421764.png

1614196438753.png

1614196449974.png

I've seen similar setups performing just fine, literally with a fixed 99% usage, no matter what they do, or where they are.

Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 3070
16GB 3600MHz RAM
@ 2560x1440p

As the title says, the faster I move, the lower the GPU usage gets. Drops down to 70-80% occasionally high 60s.
It's only when moving around dense city areas. Settings don't matter, usage still drops. Even lowering the resolution to 1080p made no difference. As soon as I stop moving usage goes back up to 95-99%.
Did all the basic and reccomended "fixes" already. DDU + new driver install, disableing overlays, Windows Updates blah blah blah...

Fist one is when standing still, the rest are while driving arround city center.
View attachment 11183875
View attachment 11183884
View attachment 11183887
View attachment 11183890

I've seen similar setups performing just fine, literally with a fixed 99% usage, no matter what they do, or where they are.
I have seen people with similar pc that behave differently.
People with gtx 1060 like mine have somewhat playable framerate but i have below 20 and even 10 fps.
Your gpu does not stays 99% while similar gpu in other people setups do stays.
Although i have only 4 core 4 threads CPU i get only 54 % usage.
I bet if the game would use more CPU i would get more frames.

The game is just a joke. Broken. Unoptimized. Unfinished. Just stop playing. Wait for 1.2 patch and see then.
I have though doubts they will fix it in a month.
fpscyber.png

iCake

Forum veteran
Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 3070
16GB 3600MHz RAM
@ 2560x1440p

View attachment 11183875
View attachment 11183884
View attachment 11183887
View attachment 11183890

Sounds like there are some streaming issues here. Is the game on a HDD or SSD? SSD would be a better storage for the game, even if it is just SATA3. Also, there's a good possibility that it is your CPU lagging behind here, not being able to process the spike in data rates. Although, with 3700x... I'm running the game just fine on a 3600x, so your CPU should be good to go.

Sounds like there are some streaming issues here. Is the game on a HDD or SSD. SSD would be a better storage for the game, even if it is just SATA3. Also, there's a good possibility that it is your CPU lagging behind here, not being able to process the spike in data rates. Although, with 3700x... I'm running the game just fine on a 3600x, so your CPU should be good to go.
He has 8 core 16 threads ryzen 7 from third generation from 2019 only being used 54%.
Its not the CPU its the game fault.

iCake

Forum veteran
He has 8 core 16 threads ryzen 7 from third generation from 2019 only being used 54%.

I wouldn't be so "set" on this conclusion. While I do agree that his CPU is sufficient enough (actually more than sufficient) for this game, there's still just too many variables here to single out the game as the culprit.

I wouldn't be so "set" on this conclusion. While I do agree that his CPU is sufficient enough (actually more than sufficient) for this game, there's still just too many variables here to single out the game as the culprit.
My brother has too big problems with ryzen 1700 8 core 16 threads.
CPU usage very low.
IT's the game not being optimized to use properly the resources.
I even have 50 % usage on my CPU : i5 6400.
Imagine getting 38 FPS with RTX 3070 and ryzen 3700x. LOL.

For example in RDR2 you get more frames at 4k with similar setup:

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
My brother has too big problems with ryzen 1700 8 core 16 threads.
CPU usage very low.
IT's the game not being optimized to use properly the resources.
I even have 50 % usage on my CPU : i5 6400.

I can see your point, but I do not agree with it. I'm running the game on 3600X, which is 6 cores, 12 threads, and the game works just fine on my rig. The CPU usage can also be very well around 80 or even 90% in busy areas. As for Ryzen 1700 and your CPU, the first is not very good at single thread performance and I remember seeing a Tom'sHarware CPU test where it showed that 1700 or 1600 is not good enough for consistent 60+ fps (especially with RT) and your CPU is just a 4 threader and probably not good enough to eek out those 60 fps consistently.

That said, it might just be that the game's at fault here, not denying that, just the eagerness to jump to this conclusion.

I can see your point, but I do not agree with it. I'm running the game on 3600X, which is 6 cores, 12 threads, and the game works just fine on my rig. The CPU usage can also be very well around 80 or even 90% in busy areas. As for Ryzen 1700 and your CPU, the first is not very good at single thread performance and I remember seeing a Tom'sHarware CPU test where it showed that 1700 or 1600 is not good enough for consistent 60+ fps (especially with RT) and your CPU is just a 4 threader and probably not good enough to eek out those 60 fps consistently.

That said, it might just be that the game's at fault here, not denying that, just the eagerness to jump to this conclusion.

I get below 10 FPS. What 60 FPS.
fpscyber.png

my brother pc:
He gets ~15-18% CPU usage in heavy spot in the game. Super low usage.
I tend to believe its the game because other games work so good on my pc.
fpsmetro.png

Proper 96 % CPU usage and 99% GPU usage in Metro EXodus.

Last edited:
Sounds like there are some streaming issues here. Is the game on a HDD or SSD? SSD would be a better storage for the game, even if it is just SATA3. Also, there's a good possibility that it is your CPU lagging behind here, not being able to process the spike in data rates. Although, with 3700x... I'm running the game just fine on a 3600x, so your CPU should be good to go.

It's on an M.2
Samsung 970
Post automatically merged:

This game is the only instance where I ever manage to get the CPU to 50% or more, apart from maybe stress testing.
Not even Total War Warhammer 2 comes close with about 30-40%. That game also has similar probelms: Stuff starts to happen onscreen, GPU usage drops. But that game was never good optimized to begin with.

EDIT: It's not in my screenshots, but I also made sure that all 16 cores are beeing used. Only like 2-3 cores tend to be a bit lower in usage, but none are idling.

Last edited:
Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring, as I'm experiencing the same: 40-50 fps, no matter how low I set the resolutions or features. Screencaps were take at 1080p.

Rig
Ryzen Threadripper 1920x (OC at 3.7 ghz across all cores)
G-skill TridentZ DDR4-3000MHZ (running at 2666mhz)
GTX 1080ti
Samsung SSD 850 evo
Windows 10 Home

I've set the program's cpu priority to "High"; no effect. Close all BG Programs except for the essentials.
Screenshot (3248)-min.png
Screenshot (3244)-min.png

Last edited:
@Stinker666

That is VERY interesting.

I have similar setup: 3700X, 2080ti, 16GB 3600Mhz; @ 2560x1440p or @ 1920x1080p, SSD M.2 NVMe 1TB

I have no such issues, like the one you reported.

But for a long time I watched the "8 core Ryzen AMDs underutilized" issue.

And despite of the CD Projekt Red claim in Change Log notes, I see performance uplifts and no sudden drops in GPU Utilization after the Hex Edit for 1.12 version. BTW: it is the same as for 1.06 version. At the same time my top CPU Utilization can rise up to 87% in various scenarios, instead of topping at 54% without the hex edit.

Instruction for this hex edit for V1.12, tested and utilized by myself:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kh3nax
Can you test it and give us the feedback? I'm looking forward to it.

You do have a problem regarding max usage.
It is not good when you max out hardware.
You will likely destroy the hardware you are using.
Then you will want to sell your burnt rtx in the second hand market for a legit price.
And thats bad.

Top Bottom