Fast travel and public transportation Cyberpunk?

+

Fast travel?

• Yes, point and click.

• Public transportation ONLY.

• Public transportation, skippable (press B to skip)

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.
At the beginning of the 48 minute demo, we saw that cyberpunk has some sort of monorail system for the public to travel on. I did not see any taxi's or buses, but I'm sure they will also be included as well. Which got me thinking, will the fast travel system be similar to GTA? Instead of clicking on the map and instantly traveling to a location, you have to take public transportation or taxis to get to your destination as a means of fast travel. For me, instant fast travel (point and click) would take out the immersion of cyberpunk. If the player needs to get to point A to point B as fast as possible, the game should encourage people to use public transportation (since it rarly gets used in games). Since the delvelopers said that their were no loading screens, I'm guessing it would take the player through the entirety of their destination or have a "press B to skip". What do you think?

Public transportation only (interactive, if possible, and they've implied that's in already) . Not an issue if there's the possibility to take a nap to skip it.

They've been big on their "immersion" factor. And there's no "immersion" at all in convenience-teleports through clicking a map if there's no gameplay involved to the journey, abstracted or otherwise.

Playing Guild Wars 1 for a while has gotten me used to the whole "fast travel to any town/outpost from anywhere" thing. And in TW3, it's annoying at times to have to run all the way to a signpost that may have enemies way above your level so you just end up dying and having to run even further to another one to get to the other side of the map.

I believe Skyrim and Fallout 4 handled this by calculating the amount of time it would take for your character to walk there, and then after the loading screen, it's 5 hours later or something.

Would some sort of teleportation feature possibly via means of cyberware be accurate, lore-wise? I'd imagine some big corporation has made that technology possible.

You could also just summon a taxi and they can take you to any discovered or major location. Possibly with an option to toggle a fade-to-black if you wanna get there quick or untoggle if you wanna take in the scenery.

Proxty

Forum regular
Fast travel and a minimun of 200 points. I like easy access and movement: fast travel, no labyrinths, easy driving mechanics, lots of the most detailed maps of every floor. Just get me where I want asap.

I'm for a public transportation system but I don't see the point to not want it skippable or instant travel system as you're not forced to use it!

Yeah it would be nice to sit a taxi,bus,train or boat and just relax or if you want just press a button and skip all of it also in big modes of transport like trains and boats you should be able to around in them.

It's an interesting question.

They made a point about making the world react to your doings, which was shown by scavs ambushing you after the mission, when you were on the road to do another quest. So it's possible that there will be no public transport and the only way of travelling between point A and point B would be by car, because it will expose you to "interesting situations" such as the ambush (although it could be simply a scripted one-time event that's not going to happen again).

Some people might not know this, but with fast travel - in Skyrim, for example - you could miss out on a lot of stuff like that. Which is why I stopped using fast travel and rode the countryside on a horseback.

On the other hand, if CDPR will go for what people want, then we will have fast travel. I can't imagine something interesting happening when you are stuck in a subway (again, just an example). I also don't see much point in not allowing for fast travel if "interesting situations" can't happen procedurally, on their own (or at least frequently enough to justify making a player sit there through the entire ride). You know, somebody going cyberpsycho in a crowded bus, etc.

Then again, there is also the immersion argument (which is also the reason for strict FPP-only mode), so they could go with that design mindset when it comes to fast travel too.

Last edited:
we know there is a metro system. every gta had one but i never used it not even once. but i think with dense traffic sometimes its better to use the subway. i hope there are missions which require you to do so cause if they have one built why not use it.

Having public transportation as the only means of fast travel does significantly increases the immersion.

Agreed. They have confirmed public transport. Be it a cab or metro or whatever. I don't think point and click will be a feature as it will take from the immersion, which we all know is one of the main goals. No skippable conversations or travel would be a drag through your third playthrough I think.

You have all the votes i have(one) for unskippable/skippable travel through Night City.
I'm personally all up for unskippable travel as long as during said travel you encounter interesting events that you can take part in or otherwise ignore completely.

While I generally do not use it myself, I do not mind the availability of point and click fast travel, as long as the game is not designed in a way that it becomes a chore without fast travel (e.g. quests requiring a lot of traveling back and forth between distant locations). But I guess the city is not that large horizontally, and with the metro and car, tedious travel should not be much of an issue.

While I generally do not use it myself, I do not mind the availability of point and click fast travel, as long as the game is not designed in a way that it becomes a chore without fast travel (e.g. quests requiring a lot of traveling back and forth between distant locations). But I guess the city is not that large horizontally, and with the metro and car, tedious travel should not be much of an issue.
It should be? Or shouldn't? The game world might encourage it

At the beginning of the 48 minute demo, we saw that cyberpunk has some sort of monorail system for the public to travel on. I did not see any taxi's or buses, but I'm sure they will also be included as well. Which got me thinking, will the fast travel system be similar to GTA? Instead of clicking on the map and instantly traveling to a location, you have to take public transportation or taxis to get to your destination as a means of fast travel. For me, instant fast travel (point and click) would take out the immersion of cyberpunk. If the player needs to get to point A to point B as fast as possible, the game should encourage people to use public transportation (since it rarly gets used in games). Since the delvelopers said that their were no loading screens, I'm guessing it would take the player through the entirety of their destination or have a "press B to skip". What do you think?
The game has flying vehicles, to my knowledge the player doesn't/can't control them. I'd imagine there's some flying cab service that can pick you up/drop you off in most places. Like the signpost system in Witcher.

Considering I've played the entirety of TW3 without ever using the fast travel mechanic (except where absolutely necessary, between world areas), I wouldn't mind seeing unskippable public transportation only and this is what I voted for.

I don't know if the game will have difficulty settings, but maybe the a skippable fast travel mechanic could be made available in lower difficulties and disabled in higher ones.

Unskippable public transport? No thanks. I play games to get away from the mundane aspects of real life.

Sure it's 'realistic', but the bigger question are 'is it fun? Will it still be fun 20 hours in?'

Top Bottom