Field Medic and Priestess of Freya.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Field Medic and Priestess of Freya.

I don't get the difference between Field Medic and Priestess of Freya. Only for ONE status difference, you get to choose what card to resurrect. And Field Medic it's a rare card and Priestess it's a common, not that really matters but it just makes it even more senseless.

I know that the NR doesn't have much use for resurrect, that's is EXACTLY why Field Medic resurrecting a random card doesn't make sense.

Bodach;n8114530 said:
Priestesses can't resurrect silvers.

Field Medics can't either anymore.

But this was a case where CDPR put literally zero thought into what they were changing. I mean, the current iteration of Field Medics is just a bad card compared to Priestess, its a bad card compared to just about every other bronze card in the game. Given that every single NR deck pretty much has to run Temerian Foot Soldiers and may also run Reaver Hunters, that means that your most likely target for a random revive is going to be a 4 or 5 strength useless card. Which means that your Field Medic is likely going to end up being 6 or 7 value, which is about as bad as bad as you could possibly get.

That said, they're buffing Field Medics up to 4 strength next patch, which may or may not help things. Ultimately the problem is that Northern Realms just doesn't have any bronze cards valuable enough to revive.

I personally like that it's a very situational card in NR. The ability to resurrect is extremely powerful, and NR already has both Nenneke (a vanilla Sigrdrifa) and Shani (most powerful resurrect in the game) for getting those key pieces back on the board. The fact that a resurrection card isn't an auto-include into every NR deck is a good thing in my opinion. NR has its flaws, but snatching up that mechanic too isn't the way to fix them.

Having said all that, Field Medic isn't the worst card for the faction by a longshot - it's still run in quite a few Henselt and Foltest decks. And I know what you'll say, but it doesn't matter that those leaders aren't played as much as Radovid, because you can't have everything be the best. I suppose it just seems silly to me to complain about a card like Field Medic, when nobody says anything like "Foglets are useless because you can't run them consistently in Consume Monsters," or vice versa, "Nekkers are useless because you can't run them in Weather Monsters."

I have to agree with OP, that it is a bit strange that two cards that perform similar functions, but one is objectively better. That the Skellige deck benefits greatly from resurrecting certain cards mens that the Priestess of Freya is that much more superior to the Northern Realms variant. Unless Field Medic was intended to be a filler card that is below the power curve, which admittedly any CCG will have, I think Field Medic should be buffed to be act the same as the Priestess of Freya. Such a buff wouldn't make Norther Realms overpowered (at least I think it won't), but it would make Field Medic a more viable and reliable card.

Tungdilboindil;n8113600 said:
That's because the ability to resurrect units is a key ability to skellige, while not as much for NR

that was until they nerfed the resurrection chains and let everyone steal anything they buff from graveyard, now morkvard is gonna be dead too, the only one they couldn't crap on in the graveyard. skellige will be probably the least played after patch, except for maybe axemen.

especlipse;n8115500 said:
I have to agree with OP, that it is a bit strange that two cards that perform similar functions, but one is objectively better. That the Skellige deck benefits greatly from resurrecting certain cards mens that the Priestess of Freya is that much more superior to the Northern Realms variant. Unless Field Medic was intended to be a filler card that is below the power curve, which admittedly any CCG will have, I think Field Medic should be buffed to be act the same as the Priestess of Freya. Such a buff wouldn't make Norther Realms overpowered (at least I think it won't), but it would make Field Medic a more viable and reliable card.

they shouldn't even be able to resurrect at all, they spam gold units all over, very powerful and hard to counter without a full deck of removal

The randomness of the Field Medic doesn't matter much if you're using a minimum-sized deck. If you know which bronze units you have in your graveyard, and how many medics you have in your hand, then you can strategise accordingly.

For example, the way my deck (http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/12570-the-traveler) is set up, it doesn't matter which units my medics actually revive, since both of the other bronze units I use benefit from the same bonus.

NatoGreavesy;n8118850 said:
The randomness of the Field Medic doesn't matter much if you're using a minimum-sized deck.
Exactly, in a deck like this, a Field Medic operates in its prime. It's good for a deck like this. It's not that good in a deck with Temerian Infantry and Reaver Hunters, but that doesn't make it a useless card; just more of a niche play. If all of your filler cards are bronze throwaways, then it's just not great in that deck. And I still think that Nenneke and Shani plus selective Field Medics would be beyond broken.

It has been mentioned before, but I still want to point out (again) that you cannot compare two cards of different factions without looking at the faction synergies. The example I always give is Caretaker. Imagine him being in a NR or SK deck. First, you steal the opponent's unit and then you resurrect him again. Ouch!

Also Field medic has 1 more base strength than Priestess of Freya. Well FM becomes weker than PoF in round three and is overall wekaer because of RNG but that strength difference is caused by faction passive so it should not be exactly tied to the card.

4RM3D;n8126160 said:
It has been mentioned before, but I still want to point out (again) that you cannot compare two cards of different factions without looking at the faction synergies. The example I always give is Caretaker. Imagine him being in a NR or SK deck. First, you steal the opponent's unit and then you resurrect him again. Ouch!

If you looked at it that way, its far, far worse! SK synergizes amazingly well with their Priestesses because the things that are in the graveyard are generally stronger than when they originally played. For Northern Realms, if you have Temarian Foot Soldiers or Reaver Hunters in your graveyard (which a large percentage of NR decks use) you run a huge risk of getting less than bronze value out of a Field Medic.

ThreePi;n8131340 said:
If you looked at it that way, its far, far worse! SK synergizes amazingly well with their Priestesses because the things that are in the graveyard are generally stronger than when they originally played. For Northern Realms, if you have Temarian Foot Soldiers or Reaver Hunters in your graveyard (which a large percentage of NR decks use) you run a huge risk of getting less than bronze value out of a Field Medic.

yeah but cant you medic a medic or medic that silver three str guy into another medic and make one of them gold at the same time? skellige will no longer have any medic that can res another medic, and they are supposed to be the res faction, that's what I'm saying, no one is better at spying than ng right?

roundert;n8131470 said:
yeah but cant you medic a medic or medic that silver three str guy into another medic and make one of them gold at the same time? skellige will no longer have any medic that can res another medic, and they are supposed to be the res faction, that's what I'm saying, no one is better at spying than ng right?

NR medics can't resurrect silvers or other medics, this topic is about making them non random so you could resurrect bronze unit unit you want.

michaeljager;n8922950 said:
I saw a str 2 priestess of freya in a graveyard today, whats up with that?

Discarded by Bran, pretty sure. If discarded, they don't get banished (since doomed only trigger if the unit gets destroyed, not if discarded without going to the board), so they stay in the graveyard (and you can actually chain medic like that, for what it's worth). And any unit discarded by Bran is strengthened by 1, hence the 2..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom