Favorite book?

+
Read the rest Dr. Strange they get WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY better. And if you don't know about the author click on the links I think you might like him he is into martial arts big time. ;D

tokingtolkien said:
Read the rest Dr. Strange they get WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY better. And if you don't know about the author click on the links I think you might like him he is into martial arts big time. ;D
Yes, I know. ;D I have a few of them laying around here that I have not really gotten to as of yet (I read...A LOT ;D).Also, anything having to do with "Magick" is high up there on my list (Check out my silly page, you will understand www.myspace.com/strange93) ;)Did you ever wacth the series on Sci-fi channel (Dresden)? If so, what did you think of it?

Yes I saw all of them, I should have added a link to the sci-fi channel web pagehttp://www.scifi.com/dresden/Although I didn't like these, so far as a list goes:1. Murphy doesn't have blond hair.2. Harry doesn't drive the"blue beetle" but a jeep.3. Harry has a big-ass studio not small-as-F**k basement apartment.4. Bob the talking skull is not a talking skull(thats a bit of a perv)but a stuffy English ghost.5. I didn't see his cat.6. Justin is his uncle in the TV show not his adopted parent.7. Harry "self-defensed" Justin as a adult not a teen as in the books.8. Harry has a hockey stick as a staff?WTF?? But no blasting rod like in the books.9. They don't bring in other supporting characters in the books like Marcone and Michel or his reporter girlfriend just the warden and Murphey.10. Harry doesn't wear his bad ass leather duster/trench coat.11. They include the Neverever or any of the more fantastic creatures from that he has faced.12. Harry doesn't perform that much magic compared to the novels.I could name a lot more but I didn't want to spoil it for you. And I know their special effect budget may not be Hollywood high for the magic/creatures and Jim Butcher did say that the show exists in an alternate version of that world to explain the differences, but still I'm enough of a purist to be a bit pissed. But I did like that show, it should be on after Doctor Who and they should move or get rid of Flash Gorden.I know how it is with a to-do list but if you can bump up the books on it.

Pretty much sums up my opinions on it. As I typed, I only read the first book, but I noticed the differences right off. I did not think it was too bad for what it was (Sci-fi channel budget...hell, they have done worse. I thought they did a pretty decent job with the Dune books). And though, I am a hockey fan, I thought the stick was silly. :-\And, will do sir. I will bump Mr. Butcher up on the list...

Crime and Punishment, DostoyevskyMaster and Margarita, BulgakovName of Rose, EcoDune, HerbertFoundation, AsimovThe Star Diaries, LemLord of the Rings, Tolkien

there is no special favourite book but I love reading at all. Some of my all time faves are:Terry PratchettTolkien (especially the Children of Hur

Favorites listed in no particular order:Caves of Steel by Isaac AsimovSolaris by Stanisław LemAt the Mountains of Madness by H. P. LovecraftThe Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DickUnder the Volcano by Malcom LowryHitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsHarvest Home by Thomas TryonThe Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen DonaldsonHouse of Chains by Steven EriksonDune Chronicles by Frank HerbertThe City and the Stars by Arthur C. ClarkeThe Recognitions by William GaddisI Am Legend by Richard Mathesonedit: As far as my absolute favorite is concerned, one that would rise above the pack would be Lovecraft.

Cassandra31EEE said:
And the book i have read most of the times is "The Clown" by Hainrigh Bell (sorry for my Germans, are not...Germans!)
A wonderful book, excellent read when those black clouds are coming again. The german title is "Ansichten eines Clowns", and the author's name is Heinrich Böll. ;)One of my all-time favourites is "The third policeman" by Flan O'Brien (I loved all his books, although In-Swimming-Two-Birds was a real fight).In literature I'm not much into fantasy, but enjoyed the books by Walter Moers ("Rumo") very much. Other favourites I keep near to the bed: "The Water-Method Man" by John Irving (hilarious book, maybe his best)A book by Andrej Kurkow I can't find the english title for.... the original title is (sorry for the lack of cyrillic characters) "Smert' postoronnego", in Germany "Picknick auf dem Eis". Wonderful melancholic story with the best support actor ever, penguin Mischa.

Again, lots, lots and lots. So I better name authors : Timothy Zahn, Stephen King, Arthur Conan-Doyle, Robert Salvatore, M. Weis and T.Hickman, Terry Brooks, Richard A. Knaak, Raymond Feist, H.P. Lovecraft, etc.

There's one thing I forgot to mention: I collect erotic literature. New stories and classics. But it's sometimes hard to get the books.

No particular order:Tolkien - LOTRSapkowski - The Witcher (anyone surprised? ;))Pratchett (Mort and Reaper Man especially)Bulgakov - The Master and Margarita Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game

Cassandra31EEE said:
Has any of you ever read the "100 years of loneliness", by Gabriel Garcia Marquess?Another masterpiece, i 've read it two times, because...100 years are too many to remember at once! :DMarquess is a writer with such a strong imagination, that he can move mountains! I love him...
me too. Not read this in years, must do so again I have read it many times, he is great. Jorge Louis Borges is anouther fav. of mine from S. AmericaI would pick The Tain bo Cualnge (The cattle raid of cooley) An ancient Irish masterpiece but its fun and an exciting read. Also goes by the name of The Tain

Harry potter, hands downAllthough: I love dickens, and alexander dumas. I have grown reading margaret weis, tracy hickman, eoin colfer, jeffrey archer, stephen king , peter straub, and enid blyton (don''t know why i put her on here). Anyways, i will soon be reading a kickass fantasy novel called the witcher. Oh, and if anyone is looking for a good fantasy saga, i highly recommend the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher, the fourth book in the series, Captain's fury is coming out in december.

Top Bottom