Favorite book?

+
Well, there are cool russian author Nick Perumov, he have some great fantasy stories, other russian Lukyanenko fantasy stories also. Alexander Dumas french of course read almost all father's and son's works, Stevenson, Robelt Salvatore and his Dark Elf sage. Well alot of classical readers, actually you cant say favorite author, because each author write in unic way, each have specific, different from others, style and technique.

The best book/series of all time is the remnants series best sci-fiction book ever,Than (in order) are the rest of my favorite booksThe halo book series.Day off the triffids is also so great

Well, i know it's an old topic, but talking about books is always a pleasure, and besides that, we must have something to discuss until The Witcher be on to our monitors, so we 'll be talking about it then! ;)I can't choose only one book, but i 'll try to write down as few as i can. "The Last Temptation" by Nikos Kazantzakis. This book have marked me...Another one wich did that to me, is "Johny took his gun", i can't remember the writer's name right now.And the book i have read most of the times is "The Clown" by Hainrigh Bell (sorry for my Germans, are not...Germans!)

My favourite book is The Egyptian (Sinuhe egyptiläinen) by Mika Waltari. I also love Sapkowki's books, Pratchet's books and Roger Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber.

Has any of you ever read the "100 years of loneliness", by Gabriel Garcia Marquess?Another masterpiece, i 've read it two times, because...100 years are too many to remember at once! :DMarquess is a writer with such a strong imagination, that he can move mountains! I love him...

Tolkien's booksThe WitcherNik Perumov's books (lots of them, but the best are probably "Death of Gods" and "Warrior of Great Darkness")Sergej Lukjanenko's Night/Day-/Dawn-/Last-Watchand Robert Asprin's MYTH series.

J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings (Trilogy)A. Sapkowski - The Witcher ;)H.P. Lovecraft - Call of CthulhuJ.Grzędowicz - Popiół i KurzS.E. Ambrose - Band of Brothers

Orson Scott Card - Ender's gameA. Sapkowski - The Witcher stories/sagaRyszard Kapuścinski - HebanPhlip K. Dick books cant remmber the titles atm....And much more :)

Frank Herbert - Dune (saga)J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings (Trilogy)A. Sapkowski The Witcher (saga)Umberto Eco Name of the Rosa Dan Brown Da Vinci Codeand I also like books written by John Grisham...

Cassandra31EEE said:
Has any of you ever read the "100 years of loneliness", by Gabriel Garcia Marquess?Another masterpiece, i 've read it two times, because...100 years are too many to remember at once! :DMarquess is a writer with such a strong imagination, that he can move mountains! I love him...
Yep , read it was great :)I have read alot of great books, its really quite impossible to choose one i liked best, specially since they were read each in different part of my life...

Iwona said:
Frank Herbert - Dune (saga)J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings (Trilogy)A. Sapkowski The Witcher (saga)Umberto Eco Name of the Rosa Dan Brown Da Vinci Codeand I also like books written by John Grisham...
Nice also read most of them , great books.Dune is really a masterpiece read all of the books .Such a shame he hasnt finished it:( left feeling me so furious aty end of dune chapterhouse...Umberto Eco Name of Rose another book i loved. Its really great.Surprisngly the movie is imho nearly as good , have you seen it?You might also want to check Baudolino if you liked Name of Rose , i was to enourmoured with it.I read Code by Dan Brown and I must say it got me hooked and was reading it with enthusiasm but imho it isnt really a great book:)But sure maybe in its genre i cant deny it sucks you in...I read a second one of his named Digital Fortress , and it was also well written but i was constantly irritated by childish/innacurate description of informatics related stuff :) (im a programmer)

Definitely The Sword of Truth (saga). Writen by an American author, Terry Goodkind. I read it in French, but when I would have some time, I'll read it in its original version :pThe story is just awesome and deals with everything : love, magic, political issues, adventure, plot etc. Well, it would be too long to talk more about it, but each time I finished one of the book, I'm really eager to read the following. Never felt like that for a book :pI also love Bernard Werber's book (a French author). Each of his books are impress with some kind of philosophy, not a borring one, but a "I make you think" one. And all that with a story :p Anyway, great author, try it if you understand French.And finally, Maxime Chatam, also a French author, who lives now in the USA. He's writes thriller with an awesome style which is very nice to read. __Given all the good which is said about Dune, I think I'm gonna read it. And The Witcher of course ... But I don't have much time so :-[ Anyway.

