Favourite Character in the Witcherverse

+
Geralt of course. Others are, Regis, Yennefer, Roche, Bonhart, Ciri. and more too. I honestly like all the characters Sapkowski wrote. As well as those created in the games. Cant find a weak character.

Aside from Geralt, i'd say Regis, Bonhart, Ciri, Yennefer, Yarpen and Essi Daven from the books. From games it has to be Letho and Gaunter O'Dimm =)

Last edited:
i got 3 words for you guys: Field. Marshal. Windbag
and there you have it, this debate is officially over! :smoke:

jokes aside, my favourite is probably Yarpen, although Milva can be pretty hilarious aswell.

having said that picking one is actually more difficult than i expected. As soon as i read the title of the thread, my mind immediately went to yarpen.... but then, as i kept reading the other posts, it became increasingly difficult to make up my mind. As i scrolled through the characters u guys mentioned, i found myself thinking:
"oh yes, Dijkstra is also quite a deep and interesting character.... and Philippa....... and Cahir.... Yennefer herself has a very complex personality"

u gotta hand it to Sapkowski, when it comes to character development, he really, really knows his stuff. When you think of it, even a minor, non recurring character such as Nivellen is so beautifully designed, and in such detail. And we're not even talking about a novel... it's a character from a short story for pete's sake!

as for the games, the work CDprojektred did with Olgierd von Everecc is simply jaw-dropping. and Gaunter O' Dimm himself is such a fantastic character. Whoever designed and developed those 2 characters has nothing to envy to a great novelist in my opinion.

Last edited:
So many great characters (I only played the games), but my personal favorite would have to be Roche. He may not be the most complex or interesting, but he's an awesome friend with a pretty tragic story. As for honorable mentions:

-Geralt (is one of the best protagonists in any medium for me)
-Yen (a complex and misunderstood character)
-Ciri (very relatable with a beautiful relationship with Geralt)
-Dijkstra (funny as all hell with an actual head on his shoulders)
-Dandelion and Zoltan (I'll just group these two together, they're awesome friends to Geralt and it's always nice seeing Geralt so happy to be talking to them)
-Lambert (a dick, but a hilarious and sympathetic one)
-Cerys (a strong female character done perfectly)
-Gaunter O'Dim (one of the creepiest villains I've ever encountered in a game)
-Olgierd Von Everec (tragic character who really grows on you)

There's just so many more

Last edited:
1. Regis Rohellec Terzieff-Godefroy

Wise and charismatic companion of Geralt and simply the best character from the books. His talk about vampires is legendary.

2. Olgierd von Everec

In my opinion Olgierd is the best character from the games. He is an antagonist who did terrible things, but at the same time he is likeable and if you help him, he seems to become a better man. CDP did such a great job with him - he really looks like a man with the heart of stone. All the characters around him - his Free Company, Vlodimir, Iris and last but not least Master Mirror - they are all perfect. And the boss fight is awesome - I enjoyed the fight itself as well as You're immortal track (which belongs among the best ones in the whole TW series) and the Deluge reference. There are so many details that make him memorable, I am simply overwhelmed.

3. Philippa Eilhart

I love sorceresses and Philippa is a fascinating one. Sometimes ally, sometimes antagonist, she just follows her agenda, fails, but always survives. And I really enjoy her conversations with Geralt. I probably liked her most in TW2 - her megascope talk with triss, lesbomancy and Loc Muinne roam (blinded sorceress killing everything she hears) are just a few examples of moments I will not forget.

4. Sigismund Dijkstra

Both in TW3 and books he is one of the best characters. His dialogues with Geralt are great, but also his mission to Kovir and conversation with Esterad Thyssen in the Lady of the Lake is magnificent. What a pity that he acts like a fool in the end of the Reason of State quest.

5. Gaunter O'Dim

The true devil who uses poorly formulated wishes to ruin people's lives is the best (pure) villain in TW3. And meeting Professor Shakeslock...you just feel how dangerous Gaunter is.

6. Geralt of Rivia

No comment, he is a great protagonist.

7. Letho of Gulet

Before HoS he was for sure the best antagonist of TW series. I really appreciate that I didn't have to kill him and that it made sense story-wise. Vodka?

8. Thaler

When I play TW1, I always look forward to Vizima Confidential quest and meeting Thaler.

9. Azar Javed

He is intimidating and has great quotes (though they are not original as he only repeats what Vilgefortz said). Anyway, in my opinion he is a good antagonist and I replayed his key scenes many times. If only I could say the same about Eredin.

10. The best character from Blood and Wine

I need at least one spot for the best character from the upcoming expansion as CDP promised a memorable and charismatic villain. I am looking forward to it!

