Feedback - Story Length

+
I heard they shortened the game length after The Witcher 3 feedback that it was "too long of a game".

Seriously? I would have loved a longer story. I'm already on my 2nd playthrough and I was definitely wanting a lot more.

Please devs, don't shorten your games. More content (so long it's of quality) is always better than less.

The Witcher 3 was so long, I literally gave up when the next game game along without finishing it. Now with Cyberpunk I wish it was longer.

Speaking as someone who has way less time to play videogames now than I did 10-15 years ago, I definitely prefer shorter games now. When someone tells me a game has 70+ hours to get through the main story that pretty much means I won't pick it up, because I just don't have that kind of time available to me anymore.

I think the best solution (from a consumer perspective) is if a game has a large delta between a "main" run and "main+" run (to use the howlongtobeat.com terms), to let people engage in the story to the extent that they want and have time for. Unfortunately a lot of the '+' game in Cyberpunk isn't really story driven missions but more like 'activites' to pass the time. It would have been great to see more stuff like Judy's storyline, which was optional but imo one of the best bits of the game.

Thats nice that some of you dont have the time to play such a long story game. Then maybe start playing CoD as a stroy game and you will be much happier. But dont destroy the true RPG´s with your nonsense that you gave up one the stroy line. If you decide for yourselfe playing more than 60-70 hours is not worth ist totally fine, play something else and no one is gonna blame you. But waiting for a game more than 7 years and play a total playthrough with every sidequest on hardest difficultiy in less than 70 hours is not what i expected from CD Projekt Red. Its a shame for them to give us such a short and predictable storyline with less then 20 hours to play. Im really really angry and I probably wont buy any of their games anymore till this massive problem is solved. DONT CUT YOUR GAMES FOR THE WRONG TYPE OF GAMERS.

Speaking as someone who has way less time to play videogames now than I did 10-15 years ago, I definitely prefer shorter games now. When someone tells me a game has 70+ hours to get through the main story that pretty much means I won't pick it up, because I just don't have that kind of time available to me anymore.

You don't have to finish these games in one sitting, having a 70+ hour game when you have less time to play is actually a good thing. If you like the game, you can play it for a long time and squeeze months of enjoyment out of a single purchase, as opposed to having to pay $60 + dlc & micropayments every year for a new CoD / Fifa / Fortnite skins.

There's also literal billions of short casual games out there for people who just want to finish things in a single sitting. A lot less for those of us who really like to get in there and spend tens / hundreds of hours on one single playthrough.

CDPR needs to fix the story along with the Bugs etc or this game has a chance of being dead by spring.

The story for as wonderful it is, full of feels, humanity, darkness, rage, hope, and finale. Is not meant for this game in the way it is presented and its really hurting the game as I personally know a lot of people who have stopped playing the game upon completion of the story and I have read 10s of 1000s of comments on various forums, youtube reddit etc expressing the same feeling. The story in the way its written does not match with the world provided. This is a story meant for the last of us or mass effect game structure and world, It is not meant for an Open World RPG as the way its written right now, but it can be saved.

The difference between Witcher 3's story and Cyberpunk is drastic, polar opposites. They needed to find a middle ground. The major difference between the stories is the sense of URGENCY. In Witcher the urgency is finding Cirilla, but that is always secondary to other arch's of the story, because the main story expands into more than that. The story expanding is what bogs/slows down the game, so in that sense yes maybe the Witcher story is too long for some because it is not as URGENT as Cyberpunk. In 2077 as soon as the world opens up and you get the chip, you are told by Vik you got a couple weeks to live, that upticks the URGENCY of this game 100x over Witcher. So from the start your sucked into the story because of what your told, then you have this constant reminder popping up in Johnny Silverhand to remind you of the urgent matter. So from what my friends tell me and I read all over the place, a lot of people are just playing the Story and related side quests due to the urgency of the situation and are saving most of the side content for after beating the Story. Those people beat the story and are feeling hollow or depressed (mainly the people who don't get the AZ ending) and can't go back to playing the side content as none of it makes sense from an RPG perspective, but the other issue is none of it makes sense from an RPG perspective during the story either due to the stories urgency. The slow down moments of this game are nullified by the story and the situation, so in Witcher when you get bogged down by the slow down moments start do a bunch of random quests or a bunch of main quests offered to you in different pacing the urgency leaves the game and the game slows down. In 2077 the slowdown moments are told to you, wait for fixer or whomever to contact some person then contact you back etc. Those moments aren't that long 10-20 mins before the fixer or whomever calls back. So the story really doesn't slow down it always stays URGENT.

The other issue with the Witcher 3 story feeling too long was 2 things. Extra Filler like when you finally go get Cirilla- You go on a long boat right to get to the starting point, then you follow that light/Cirilla's soul on another boat right that includes harpy attacks, ,once you make it to the island you get into a couple fights while following the light, then you get to shack and then snow whites bodyguard tells you to go find his mates...in 3 locations. That questline had too much BLOAT, that long boat ride from the start should've been shortened or taken out, the 3 dwarfs you go find should've all be in one location you could've had them all end the same way in one location. Things like that could've helped the story of Witcher 3 for the people who thought it was too long. The other issue with Witcher is Fast Travel, they needed more (which they went over board for 2077 cause of it) Too much of Witcher you are traveling on horse back from point A to point B for a quest, some of those rides are 7-10mins maybe longer, but they add up and it adds time to your story and they can cause a little boredom or frustration.

