[FEEDBACK] How to fix DWARVES

+

ya1

Forum regular
I've been playing some Dwarves on Mahakam Forge lately ( https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/159742 ) and here are my thoughts on how to fix the archetype.

PROBLEM 1: The archetype revolves around row stacking. It has (slightly) not enough payoffs.
SOLUTION 1a: Buff Barcley Els. It's Mahakam Guard (4p) value +1 but for 7p. Make him a mainstay by upping him to 5-6 power.
SOLUTION 1b: Change Dennis Cranmer. His row boost is locked on ranged where there are no dwarves. Change the rows.

PROBLEM 2: The archetype revolves around armor. It has hardly any payoffs.
SOLUTION 2a: Rework and buff Paulie Dahlberg. ST got movement from elves if they want it. The other ability is weak (conditional 8 for 6). Give him some major armor payoff a'la Yarpen but for other units.
SOLUTION 2b: Buff Yarpen Zigrin. Outside Pyros and Berserkers (both kinda flawed) the only armor payoff. But value is a little too low. Up 1 power or down 1 power up 1 dmg for removal value.

PROBLEM 3: Since the big nerfs, Rowdies are hard to come by for Munro. Especially being so removable.
SOLUTION 3a: Change Dwarven Charriot. Currently, it clogs the row with a non-dwarf tag which is a big downside given its tragic value. Make it spawn the Rowdies in the other row or the row of choice so that it can be played on ranged. EDIT: Or simply give it Dwarf secondary tag.
SOLUTION 3b: Buff and change Saskia. Up 1 power. Or change "spawn on this row" to "spawn and play". Fixes the card for racial decks as well as makes it a powerhouse Harmony so desperately needs. EDIT: A little correction. Saskia is totally anti-synergistic with Dwarves. Buffing a Rowdy makes no sense. This card totally makes no sense for anything. Needs a complete rework.

PROBLEM 4: Since the big nerfs, Figgis is half the defender the others are. This is racial discrimination. Defender should not be downed by a single Rockslide (or even a Stunning Blow/Parasite/Decoction plus a random ping.) Plus dwarves are supposed to be resilient so, you know, the LORE...
SOLUTION 4: Up him to 4 armor.

PROBLEM 5: Oak has not been un-nerfed after Harmony was dealt with.
PROBLEM 5: Un-nerf him to 12p (in line with Hemdall). It's not used in the strongest ST decks so it's ok. It's used in row stacking decks such as elves, dwarves and devotion none of which is problematic.

Here it is. Reasonable (kinda) buffs of all shapes and sizes. #buffdwarves2020 #tallenoughtoxxx

Last edited:

Gyg

Forum regular
The other change to Barclay is to make him similar to Isengrim: On deploy Buff target by the number of dwarves on board and then buff Els by 1 everytime to play dwarves.
I wouldn't touch Dahlberg - just add a couple of new Dwarves that work with armor in the next expansion and it should be good. Having a movement option with possible good points/provisions ratio (8 for 6) and being a Dwarf is very good. Just have more possible targets for the order.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
PROBLEM 1: The archetype revolves around row stacking. It has (slightly) not enough payoffs.
SOLUTION 1a: Buff Barcley Els. It's Mahakam Guard (4p) value +1 but for 7p. Very weak. Make him a mainstay by upping him to 6 power.
SOLUTION 1b: Change Dennis Cranmer. His row boost is locked on ranged where there are no dwarves. Change the rows.
1a. I don't agree. Barcley with 6 power will be too much that CDPR will butcher the whole Dwarf archetype to nerf them. In a medium to long round, he can play for 10+ points easily and he can even boost a unit (like Fauve) in another row. I like him and I don't consider him as weak or needing a buff.
1b. Agreed.
SOLUTION 2a: Rework and buff Paulie Dahlberg. ST got movement from elves if they want it. The other ability is weak (conditional 8 for 6 which is tragic). Give him some major armor payoff a'la Yarpen but for other units.
SOLUTION 2b: Buff Yarpen Zigrin. Outside Pyros and Berserkers (both kinda flawed) the only armor payoff. But value is a little too low. Up 1 power or down 1 power up 1 dmg for removal value.
2a. I disagree. Dwarf needs a movement card and moving "any" unit is actually very very useful. The 2 armor can easily get +2 value with Berserker or Pyro or even Yarpen
2b. Agree. But if he does 4 damage, all hell will break lose. He will become too strong. But increasing his power by 1 makes sense as he is unplayable outside MF.
PROBLEM 3: Since the big nerfs, Rowdies are hard to come by for Munro. Especially being so removable.
SOLUTION 3a: Change Dwarven Charriot. Currently, it clogs the row with a non-dwarf tag which is a big downside given its tragic value. Make it spawn the Rowdies in the other row or the row of choice so that it can be played on ranged.
SOLUTION 3b: Buff and change Saskia. Up 1 power. Or change "spawn on this row" to "spawn and play" (like the Charriot). Fixes the card for racial decks as well as makes it a powerhouse Harmony so desperately needs.
3. I have cried/whined about Munro too many times. He is the most binary, most easily brickable 12P card in the entire game. He needs to be at least buffed to 11P or give him an alternate ability.
3a. Agreed. I had already suggested this elsewhere, this exact suggestion.
3b. I created a separate thread to whine about how pathetic of a redesign Saskia is. :(
PROBLEM 4: Since the big nerfs, Figgis is half the defender the others are. This is racial discrimination. Defender should not be downed by a single Rockslide (or even a Stunning Blow/Parasite/Decoction plus a random ping.) Plus dwarves are supposed to be resilient so, you know, the LORE...
He is half the defender may be because he is a dwarf (half the height?) Jokes aside, I also consider him the weakest defender. And yes, I had created a thread to whine about him too I believe.
PROBLEM 5: Un-nerf him to 12p (in line with Hemdall). It's not used in the strongest ST decks so it's ok. It's used in row stacking decks such as elves, dwarves and devotion none of which is problematic.

Here it is. Reasonable (kinda) buffs of all shapes and sizes. #buffdwarves2020 #tallenoughtoxxx
5. Agreed. Oak is over provisioned and only due to the Mystic Echo having made all these otherwise-good-and-ok cards to be nerfed, ultimately to get RIPed. Oak should be 12P. And again, I think I have created posts to whine about this too.

SOLUTION 1a: Buff Barcley Els. It's Mahakam Guard (4p) value +1 but for 7p. Very weak. Make him a mainstay by upping him to 6 power.

1a. I think buff to 5 would be reasonable. 6 is too much. I'm actually surprised people aren't already crying about the guard. "That's a 4p card that plays for how much!!??But there are no drawbacks to stacking the row with dwarves!!" But I digress...
1b. You know, I think Dennis is fine where his restrictions are. He does need a points buff on the melee row, though, imo. Maybe boost adjacents by 3, or better yet, since Dwarves are sorely lacking removal, "Damage a unit by 4, increase damage by 1 for every adjacent dwarf."

SOLUTION 2a: Rework and buff Paulie Dahlberg. ST got movement from elves if they want it. The other ability is weak (conditional 8 for 6 which is tragic). Give him some major armor payoff a'la Yarpen but for other units.

2a. Paulie is fine as is. Movement is useful and 2 armor order with 6 body isn't bad for 6p.
2b. Yarpen just needs 1 damage buff without lowering the body or anything, and he needs 1 additonal armor.

SOLUTION 3a: Change Dwarven Charriot. Currently, it clogs the row with a non-dwarf tag which is a big downside given its tragic value. Make it spawn the Rowdies in the other row or the row of choice so that it can be played on ranged.
SOLUTION 3b: Buff and change Saskia. Up 1 power. Or change "spawn on this row" to "spawn and play" (like the Charriot). Fixes the card for racial decks as well as makes it a powerhouse Harmony so desperately needs.

3a. This isn't bad, but a simpler way to fix it would be to ADD "dwarf" as a secondary tag to the chariot.
3b. Saskia should spawn 2 rowdies when she plays for rowdies, though it's kind of regrettably similar to Zoltan.
3c. Munro should be able to change any dwarf into berserker, not just rowdies. Or AT LEAST is should change rowdies without losing their boosts or additional armor, so that your 12p card wasn't ANTI-synergistic with both, Zoltan boost AND Zoltan company's armor buff. I mean, this freaking card is ridiculous.

Eh, maybe 3 armor, so he'll get 4 with the Forge. Don't want to overbuff.

Not necessarily dwarf-related, but this should have been done as soon as Harmony was nerfed.

• RED Point

ya1

Forum regular
2 armor order with 6 body isn't bad for 6p.

Frigate? Greatsword? Ghoul? Fallen Knight?

Eh, maybe 3 armor, so he'll get 4 with the Forge. Don't want to overbuff.

Ah, yes, I forgot... But then again 5 body and 3 armor is still rockslidable for non-Forge. Even meta ST Symbiosis that could really use a defender don't use him (I actually use him but that's me) because he's too weak to function as a defender. If Rockslide was meta during the Harmony times, Hormony would have dropped him, too.

This isn't bad, but a simpler way to fix it would be to ADD "dwarf" as a secondary tag to the chariot.

Oh yeah that would be sweet. With follow-ups, It would already kinda add up to a sum of a decent 8 for 5.

Munro should be able to change any dwarf into berserker, not just rowdies. Or AT LEAST is should change rowdies without losing their boosts or additional armor, so that your 12p card wasn't ANTI-synergistic with both, Zoltan boost AND Zoltan company's armor buff. I mean, this freaking card is ridiculous.

After playing it I think Munro himself is fine. The problem is to keep the Rowdies alive for him. I'd rather change Zoltan: Warrior to make 3 Rowdies (with body adjustment ofc). Every thinking player will kill at least one Rowdie out of Zoltan, and Munro thus gets bricked. Luckily nobody plays Dwarves, and where Dwarves are viable (2350MMR and not much higher) nobody even knows about Munro ;)

Honestly, I think Munro should get an alternative ability on ranged row.

• RED Point
Truly one of the least logical cards is Barcleys Ellie (I didn't spell it right but that's his fault cuz his name is complicated to write, also the card itself is useless so I don't play him ever and thus his name doesn't get memorized), he is indeed just a Mahakam Guard only he boosts someone else instead of himself. :] And at 3 more provisions? No thanks lol, pure waste of provisions atm.

Top Bottom