Favourite Monster

+
Favourite Monster

What is your favourite monster in the Witcher universe and Why? What other mythological monsters (preferably eastern european to stay in the theme) would you like to see in The Witcher 3?

For me in the first Witcher in the beginning the drowners, although they become too easy and annoying later on. I also like the Vodyanoi because they are so mysterious when you first meet them with the offering. The female dryad is just hot. XD Oh and I love the fleders.

I must admit that I liked the monsters in the second one less. Don't really have a favourite there. I liked them, but for each of them, I can find one of the first game, that I liked more. :)/>

In the books probably the sirens. I just loved the short story.

Looking forward to more monster variety again in the third one. And bring back the different variations and similar kinds in the same species.

Trolls.

I like them because the ones in TW2 had nicely fleshed out personalities, they were practically secondary characters. In fact, before meeting the Troll in Flotsam I hardly gave a thought to the inner or private life of a monster.

Yeah, trolls in TW2 were good. The thing is, though, that although I like the combat, I'm not really such a fan of the tendency of both Witcher games just throwing loads of respawning monsters at you. Encounters like the one with the Bruxa in The Last Wish, that kind of stuff just seems a lot more interesting to me. It does sound sometimes as if they're going more in that direction with TW3... less 'mass-combat', more individual tracking/hunting down.

Cockatrice. I want a lot of them in TW3.

My favorite monster from folklore is a bone man, a monster of a Native American Modoc tribe. He is just a skeleton, but a cool one. Also long time ago I was freaked out by shadow people, or shadow monsters, creatures made out of shadow, and so virtually invincible. When I was 8, some bastard in a scout camp scared a crap out of us. It was a good story, though, very believable.

I dont have a favourite, but i really liked the Graveir, the design of the Draug, the concept and story of the Beast was cool too but it could've used a more original and different look than that of a bad dog.

And Drowners are a classic.

The Imperial Manticore is something I've been interested in fighting ever since Geralt spoke of it in The Witcher 2.

The draug intrigues me. An avatar of the horror and terror that war brings. Kinda like if Death was on steroids.

Gotta mention the trolls. I just love their bumbling ways of talking and their design is superb.

Honorable mentions goes to the vodyanoi. Slavic folklore right here baby! They're just great :)/>/>/>

I can't decide who's my favourite. Therefore I'll go with vampires. If only because Regis sounds like a real cool dude.

The best and most hilarious monster is without a doubt the Devourers. Its like the revenge of the lunch ladies down in Muddy Waters.

A close second
Noon wraiths: I really liked their walking animations
Nekkers: who doesn't love seeing movement in the distance and turn around to find a Nekker gang leaping at your throat. I greatly enjoyed frightening them and they still continue to startle me with their Left for Dead Zombie tactics.

Rotfiends get a special mention because I swear they look like they have dreadlocks.

My favorite monster? Hmmm...I grew up on stories my father told me featuring. Trolls and Hobbits among others. The trolls were not always as kind as Triss's secret lover though.

I think I'll have to go with Trolls and Wolves.

Glaroug said:
The best and most hilarious monster is without a doubt the Devourers. Its like the revenge of the lunch ladies down in Muddy Waters.

I totally forgot about those, i love them too.

Damn the first witcher game has so many awesome monsters.

I liked some of the ghosts because there's more to them than just wanting to kill you.
Also the trolls were some lovable bastards, haven't been able to bring myself to kill any of them in all my playthroughs.

I like the Striga.

The whole lore about it and how Geralt broke the Striga curse on princess Adda was amazing.
Made me feel like a real monster hunter somehow.

The Vodyanoi. The Water Lords are always victorious. (Seriously, there's some deep mythological goings-on between Vaska and the "dry ones", analogous to the rivalry between the gods Veles and Perun. Vaska's not so crazy as everybody thinks she is. The Veles-Perun rivalry also shows up in Act IV.)

The trolls. They're just that darn cute. Much more like real-world-myth trolls from Scandinavia than the brutes you usually get in D&D-like games.

The noonwraiths. Stuff of the scariest of legends, beautifully executed, with a poignant story to go with your hacking them back to sleep.

The talking golem. Not only talking but self-aware and able to carry on what passes for a deep conversation.

What I wish had been there: Rusalkas.

GuyN said:
The Vodyanoi. The Water Lords are always victorious. (Seriously, there's some deep mythological goings-on between Vaska and the "dry ones", analogous to the rivalry between the gods Veles and Perun. Vaska's no so crazy as everybody thinks she is.)

The trolls. They're just that darn cute. Much more like real-world-myth trolls from Scandinavia than the brutes you usually get in D&D-like games.

The noonwraiths. Stuff of legend, beautifully executed, with a poignant story to go with it.

The talking golem. Not only talking but self-aware and able to carry on what passes for a deep conversation.

What I wish had been there: Rusalkas.
Yeah the noonwraiths are pretty awesome. Gotta give 'em the praise they deserve.

But how in the actual fuck could I forget about the talking golems! :S I love the shit out of them! Derhenas (excuse the spelling) golem was one of the coolest automatons I've ever encountered in games! Along with Shale from DA:O, she was pretty badass too. Still! The golems are amazing. Their calm and collected disposition mixed with that gigantic warframe of theirs really does create an awesome image of badassary. A person who is strong physically and mentally. Pretty cool stuff :)

May be in TW3 we can have some griffins, coming from Nilfgaard? Judging by nilfgaardian last names, and a griffin school of the witchers griffins exist in the TW universe. I would really like to hunt some griffins in the wasteland. Pretty please?

What I would like to see in TW3 is at least one epic showdown with an imperial Manticore or/and a Slyzard, probably the best way to do it is to have a place that those monsters inhabit/guard, also it would be cool to have a place (some dark deep forest most preferably) heavily populated with all kind of lesser beasts, and the badasses of that area would be Werewolves, and it would be cool that if you come there at night, well, let's say it would be a stupid move. ;)

I agree with the Noonwraiths. Such a fantastically terrifying concept, that defies the traditional gloom in which monsters appear in legends. They're right there basking in the sun.

And I second the Rusalkas. I want their watery gazes, cold like ice, and razor sharp teeth to make a prominent appearance in the snowy wastes or TW3.

I also liked the the way Vereena, a Bruxa, was described in A Grain of Truth.

We need more special monsters with their very own stories, not just hordes of drowners.

Volsung said:
We need more special monsters with their very own stories, not just hordes of drowners.

I second this. I am looking forward to Baba Yaga and the other witches(?) in TW3, but I hope there are more beings like that.

Dalladrion said:
What I would like to see in TW3 is at least one epic showdown with an imperial Manticore or/and a Slyzard, probably the best way to do it is to have a place that those monsters inhabit/guard, also it would be cool to have a place (some dark deep forest most preferably) heavily populated with all kind of lesser beasts, and the badasses of that area would be Werewolves, and it would be cool that if you come there at night, well, let's say it would be a stupid move. ;)/>

You just gave me an idea. Remember, when Iorweth, in one of the cinematics, feeds the Crab Spider with a Nekker? I would like to see monsters also attack each other, or free roaming animals. Establish a food chain. That gives us an additional sense of realism.

vivaxardas said:
May be in TW3 we can have some griffins, coming from Nilfgaard? Judging by nilfgaardian last names, and a griffin school of the witchers griffins exist in the TW universe. I would really like to hunt some griffins in the wasteland. Pretty please?
That would actually be pretty badass!

Top Bottom