CDPR you can save this game, I know you guys can not and probably will not retcon the story or ending. But a couple voice edits can save this game/your company and slow down the URGENCY of the quest line. All you need to do is have Vik say you got a couple months to live or you got 6months to a year and take out any references to the couple weeks live, you need to slow down the main questline because its already dark and with 6 of the endings being real finale (I've seen the DLC speculation, that is fine but it doesn't help the situation NOW) is not giving the game much replay ability. That way you can't actually Role Play the game. I'm afraid if you don't, this game will be dead in a few months and you guys will have a good chance of going under since you guys are one of these companies that doesn't pump out games yearly or quarterly. There is just as much negativity about the story out there as there is about the bugs and glitches and crashing. You need to save the game now or not many are going to care about the DLCs they will have moved on to better games by then.

I was expecting little less than Witcher 3 story for this game and it feels like you sold me the Blood & Wine DLC as the main game and gives off a real bad impression of your company imo. You guys just come across as a GREEDY gaming studio since releasing this game.

Last edited:
this game has a chance of being dead by spring.

I'd call you optimistic because I already don't want to replay it after beating it once with just over 30 hours. I didn't do a lot of side stuff, and some side stuff bugged out for me (panam quest straight up refused to work so I couldn't unlock one of the endings...). The game also has nothing to do besides main story and 'shoot the bad men'. I'd honestly be surprised if someone who started playing it on launch week will still play it in January.

I wanted to spend 100+ hours in Cyberpunk but the game is just not good. And the lack of a satisfying ending only further saps my motivation to play any more of it.

Thats nice that some of you dont have the time to play such a long story game. Then maybe start playing CoD as a stroy game and you will be much happier. But dont destroy the true RPG´s with your nonsense that you gave up one the stroy line.

Dial down the gatekeeping a smidge. I'm not some outsider trying to wreck your toys, I've pretty much been playing rpg videogames for as long as they've been around and I still think they benefit from having a lot of content that you can immerse yourself in. But it's not a defining feature of a 'true rpg' is that their main storylines have to be marathons. Some of the foundational games in the genre are games you could sprint through fairly fast but they had enough breadth to let players immerse themselves properly.

having a 70+ hour game when you have less time to play is actually a good thing.

Not really, that's only a 'good thing' if you measure the value of your entertainment in dollars per minute. Which is absolutely not the metric I go by nowadays, for me my time is a much more precious resource.

Storydriven games and rpgs in particular are terrible to spread out. You'll end up with a very diluted experience (and let's face it, a lot of games claiming to have 70 hours of story content often have a fair share of filler missions or grind or just lots of overland travel) but mainly it gets really tricky to follow and stay invested as you'll struggle to remember things from weeks before that the game assumes you've heard recently, and things will move at a glacial pace.

There's also literal billions of short casual games out there for people who just want to finish things in a single sitting. A lot less for those of us who really like to get in there and spend tens / hundreds of hours on one single playthrough.

"Literal billions" aside, I'm not opposed to games that allow people to sink hundreds of hours into them. I liked being able to do that back when I had more free time than I do now, so I get it. But if those hundreds of hours are mandatory to finish the main storyline then that will quickly start to exclude a lot of players.

Last edited:
The story needs 'down time' moments when you are encouraged to do sidequests until something happens (possibly a call triggered by something like player level or street cred level). Witcher had these moments. Yes, I also was constantly badgered by the story 'urgency' and eventually just skipped all sidequests because they were narratively intrusive.

Dial down the gatekeeping a smidge. I'm not some outsider trying to wreck your toys, I've pretty much been playing rpg videogames for as long as they've been around and I still think they benefit from having a lot of content that you can immerse yourself in. But it's not a defining feature of a 'true rpg' is that their main storylines have to be marathons. Some of the foundational games in the genre are games you could sprint through fairly fast but they had enough breadth to let players immerse themselves properly.

Im thinking of some special games like Fallout 4, Skyrim and ofc. Witcher 3. You can Speedrun it but if you played these game you have to understand what im talking about. You got sucked into it and you didnt had a chance to see the sunlight again till one week later. And that is what i wanted from Cyberpunk a longterm motivation not a funny weekend.

I heard they shortened the game length after The Witcher 3 feedback that it was "too long of a game".

Seriously? I would have loved a longer story. I'm already on my 2nd playthrough and I was definitely wanting a lot more.

Please devs, don't shorten your games. More content (so long it's of quality) is always better than less.
I think that concerned the prologue with Jackie wie only get in a montage now? Yea, there should have been an option to actually play that...

Im thinking of some special games like Fallout 4, Skyrim and ofc. Witcher 3. You can Speedrun it but if you played these game you have to understand what im talking about. You got sucked into it and you didnt had a chance to see the sunlight again till one week later. And that is what i wanted from Cyberpunk a longterm motivation not a funny weekend.

Skyrim is probably the best example of a game with a short-ish story but crazy amount of additional content, actually. If you just stick to the main quest in Skyrim (which the game sneakily discourages by using the main questline to also introduce sidequests) it's a 20 hour game. But to do everything in it it's more like 1300+ hours at least, excluding DLC. Really the best of both worlds.

Imo, where cyberpunk failed isn't that the main story is too short, it's that it doesn't have a lot besides it.

Skyrim is probably the best example of a game with a short-ish story but crazy amount of additional content, actually. If you just stick to the main quest in Skyrim (which the game sneakily discourages by using the main questline to also introduce sidequests) it's a 20 hour game. But to do everything in it it's more like 1300+ hours at least, excluding DLC. Really the best of both worlds.

Imo, where cyberpunk failed isn't that the main story is too short, it's that it doesn't have a lot besides it.

I agree with you in this. But thats what im talking about call it mainquest or adds for the mainquest sidquest which are important idc. Cyberpunk 2077 had the chance to become something big and it failed not because of technical issues it failed because CD Projekt Red failed to reach the expactations like content to play.

Top Bottom