Honorable mentions: Leo Bonhart, Rience, Eskel, Lambert, Triss, Yennefer, Zoltan Chivay, Field Marshal Duda, Borch Three Jackdaws, Dandelion, Vernon Roche, Iorveth, Siegfried of Denesle, Vincent Meiss, Jethro, Kalkstein, Lytta Neyd, Dethmold of Ban Ard, all the other sorceresses and mages,...

Last edited:
I can't really choose just one, but it'd probably be out of Regis, Cahir or, Milva. Essi too, even though she had a far more minor role.

Reading through the saga again and just finished 'The Swallow's Tower'

The conversation Cahir haves with Geralt, when he is delirious after getting scalped, about why he needs to see Ciri again really endears him to me but then I think about how entertaining Regis is and it makes splitting the two impossible.

These books are so good and the characters so well written that I still laugh or get the 'feels' even though I already know what is happening and about to happen.

Apart from the obvious one's (Geralt, Yen, Ciri etc that we all love), I'm gonna have to go with Djikstra.
I know there are many great characters. But there's just something about him.. He is dead serious but at the same time hilarious, I have laughed out loud from his lines many times.
He's intelligent, but calculating. It pained me to finish the Reason of State quest, I physically had to quit the game for the rest of the day. It was just awfull. It really pained me.

As for the game and apart from the main characters, I like Lambert. He's just so cheeky and dislikeable (can't find other word for this one). I also like Philippa Eilhart, eager to read more about her in the books.

well, I've only read the Sword of Destiny so I'd say I like Essi Daven (the siren and young dryad too).

I've actually only played the first game so far, about to start the second one. But in the first one I really liked Triss, Zoltan is awesome and of course Geralt haha. Besides these I also kind of liked the Captain Vincent and it was really cool to do tasks for the lady of the lake as well.

Guest 3874899

In the books Dandelion (dat blunt honest loving insolance of his towards Geralt and his love for life/cheeriness makes me really like him, almost everyone else is soo bloody serious).
In the games definitely Zoltan and Iorveth a close second.
In the Polish TV-series young Ciri (the actor was just so unbelievably cute! I wish ingame young Ciri was that cute too)

Beside Geralt himself, who I ultimately adore....

1-Gaunter O'Dimm
2-Keira Metz
3-Philipa Eilhart
4-Vernon Roche
5-Triss Merigold

1) Hjalmar
2) Lambert
3)Vesemir
4)Olgierd
5)Vlodimir Von Everec (his ghost character is one of the best quest i have ever done in the Witcher)

and a bonus one: Odrin

This series has so many incredible characters, that I'm not sure where to start.

I'd probably have to go:

4. Roach (Yes, the horse.).
3. Eskel.
2. Those three Welsh guys (Eredin, Imlerith, Caranthir.).
1. Geralt.

Geralt, first and foremost for being the ultimate badass protagonist.

In no particular order (from both books and games):

Vilgefortz
Regis
Borch (Villentretenmerth)
Cahir
O'Dimm
Mousesack (Ermion)
Leo Bonhart
Philippa Eilhart
Zoltan
Philip Strenger (Bloody Baron)

Last but not the least, Trolololo

1.) Cerys

My #1 game character. I love strong female characters — and I mean strong in personality, not merely armored supermodels. Cerys is perfect: intelligent, patient, sensible, and determined. I really enjoyed the quests with her involved; the one with Udalryk was already very compelling, but her presence was an additional bonus. She was similar to how I'd envisioned book!Ciri.

2.) Letho

Still waters run deep. I admired his cunning, especially how he deceived those who assumed he was just a dumb meathead. I didn't shed any tears for the Northern monarchs, sovereigns are rarely upstanding people anyhow, so I let him live. I feel he could've been alike Geralt had circumstances been different. I read that he intended to use the land Emhyr had promised him to start a 'safe haven' for Witchers where they could be free of prosecution, which is endearing even if unrealistic. Though he doesn't get much screentime in TW3, I was pleased to have him as an optional ally.

3.) Emhyr

I don't 'like' Emhyr as a person nor would I want to be friends with him, but I enjoy his character from a neutral perspective. In the books he was a very complex personality and political mastermind; having been cursed, exiled, and his inheritance usurped laid the foundation for his ruthlessness in affairs of state. He still retained a semblance of humanity and honor despite his implacability, which was the quality about him I found most unexpected, yet compelling. Although he looked and sounded perfect, TW3 didn't do his character justice. He was practically an expy of Tywin. The scant few scenes he appears in and his disdain towards Geralt means we don't see many facets of his personality. Disappointing.

Honorable mention: Uma

Last edited:
Top Bottom