Favorite Quest Line in The Witcher series?

+
As the title says, I'm curious about what people's favorite quest lines/story arcs/etc. are in the game series and why. For me, it's either The Bloody Baron (common choice I know) because it just really hit hard watching the baron unravel as he had to come to reality with everything he had done, or in TW2 the more fleshed out concept of either siding with Iorveth or Roche and watching friends' reactions when making those choices.

I think the more interesting question is what questline most exceeded common expectations. There are plenty of go-to examples of grand, epic main-storyline moments that culminate hours of character-building and arcs, but let's face it, Witcher 3's uniqueness among RPGs is the depth and quality of its side content, to the point that it's nearly indistinguishable. That's why my favorite quest was "Carnal Sins", where you hunt a serial killer prowling the streets of Novigrad. On top of being an excellent medieval-noir detective story in its own right, and one that cleverly employs Geralt's monster-hunting skills in a very unique context, I had assumed it was part of the main plot, due to the degree of personal harm the killer had done to one of Geralt's friends. The notion that such an involved narrative was completely optional blew my mind when I learned otherwise, and only made me respect this world's depths even more.

I think the more interesting question is what questline most exceeded common expectations. There are plenty of go-to examples of grand, epic main-storyline moments that culminate hours of character-building and arcs, but let's face it, Witcher 3's uniqueness among RPGs is the depth and quality of its side content, to the point that it's nearly indistinguishable. That's why my favorite quest was "Carnal Sins", where you hunt a serial killer prowling the streets of Novigrad. On top of being an excellent medieval-noir detective story in its own right, and one that cleverly employs Geralt's monster-hunting skills in a very unique context, I had assumed it was part of the main plot, due to the degree of personal harm the killer had done to one of Geralt's friends. The notion that such an involved narrative was completely optional blew my mind when I learned otherwise, and only made me respect this world's depths even more.

I loved that one too!

This is a tough choice.

My initial thought is the Carmen/Vincent questline in the Witcher 1. The one involving curing a werewolf. Like what was said above about Carnal Sins it is a side-quest that doesn't feel like a sidequest. The Witcher 1 and 3 do that a lot. Undertaking this quest not only adds an entirely light upon the choice you make with Vincent in Chapter 3 but unlocks new options during that moment. It ends with one of my favorite moments of the series as an improbable love conquers the curse after every other method fails. It's so sweet and Geralt's narration really sums it up

In a world dominated by scorn and meanness, a world full of bandits and murderers... True love can still work wonders. Lost causes are worth a struggle.

The Bloody Baron questline is also great as everybody knows.

But I think the greatest would be the main questline of Hearts of Stone. Nothing is wasted in those quests and every moment is fun. Individually the quests are interesting. Attending a wedding while possessed. Robbing an auction house vault. Exploring a haunted mansion.

Those are all compelling on their own. The narrative that connects them all is what elevates them from fun to great. Not only for justifying why they happen but in obvious and not-so-obvious ways they deepen Olgierd's story. Shani's lines at the end of the wedding is foreshadowing how to defeat Gaunter. The sibling rivalry between the Borsodi's foreshadows that Olgierd sacrificed his own beloved brother for Iris.

Gaunter is a very interesting, unique threat. By the end of the questline I was actually afraid Gaunter's gifts for siding with him were all cursed so I refused the reward. That's how powerful the writing was to trick me into refusing a reward.

But I think the greatest would be the main questline of Hearts of Stone. Nothing is wasted in those quests and every moment is fun. Individually the quests are interesting. Attending a wedding while possessed. Robbing an auction house vault. Exploring a haunted mansion.

Those are all compelling on their own. The narrative that connects them all is what elevates them from fun to great. Not only for justifying why they happen but in obvious and not-so-obvious ways they deepen Olgierd's story. Shani's lines at the end of the wedding is foreshadowing how to defeat Gaunter. The sibling rivalry between the Borsodi's foreshadows that Olgierd sacrificed his own beloved brother for Iris.