KB said:
Definitely The Sword of Truth (saga). Writen by an American author, Terry Goodkind.
I just love this saga !! ;DI read it in french too, this is very a great book !Personally, my favorite books are : The "Everworld" trilogy ... just wonderfull ...And most of the David GEMMELL's books : like Waylander :D

Tom32i said:
Personally, my favorite books are : The "Everworld" trilogy ... just wonderfull ...
I forgot it ... The first saga I ever read. It's with this book I discover my need to read fantasy books :p But I won't say it's my favorite book eventhough it's the saga which made me want to discover more of that kind. I'd rather say it's "the trigger" book ;D

I don't have a favorite book or book series.Obviously J.R.R.Tolkien and his LOTR would be way, way up there on a list.If for fiction then, Fantasy and Sci-Fi are my favorite genres and I am well read in them.As for Andrzej Sapkowski I've only read the little pocket English copy of "The Lesser Evil" that you get from GameStop if you pre-order as part of a promotional deal. I liked it a lot! ;DDid anyone else but that one guy on that tread catch it's a play on the Snow White story?Anyway I will get "The Last Wish" sooner or later.But there is a series that I'm reading now (as they come out) that I want to endorse a lot. I think the people on this site will like them a lot. Let me introduce it for those who haven't read them yet. Who here is familiar with Harry Potter? Likely everyone. Well this character and the series have been described as Harry Potter for adults. Let me explain what I mean by that. In the second book "Fool Moon" which is where Harry finds wolf prints at a murder seen during a full moon, that means guess what Werewolves(that is not a spoiler you can figure that out by just looking at the book jacket)and so in a seen in the book. Harry is held hostage by a group of werewolves in a old garage at night when a another group come in and kill the others, but this is where it gets messed up, they brutally slay the first group become drenched in their blood and ichors and guts then the female comes sexualy onto the alpha male and they change into wolf form while eating the dead bodies of their foes and f**king like crazy while another male joins in the blood orgy while Harry is forced to watch. That is what I mean when I say HP for adults. I mentioned that because some people are going to see some similarities between the two and I didn't want anyone to think it's just some kiddie crap. Well the series is "The Dresden Files"By Jim ButcherThe main character is "Harry Dresden" as in "Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden" (Named by his father after Harry Houdini, Harry Blackstone, Sr., and David Copperfield) his father was a stage magician (not a famous one too) (also FYI Jim was writing these books around the same time as J.K. was hers but before "Potermaina" so he didn’t rip her off). Harry however is a Wizard, as in can cast real magic, in an alternate real-world current Chicago. Well here is a quote off the JB website. "Take Sam Spade, your Average Joe Underdog Action Star, and toss in some spellcraft, and you get Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Heck of a guy." Here is something else off the books Harry Dresden – WizardLost items found. Paranormal Investigations.Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.No Love Potions, Endless Purses, orOther Entertainment.That’s from his ad in the yellow pages (yes he advertises in the yellow pages). The books are about his cases in Chicago, they are like a mix of old noir gumshoe murder mysties, horror-supernatural tales and wisecracking dark sarcasm. And they are very, very good with just the right twists, they do have black and white to them but they also have grey and not everything is as it seems. The books are more entertainment then morality plays but they do cover many adult issues like redemption and seduction and temptation (one of Harry's best friends is a literal Holy Knight he wields a blade that is supposed to hold one of Christ's nails in it and for another example Harry has a fairy