Female Protagonist

+
Oh come on, sometimes that is justified. It’s silly to broaden the definition of “gamer” to the point where it almost means nothing anymore because of its ambiguity. That’s like looking at one guy who only eats fast food all day, every day and a connoisseur of fine foods and then calling them both gourmets.

Indeed,My dad likes to play solitaire on his laptop and I have an aunt who played farmville, to call either of them a "gamer" would be a hoot.

Well, look, to a degree I even understand the argument that those kind of people have more in common with “real” gamers than “real” gamers have in common with utter non-gamers but the difference is still ridiculously large and grouping those kind of casual “gamers” with ’em in the same category simply does not seem warranted to me. I mean those distinctions arose for a reason ...

There is also the question of why more women aren't playing a lot of console games, if they aren't. Is it the makeup of said games? They are, often, awfully....murdery.
Well I mainly play on pc these days, although I did dust off my first gen. xbox for a bit of Halo with the husband yesterday.
While I can only speak for myself, since I don't have access to this female hive mind that some others seem to have hacked into, the more murdery (I like this word) the better.
If I can make a person's head explode and have their eyeballs pop out and roll on the floor towards me, I know I'm having a good day.
In a game I mean...I don't pop people's eyeballs out in real life or anything...generally. ;)

But I'm a story addict. Some people are much more into gameplay and may simply want an avatar they feel more comfortable with, regardless of story. And that's fine. I, too, enjoyed Call of Duty.

I like both, depending on the genre of the game. I don't expect Mario to have a good story, but I still enjoy it,f or the gameplay. The Witcher I play for the story, and Zelda I play for the exploration. I do think gameplay is very important though in all games. I would never play a game just for the story. For that reason Telltale games really do not attract me at all. I wouldn't even call those "games" true games, they're more like interactive movies in my opinion. I don't like them at all.

So yeah, because Mario is all about gameplay and just being Mario, I don't care that it's always about rescuing Princess Peach. Some people like to make a fuzz about it and say Mario needs to change, but those people don't understand Mario. They don't understand that rescuing Princess Peach from King Koopa / Bowser is what makes a classical Mario game. Changing that would be like making a new Cinderella movie but this time make Cinderella a guy who falls in love with a princess. Could that be good? Sure it could be good. It could be awesome in fact. But it would no longer be Cinderella now would it? Not to mention that Nintendo already tried reversing the formula once, and that game was not really financially successful at all. The game didn't really sell all that well.

Wait. There was an OP?

I don't really have a "kind of" female character I want to play. Someone smart, cool, tough, flawed, maybe deeply flawed, but possessed of a certain...drive.

Eyeball-popping acceptable, but not mandatory.

Also totally not going to say which gender I am. Or what age I am! Not young.

This game so needs a sequel:

[video=youtube;ENIsTX-r7H4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENIsTX-r7H4[/video]

I love Rubi and how masculine she is for a chick. She kicks some serious ass and swears a lot while doing so. It wouldn't be anything to get excited about if the protagonist was just another dude, but the fact that the protagonist is a chick makes it awesome.

My older daughter really got into Rubi Malone. Maybe not much depth to her, but you're right, she kicks ass and the game makes no apologies for her being female.

My older daughter really got into Rubi Malone. Maybe not much depth to her, but you're right, she kicks ass and the game makes no apologies for her being female.

Yeah I love it. The game really has some Quintin Tarantino vipes going on. I couldn't help but think about Kill Bill when I played WET.

I love Rubi and how masculine she is for a chick. She kicks some serious ass and swears a lot while doing so. It wouldn't be anything to get excited about if the protagonist was just another dude, but the fact that the protagonist is a chick makes it awesome.

Not for me. Being Murican, I've seen this stuff so many times I can predict each scene. Writing an action game for a man, and then stuffing a woman in the role does nothing for me. Even in an action game I expect more nuance than that.

What does your nationality have to do with it?

I like W.E.T. because it's supposed to be cliche as fuck. It's not an action game, it's a parody on an action game, with some really hilarious jokes in it and totally over the top silliness. If you haven't played W.E.T. you should, it has more nuance than you think.

I really don't care about game character's gender. If I can choose a woman I'll pick one, even they're almost always dressed more like whores that fighters/adventurous style.
We should be more concerned about how girls and women are treated in real-life: beaten, selled, raped, sexually abused or killed when born just because they're girls and the family has no money to marry her some 12+ years in the future. This is our reality and games just follow it ....

I really don't care about game character's gender. If I can choose a woman I'll pick one, even they're almost always dressed more like whores that fighters/adventurous style.
We should be more concerned about how girls and women are treated in real-life: beaten, selled, raped, sexually abused or killed when born just because they're girls and the family has no money to marry her some 12+ years in the future. This is our reality and games just follow it ....

Sure, but this is a gaming forum so we're discussing Female protagonists in games. And let's keep it that way.

I agree with both shivasi and gregski.

In that light I´d say we should be more worried about how women are portrayed in games rather than worrying about if we have enough female protagonists. Who cares about playing a female protagonist if that protagonist is dressed up like a slut and is exposed to a lot of tropes and cliches?

It goes both ways. Male protagonists in games are often loaded with cliches and tropes as well. I'm glad The Witcher breaks away from those cliches and tropes for the most part. I like Geralt, Triss, Ves, Saskia, and many of the characters in The Witcher. They all feel real and believable to me. I wish more RPG developers would take a look at how CD Projekt RED is going it. Looking at you "progressive" company BioWare who is so "progressive" that they dress their female characters in chain-mail bikinis and slutty catsuits with lots of cleavage...

Sure, but this is a gaming forum so we're discussing Female protagonists in games. And let's keep it that way.
Yes, of course.

I just wanted to point out that we don't have female protagonists in games because we don't see many of those in real life. It's hard for the developers to imagine and create a realistic female character in a fantasy world when they're not used to see such women in real life (not to mention most devs are males!)
However, I like playing Baldur's Gate as female, along with Imoen and Dynaheir and I liked the strong women portrayted in Uncharted 1 and 2.

I, as a woman, enjoy gaming, no matter the gender of the main protagonist as long as the story is good (for RPGs, action-adventure games) or are fun and relaxing to play (like shooters, the rest of the action-adventure games).

Nah, the original "mother of dragons" needs a sequel.

Bloodrayne has a third installment of sorts on PSN/XBLA and Steam called "Bloodrayne Betrayal", which is a 2D game.

Top Bottom