Gaunter is a very interesting, unique threat. By the end of the questline I was actually afraid Gaunter's gifts for siding with him were all cursed so I refused the reward. That's how powerful the writing was to trick me into refusing a reward.

You know, I played Blood and Wine before playing Heart of Stone, and I really didn't like Heart of Stone at first, but I'm coming to agree with you the more I play it. And the wedding while possessed, probably one of my all-time favorite gaming moments. So much fun!

HoS and in particular Scenes from Marriage. Well written, interesting premise and monsters, creepy atmosphere befitting the setting and appropriate sound effects. I genuinely felt sorry for Iris.
IMO the best quest line and quest of the entire game, DLCs included.

I actually liked the whole murder mystery questline in Vizima in Witcher 1 very much.
Asking different people and suspecting them (maybe wrongly, especially Thaler) was great and seemed so well thought out at the time.
And the "secret ending", when you provoke the (fake) Raymond/Azar and he simply kills you.

I've also heard, that some dialogue lines in that quest are cut compared to the Polish version – and after watching the questline in English on youtube, I have to say: It's true, in english some of the conclusions Geralt comes to seem strange, but in Polish it makes sense, because the characters give more details.

The plots I enjoyed the most from all 3 games were the ones that took the player to a variety of locations and places that created a beautiful atmosphere with the music, sound, and visuals alongside ones where Geralt connects with people important to him. The northernmost areas of the game, around Kaer Morhen and the isle of Skellige were the most fascinating. The numerous quests around the Islands and the fresh outdoor open road feel were invigorating in the way that reading a book took my imagination into a different world. The massive outdoor world is better than any other game I've seen, but without the cityscapes like Novigrad, Vizima, and Oxenfurt, I'd be less appreciated. I enjoyed that massive long plots were in both cities and on the road in the third game, and how you could easily swap between them.

In the first and third games, the music and scenery at Kaer Morhen (particularly the music in the first game for the keep) just made me want to wander its empty halls or chat with each character and spend some quality time with them. It definitely captured my imagination right from the first game. I think the first game has some of the best music.

Too many characters you meet are ugly generic caricatures, whereas only Geralt himself and the sorceresses, and hookers are attractive, to the extent the 'eye candy' aspect of the game is far too overdone alongside the ugly personalities and appearances of most common characters. This is the worst in the first and second games. The third game has more characters who don't feel driven to quite the same extreme in terms of how unpleasant they're meant to be.
The best quests and plots were ones you do alongside the Witchers, Triss and Yennifer, Ciri, Regis, Shani, Dandelion, and Zoltan.
Second to that, ones involving prominent figures or unique characters like Foltest, Adda, Kalkstein, Saskia, Roche, Iorveth, Olgierd von Everec, The Bloody Baron, Emir Var Emhrys, Gaunter O'Dimm, Crach an Craite and his kids, Duchess Anna Henrietta etc. etc.

I've just been playing the DLC content recently, and I have to say I really loved the Hearts of Stone DLC. Maybe it's because my memory of Witcher quests is a bit foggy since it's been a while, but I haven't had so much fun in a quest for a long time.
For anyone yet to run through this expansion, I highly recommend it. And if you don't have the DLC, you can always run through it on Youtube and experience the awesome feeling of choice you get from Witcher Quests by playing an Interactive Quest version. You will be able to choose what Geralt does via end screens at the end of every clip. Enjoy. :)

Bald Mountain (TW3), With a Flickering Heart (TW2), The Secrets of Loc Muinne (TW2), The Spellbreaker (TW2), Hunting Magic (TW2), Of His Blood and Bone (TW2).

If I have to chose one : Dead Man's Party (Hearts of Stone).
In other quests, there are lot of good moments, but in this one since the beginning until the end, it's awesome.
Vlodimir is my hero^^

The Witcher 1 Prologue. They even remastered it for Witcher 3. My most favorite thing in this quest. Witchers in action together. But not just 2. All 5 wichers of kaer morhen and their sorceress fights together. I wish we see more witchers together in future games

Top Bottom