Favorite book?

+
Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison. Phule's Company and M. Y. T. H series by Robert Aspirin. The Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss (desperately awaiting Book 3), Xanth series by Piers Anthony.

Way of Wyrd - Tales of an Anglo Saxon Sorcerer by Brian Bates. This one might sound familiar to metal fans; British thrash band Sabbat did a kind of concept album about it in 1989 called Dreamweaver.

Also like Red Dragon by Thomas Harris and C. J. Sansom's Shardlake series very much.

I remember reading a few of the Stainless Steel Rat books as a child.

I don't read anywhere near as much fiction as I used to, but I've been back to The Chronicles of Amber (series of books by Roger Zelazny) a couple of times. There's also a PnP RPG based on it (although quite hard to get hands on the physical books for it nowadays).

Pretty obscure by most people's standards, and nothing cyberpunk or fantasy or sci-fi about it, but Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima (in English translation).

I don't think I've ever seen another author drop you into a human world (in this case, post-war Japan with a yearning for imperial times) with such poetic grace and economy of words and it's strangely magical.

You've gotten into a subject i like Books, i've read books like T.H.White The once and future king,Molly Cochran & Warren Murphy The forever king also James Clavell Tai-Pan and Shogun and Gai-jin and other books like Dune, The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher plus J.R.R tolkien Lord of the rings, The legend of Sigurd & Gudrun,The children of Hurin and the Hobbit. i have alot more but it would take too long to list.

Few days back i finished Words of Radiance from Brandon Sanderson and i LOVED IT! Probably the best fantasy book i have ever read.

Too hard to pick a singular book, but my loves are, and not in any particular order:

H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe, The Witcher series, Tolkein, Steven King's The Dark Tower series and Salem's Lot

Probably The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien.

But I also really like:
Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Dune by Frank Herbert
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by J.K. Rowling (don't judge me, I was eleven when the first book came out)
Justice as Fairness: A Restatement by John Rawls
Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
On Liberty by John Stuart Mill
Pensees by Blaise Pascal
The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell
The Ego Trick by Julian Baggini
The Epistle of James
The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, & John Jay
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Martian by Andy Weir
The Metaphysics of Morals by Immanuel Kant
The Sword of Destiny by Andrezej Sapkowski
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
X-Wing: The Bacta War by Michael Stackpole

Last edited:
Probably The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien.

But I also really like:
Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Dune by Frank Herbert
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by J.K. Rowling (don't judge me, I was eleven when the first book came out)
Justice as Fairness: A Restatement by John Rawls
Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
On Liberty by John Stuart Mill
Pensees by Blaise Pascal
The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell
The Ego Trick by Julian Baggini
The Epistle of James
The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, & John Jay
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Martian by Andy Weir
The Metaphysics of Morals by Immanuel Kant
The Sword of Destiny by Andrezej Sapkowski
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
X-Wing: The Bacta War by Michael Stackpole
This is an eclectic list!

I remember when I read this -- if my memory doesn't fail me, it was recommended to me ;) -- and being extremely surprised towards the end.
It was very different from anything I'd read before, but also a really good book.

I remember my best friend and I had pre-ordered copies as soon as the option had become available, and we had sort of a bet going on about whether Harry would turn out to be a Horcrux. She said yes, and I said no because he'd need to die if he was one.

And, well... I can't say I was happy with how the story turned out to go. :D
Still love the series though, of course.

Prosper Mérimée's Carmen a great book and the famous opera "Carmen" is based on it.
A study in scarlet
The Hound of Baskerville
The ABC Murders
The Lady of The Lake (My favorite in the series of the witcher books)
IT
And many many more .....

My favorite books are the following series: The Belgariad, The Mallorean, The Elenium, and The Tamuli by David Eddings. I have read the 16 books in these series, 5 books in each of the first two and 3 in each of the last two, so many times that I broke the spines on them and had to replace them. The only other series that happened to for me was The Lord of the Rings and that was because the books were so thick I haven't replaced them though, considered it several times as they do not grab me the way that Eddings did.

Top Bottom