File Size Limitation?

+
What is it you want to post? We often can help, depending on the topic.

Hey. I just started modding the Witcher 3 and just wanted to know how the file size limitation works when repacking files.

I am trying to add more ingredients to crafting recipes, but I can't se a way to do that without increasing the size of the XML file. Nor do I know if that limitation applies to those types of files. Tried googling but nothing came up, even though I had read mentions of this limitation in various forums on the nexus.

Post moved to a new thread.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer offhand, but this is the place where other modders may be able to help you. Good luck with your project!

Post moved to a new thread.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer offhand, but this is the place where other modders may be able to help you. Good luck with your project!

All good. Thanks for that.

And thanks for the redpoint. I didn't even know I had the power to do that.

There are plenty of threads that offer all ranges of information. Please, have a read of those things before asking the community for specific help. An enormous number of topic have been already been covered in detail.

There are plenty of threads that offer all ranges of information. Please, have a read of those things before asking the community for specific help. An enormous number of topic have been already been covered in detail.

Thanks for the links, but my issue does not pertain to any of those articles. I've been reading nothing but guides for the last 48 hours, none of which seem to touch on this particular topic. I've only heard mention of this limitation in the deepest and darkest recesses of the internet. So at this point I feel I need some more intimate advice.

Apparently there is some sort of discrepancy that happens when you pack modded assets back into the game that exceed the original file size. Though I haven't been able to find any meaningful information on it or possible work-arounds for it, or even whether it will affect the editing of XML files. I just hope my vague assumptions that the modkit will dynamically adjust compression methods to account for this discrepancy are true.

One other question I have is how do I go about modifying crafting cost ? I have already successfully modded the recipes, but the cost parameter in there doesn't appear to be related to the actual crafting cost. I'm assuming that's the actual diagram cost.

I have tried increasing the crafting multiplier in "shop_base_abl" for all smiths in Novagrad, but that didn't seem to affect it either. Actually I didn't notice any discernible difference in costs of anything. Not sure what that modifier even does at this point. Either there is an error in my methodology or that value is part of an equation of two or more other values.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks for the links, but my issue does not pertain to any of those articles. I've been reading nothing but guides for the last 48 hours, none of which seem to touch on this particular topic. I've only heard mention of this limitation in the deepest and darkest recesses of the internet. So at this point I feel I need some more intimate advice.

Apparently there is some sort of discrepancy that happens when you pack modded assets back into the game that exceed the original file size. Though I haven't been able to find any meaningful information on it or possible work-arounds for it, or even whether it will affect the editing of XML files. I just hope my vague assumptions that the modkit will dynamically adjust compression methods to account for this discrepancy are true.

One other question I have is how do I go about modifying crafting cost ? I have already successfully modded the recipes, but the cost parameter in there doesn't appear to be related to the actual crafting cost. I'm assuming that's the actual diagram cost.

I have tried increasing the crafting multiplier in "shop_base_abl" for all smiths in Novagrad, but that didn't seem to affect it either. Actually I didn't notice any discernible difference in costs of anything. Not sure what that modifier even does at this point. Either there is an error in my methodology or that value is part of an equation of two or more other values.

Any help appreciated.

Ahhh...I'm of very limited help with the details. :p I'm not into modding TW3 at all. But I do know that there was a lot of discussion earlier about different methods for cooking and uncooking game files. (That seems to be the language used for TW3.) Which files in particular are you trying to pack / unpack? Listing down a few specific files that you want to work with here will make it clearer for existing modders which assets you're dealing with. That will likely get some specific answers.

As far as I know, trying to modify anything with the shop or economy systems is extremely problematic. It's a system that's deeply tangled in a lot of game mechanics, and fiddling with it in any way can come up with all sorts of crazy results. Asking about that directly in another thread may be a good idea.

Ahhh...I'm of very limited help with the details. :p I'm not into modding TW3 at all. But I do know that there was a lot of discussion earlier about different methods for cooking and uncooking game files. (That seems to be the language used for TW3.) Which files in particular are you trying to pack / unpack? Listing down a few specific files that you want to work with here will make it clearer for existing modders which assets you're dealing with. That will likely get some specific answers.

As far as I know, trying to modify anything with the shop or economy systems is extremely problematic. It's a system that's deeply tangled in a lot of game mechanics, and fiddling with it in any way can come up with all sorts of crazy results. Asking about that directly in another thread may be a good idea.

It's all good. I'm only editing XML files which apparently don't need to be cooked. Just need to pack them once they have been modified. I can do the process and my mods are working in-game. I'm just nervous about the files sizes. I tested with some additional entries in the recipes XML's and it hasn't created any issues, at least none that I am aware of. I threw a heap more entries in this time and the file size has bloated a few KB. Just about to test it in-game.

Yeah I can't make heads or tails out of that shop XML. There appears to be only one file for the whole game and DLC, well two if you count the NG+ file. As you say those parameters might be intertwined with something else, as nothing I did in that file made any change. Maybe I need to use scripts for that.

Regards the file I am working with, I have only found one, which is "shop_base_abl.XML" -The parameters inside would suggest we can control Geralt's bargaining power of items respectively. Originally I had assumed the Crafting value would govern the price of crafting services, but now I think it's more likely that this value is the modifier for crafting goods. Though nothing ever comes from modifying any of these values.

At any rate, appreciate the help and advice. I'll keep at it. :D

Top Bottom