Feedback on the feel

+
First of all let's remove all technical aspects of the game such as rules and mechanics aside and focus on the feel of the game.

I've always imagine gwent being a get that Geralt would play with his friends at a tavern or brothel with friends and "others" much like he did while playing in the series of the Witcher. He would go on and "1v1 me bro" to random people in the world.

That's exactly how Gwent 1.0 felt. A game that is played on a table with a couple of pints, a minstrel singing a tale of Sir Robin and some questionable ladies scamming poor drunk sobs.

Now this 2.0 version which seems tied to Thronebreaker has me feeling like my cards are actual units that I'm (the leader) leading into battle. It no longer feels like a game Geralt would play. And more of a game Geralt would have actually fought.

You see this through the background although not very dynamic, is an actual battlefield of some kind. The leaders are actual avatars with what seems very slow motion animations.

I don't care about the rules and the mechanics and the meta.... Those can be tweaked until they find a sweet spot, but I think they should go back to their roots of this being a card game that Geralt plays drunk and possibly intoxicated, and not a battle simulatiom in which Geralt participates in while having all his witts about him.

The "tavern feeling" has been mentioned a lot on the forums. Ironically, I didn't get that feeling from playing Gwent any more than from playing Homecoming. The board of Gwent felt too flat and too simple. Also, there were spells effects. A normal card game doesn't have special effects, now does it? Nothing gained, nothing lost.

On the topic of having a tavern feeling, the new 3D perspective of the board can actually be used to simulate like you are playing at the table. It's very well possible and quite easy to make a neutral board skin that visualizes a tavern table.

A normal card game doesn't have special effects, now does it?
they might... remember we are in the world of the witcher. It would be a card game played inside the fictional world where magic and monsters are a thing.

The board of Gwent felt too flat and too simple.
that I agree. However, as you mentioned we could make a 3D one that resembles a tavern table or something. I know MtG: Arena does it well to keep that tabletop feel.

and we would need to do something about these avatars. I'm sure someone took a lot of their time to make them, but I want my leader card back (even if mechanically works the same) I want it to be a card.

having said that... I think the theme fits really well for Thronebreaker. The Avatar, the Battlefield arena look... great way to interpret the RPG elements into a card game.
I don't know how possible it would be to keep the 2 separate. Gwent has the tabletop feel with no avatars and a backgrounds resembling tables in Inns/Taverns or fancier ones that you would find in Castles or Magical ones in Mages towers, all the way to playing on the floor on campgrounds. and Thronebreaker would have the battlefield background with avatars

This again...

GWENT is supposed feel like you're a general, leading an army on the field of battle. And that's exactly what it feels like now.
The game is most likely based on a card game in the Witcher books -- and it at least one scene that game was played while sitting on the ground. Not in a tavern.

Witcher 3's minigame is just that, a minigame, something Geralt can do to kill time. Standalone GWENT is different -- you play "as" whoever your Leader is, not as Geralt.

I actually think the main problem of CDPR was that the old Gwent was way too tight & clean which made it very hard to expand. It seemed very hard to come up with new cards without them being overly complicated with lots of text, which in turn felt way out of place among the other, simple cards.
I think that's why they removed the more interesting mechanics for now from the base set, so that they can do something with the expansions, and that's why they had to come up with some added complexity, like Orders, in order to make the game more expandable.

This again...

GWENT is supposed feel like you're a general, leading an army on the field of battle. And that's exactly what it feels like now.
The game is most likely based on a card game in the Witcher books -- and it at least one scene that game was played while sitting on the ground. Not in a tavern.

Witcher 3's minigame is just that, a minigame, something Geralt can do to kill time. Standalone GWENT is different -- you play "as" whoever your Leader is, not as Geralt.

In the books gwent (or gwint in polish) is a card game played by the dwarves. It can be played on the ground or in a tavern or anywhere really. (Geralt actually sucked at this game)

In the video game, gwent is a card game played by the people of the universe called Gwent. It is a minigame for some collectables and quests.

Gwent 1.0 was supposed to mimic the Witcher 3 game as you playing a character playing a card game as seen by the avatar vs leader you pick

All of a sudden, CDPR makes an RPG where combat is represented as a card game, called thronebreaker ...