godmother, literaly, only she and the other fairies in the series are NOT the Disney version. She is a hot young thing that is hot-to-trot.)There are others I could give but you should get the idea. These books are stand alone but they follow a pattern so you should start from the first to the latest, here they are in order from first to the latest at the bottom including omnibus editions and audio books.No. Title Release date ISBN CommentsBooks1 Storm Front April 1, 2000 ISBN 0-4514-5781-1 paperback2 Fool Moon January 1, 2001 ISBN 0-4514-5812-5 paperback3 Grave Peril September 1, 2001 ISBN 0-4514-5844-3 paperback4 Summer Knight September 3, 2002 ISBN 0-4514-5892-3 paperback5 Death Masks August 5, 2003 ISBN 0-4514-5940-7 paperback6 Blood Rites August 3, 2004 ISBN 0-4514-5987-3 paperback7 Dead Beat May 3, 2005 ISBN 0-4514-6027-8 hardcoverMay 2, 2006 ISBN 0-4514-6091-X paperback8 Proven Guilty May 2, 2006 ISBN 0-4514-6085-5 hardcoverFebruary 6, 2007 ISBN 0-4514-6103-7 paperback9 White Night April 3, 2007 ISBN 0-4514-614-01 hardcover10 Small Favor April 1, 2008 (tentative) - hardcoverOmnibus editions1 Wizard for Hire March 2005 ISBN 0-7394-5193-6 hardcover (Storm Front, Fool Moon, and Grave Peril)2 Wizard by Trade March 2006 ISBN 0-7394-6581-3 hardcover (Summer Knight and Death Masks)3 Wizard at Large October 2006 ISBN 978-0-7394-7658-1 hardcover (Blood Rites and Dead Beat)4 Wizard Under Fire May 2007 ISBN 978-0-7394-8344-2 hardcover (Proven Guilty and White Night)Audiobooks1 Storm Front July 2002 ISBN 0-9657-2550-2 ISBN 0-9657-2556-1 MP3-CD2 Fool Moon August 2003 ISBN 0-9657-2552-9 ISBN 0-9657-2558-8 MP3-CD3 Grave Peril October 28, 2004 ISBN 0-9657-2555-3 ISBN 0-9657-2559-6 MP3-CD4 Summer Knight March 2007 - ISBN 0-9790749-3-2 MP3-CDHere is something off the Wiki article about graphic novels,In October 2007, Jim Butcher revealed on his website that Dabel Brothers would be producing a Dresden Files comic book series, similar to the Anita Blake graphic novel series:"Working together with Dabel Brothers Productions, the Dresden Files are going to be translated into a graphic novel format. The current plan is to lay out the Dresden Files storyline at the rate of one of the novels every twelve to sixteen monthly issues, with occasional side-trips and independent stories thrown in. (Ever wonder what happened in Branson the month before Storm Front? How about what somebody saw in the lake in Minnesota between Storm Front and Fool Moon? Maybe I’ll get to tell those stories now! How cool is that?)I will be assisting with the writing of the comics, and am also involved in the design and approval of the characters, art, tone, and so on. This is an actual hand-in-hand project in which I have full creative input and influence, and I’m friggin’ giddy about it. I mean, come on! Comic books!"There was a series based on these books on the Sci-Fi channel that lasted 1 season but is in limbo right now, you can find episodes on Stage6 but wait till after you read the books because there are some big differences between the two.Well that’s all I'm going to say about this series other thenThe series garners a strong following and is now available in several languages, including Russian, Czech, Polish, and Mandarin Chinese. (From wiki)And a few websites to look at,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Butcher#_note-dresdentv5http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/http://www.wizardsharry.com/fun2.html (I think a relative of Jim set this one up)http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/http://www.amazon.com/dp/045146155Xhttp://dresdencity.org/http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/09/14/bring-back-the-dresden-files-drum-stick-campaign/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Butcher#_note-dresdentv5]http://stage6.divx.com/videos/search:dresden+files]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Butcher#_note-dresdentv5FYI Please stay away from the wiki article about the book series until you read the books, WAY TOO MANY SPIOLERS!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Top Bottom