Female protagonist and what it could implies

+
Isn't that precious, a game that would allow mass murder and encourage drug abuse, bribery blackmail, membership in criminal organisations, probably assassination.

But heaven forbid that feminists be offended!

<sees oncoming exchange and winces.>

WELL.

SHALL WE TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE-ISH?

Pregnancy. Motherhood. Family.

You don't see it in games. It's not terribly appropriate or entertaining. Fable dallied with it a bit. Should CP2077 embrace it? Make it an option? Avoid it?

It is a huge part of real life, of course, and it shows up in the Lifepath generator in CP2020, but rarely has an in-game effect.

Would you like to see a focus on some of these aspects in CP2077? Would you like to try role-playing a mother? A wife? A daughter?

<sees oncoming exchange and winces.>

WELL.

SHALL WE TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE-ISH?

Pregnancy. Motherhood. Family.

You don't see it in games. It's not terribly appropriate or entertaining. Fable dallied with it a bit. Should CP2077 embrace it? Make it an option? Avoid it?

It is a huge part of real life, of course, and it shows up in the Lifepath generator in CP2020, but rarely has an in-game effect.

Would you like to see a focus on some of these aspects in CP2077? Would you like to try role-playing a mother? A wife? A daughter?
Actually as it's not something that I ever did in RL, I've only ever roleplayed pregnancy and motherhood (and fatherhood) with characters in pnp. I've even had one situation where 2, not biologically related, characters had children in their respective families that ended up marrying and having children. I suppose that's what can happen when you have a campaign world that's lasted for 20 years real time.

I'm not sure such a mechanic can work well for a computer game though. It can end up being quite shallow or weird, like the baby in the backpack situation with a romanced Aerie in the BG2 expansion Throne of Bhaal. Although if a game developer thinks they can do such content justice then I'm all for them having a go at it, as long as the content is optional.

Forum veteran
Oh oh oh, I want to roleplay a single mother, only the baby isn't actually a baby, but some kind of robotic pretend-baby that I can remotely detonate after my enemies kidnap it.

Possible in Cyberpunk?

...only on this forum would people be suggesting the use of remote detonation disposable babies as a weapon.

I have roleplayed being a father, (both an attentive and an absent one,) and I am now a father for real. Roleplay just doesn't compare unless you have actually had a child.

The prospect of parenthood in 2077 is much less daunting from the male perspective than the female one. Imagine popping into the cyber clinic for a new implant to be told you're pregnant so they can't legally upgrade you!
Imagine the reaction of moat players; "Where the fuck can I get an abortion?!?!"

I would definitely add on some serious mental issues for things like a miscarriage or such.

I would probably avoid the whole shebang though. That is just a bit too close to the Sims, even for me.

Well they touched pregnancy in Dragon Age: Origins and in Witcher 2 but those were just...evil?
I think you could somehow tie pregnancy to the story like "Six months later..." , but I don't really care either way if there is pregnancy or not.
Pregnant npc occasionally would bring some realism though.

Well they touched pregnancy in Dragon Age: Origins and in Witcher 2 but those were just...evil?
I think you could somehow tie pregnancy to the story like "Six months later..." , but I don't really care either way if there is pregnancy or not.
Pregnant npc occasionally would bring some realism though.

I guess one of the more obvious questions then is what percentage of pregnancies would rely on artificial incemination by 2077? Also, in 2020 it was possible to have a complete sex change, including the ability to father or bear children. How would that affect society, especially lif it became more common?

I guess one of the more obvious questions then is what percentage of pregnancies would rely on artificial incemination by 2077? Also, in 2020 it was possible to have a complete sex change, including the ability to father or bear children. How would that affect society, especially lif it became more common?

good question..

I wouldn't mind if CDPR approached the issue of parenthood in some side quest, but it's not really related to the protagonist being female.

I wouldn't mind if CDPR approached the issue of parenthood in some side quest, but it's not really related to the protagonist being female.

I beg to differ. The question of parenthood holds many more 'issues' for female characters than it does male characters, in a very physical sense.

Well, parenthood is gender-independent, albeit not how you respond to it, but motherhood and pregnancy are very gender specific.

Hmm. Surgically-created androgynes in the game? What does happen if you buy the appropriate cyberware, ( it's in the base book, to a point)?

Can you now choose your gender and/or percieved gender? Would NPCs respond depending on which switch you flicked in the morning?

A very cool NPC in a game called Unknown Armies could do this. Quite useful.

Well, parenthood is gender-independent, albeit not how you respond to it, but motherhood and pregnancy are very gender specific.

Hmm. Surgically-created androgynes in the game? What does happen if you buy the appropriate cyberware, ( it's in the base book, to a point)?

Can you now choose your gender and/or percieved gender? Would NPCs respond depending on which switch you flicked in the morning?

A very cool NPC in a game called Unknown Armies could do this. Quite useful.

Transhemaphridte with a preferential selector switch?

I beg to differ. The question of parenthood holds many more 'issues' for female characters than it does male characters, in a very physical sense.

My post wasn't about which gender is having more issues with parenthood, but that the theme is not limited to one gender and can be tackled from different perspectives.

Mm. True, true. As well as either gender parenting, there is the whole issue of co parenting or single parenting in-game.

Which raises the question of spouses, current and ex.

I think I would enjoy a well-written miniplotline handling relationships, adult relationships, in 2077. The contrasts and challenges as compared to now. You may be a bad ass cybersoldier or hardened street Media, but you still have parenting and custody issues.

We did go over relationships in another thread, but I cannot recall if it included parenting or gender-focussed challenges.

Top Bottom