And they then make Gwent (a card game) into a battleground game where you are the leader sending an army into battle? Having nothing to do with the original idea for the game: To make the game that Geralt plays into a standalone game?

Why is it called Gwent?

Lastly... Your comment "this again"... Very condescending for a mod that's supposed to represent CDPR...

Nope. Gwent is a card game played on the table. What you're describing is Thronebreaker.

Actually after playing TB for few hours I realized what really happend. CDPR decided to abandon Gwent. They made Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales as a singleplayer campaign and so called Homecoming is just multiplayer expansion for TB.
Yes there are still the same cards etc. but this is not our old good Gwent anymore. It still exists as Gwent in our GOG libraries but like I said... it's not Gwent.

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game is gone. It is dead. Sad but true.

Why though you play as a leader now, but still units are represented as cards ? It should be called Witcher Tactics or whatever, because gwent was a game that plebs, merchants etc played, I just feel that it was more fitting that way.

how does gwent feels like.
like visiting a dentist.
like opening your test not knowing if you passed and then failing it.
like getting a call from interviewee who starts his speech with "thank you for coming". Like being so old someone has to spoonfeed you porridge. Like being lied to by a person you trust with your life. Like having no hope.

This again...

With all due respect, why are you "this-again"ing a CDPR customer? One who has written out his criticisms in a respectful and well-argued manner?

Also, why is it so hard to understand that - to many who played Witcher 3, Gwent IS the minigame from Witcher? That was our first contact with Gwent, and that's what it means to us - and that's what Gwent was in the beginning. I can tell you this from my heart, if this new invention had been put in Witcher 3 instead of the actual Gwent, I would have never done all those quests and dueled all those NPCs to complete my collection. Never.

Maybe the gods of CDPR have decided that "GWENT is supposed to feel like you're a general, leading an army on the field of battle". However, to many core players that simply isn't true - that is NOT what Gwent is supposed to feel like, no matter how may times you repeat the official mantra. Maybe this demographic of old Witcher players is not important to CDPR, but I'm pretty sure they're allowed to complain about what they don't like. At least for old times' sake.

Anywho, if "standalone GWENT" bears so little similarity to the source game, perhaps the decent thing would be to drop the name Gwent and call it "Witcher Rummy" or whatever else you can think of. You can't have it both ways. If you're saying this is a different game, call it something different and stop milking people's nostalgia for nothing.

Also, before any more bitter rebuttals for people who are not appreciating "Homecoming" (lol), please keep in mind that the people doing the criticizing are not enemies of CDPR - on the contrary, many of them - myself included - have spent quite a fair amount of money on CDPR products, so I think this is more of a family quarrel and a diplomatic approach is paramount in all discussion of these issues.

I have not yet posted my impressions of the game, but I will soon - and please believe me when I say, if I've been spending the past few days since the launch playing the new Gwent and NOT ENJOYING MYSELF, it's not out of spite.

So how about we have a proper and mature discussion of our issues, giving the benefit of the doubt to each side of the argument?

While I understand what most of you are getting at, personally I think this was the correct path to take for Gwent. I started to play Witcher 3 at this year, and I simply can't play the Gwent missions because the game feels REALLY basic (wich I get, that was the point back there). So after played the closed beta for Gwent, and now seeing how all looks in Homecoming, I must say that it's an improvement market-wise. Sadly, it wont appeal to everyone, but the reality that this version gets more chances to draw new players in (visuals can do A LOT).

And the basic feeling it's still there, maybe a little hidden, but I always thought that Gwent would be like a game of chess (you simulate controling an army or a faction). This is no different, but as you guys said, it feels less like a board game in a tabern and more like a simulation of the battle in a head of a Gwent player (personally I always been a sucker for that kind of trick).

Honestly, after reading a few of the comments i kinda feel ''lame'' , i had my deck all figured out and now i have nothing again :/ i love how homecoming looks like but damn, getting used to the new spells and stuff will take time, i miss the old gwent because i had all figured out. And i REGRET sooo much that now i'll never get the Vernon Roche OLD avatar, which was epic :(

Top Bottom