Finally found a way to play I enjoy

+
Game has gotten better, but no matter what I did, I'd quickly get bored and frustrated with it. Wasn't sure why. And then I cheated.
Not a big time game balance type of cheat (at least not combat wise). I simply went in and used console codes to give myself clothing items that I actually liked. Along with an endless supply of crafting materials.
The clothing items I received were all common level, so they are by no means overpowered. And I'd seen none of them before, despite almost 400 hours in the game. I got them on my very first mission with Jackie, so V's been wearing them the entire game. I just go in and upgrade them whenever he levels up. And craft grenades, healing stuff, and ammo.
But all this did a few things; it meant I don't have to sift through the endless amounts of crap after every fight hoping to find something useful. Yeah, I peek a bit to look for better guns, but most of those seem to be sitting out in plain sight waiting for you. But no more obsessing with picking everything up just to have materials, either. And my character has an identity and looks great, not swinging back and forth between a bad caricature of a cyberpunk B movie gonk and a reject from a Richard Simmons exercise video.
The point? There is way too much junk in Cyberpunk, and not enough useful items. The idea of clothing as armor is something video games have to stop using to begin with, and let a character's abilities dictate how hard they are to kill. Unless it's armor, armor. My game is so much more fun just running around, looking good, doing the missions and exploring and not stopping to search every body and box only to find nothing I want once again. Or picking it all up and disassembling it or selling it AGAIN.
What I think would have been cooler imho would be if we when we hacked into data ports, we would have had a the chance to find crafting recipes for guns, clothes, everything, really. Give V a 3d printer or something and an ammo station. A touch more Fallout. Maybe he could buy materials. Something to cut down on the scavenging, cuz I'm not sure how that fits into the Cyberpunk universe. And it's boring.
And on a side note, why is it that every shop, restaurant, whatever owner doesn't have the pride to pick up empty cans and other garbage INSIDE? I get the outside, but why does Tom of Tom's diner for instance, just let his place devolve into a garbage filled junk yard? It's like Fallout again. Just because it's a dystopian future doesn't mean they don't have brooms and garbage cans.

This reminded me of the fact that in TW3 if you wanted a decent looking Geralt, you HAD to craft Witcher Gear (and only Bear and Cat looked good)

This reminded me of the fact that in TW3 if you wanted a decent looking Geralt, you HAD to craft Witcher Gear (and only Bear and Cat looked good)
I really never understand why appearance is something you have to earn in so many games. It has no impact on difficulty. I made a mod for Fallout that used perks instead of clothes for defense so I could wear anything. But yeah, crafting good clothes or buying them would be far preferable to digging through 100 pieces of looted clothing and maybe finding one piece you sorta like. Besides which, in Cyberpunk, you can't even loot what they are actually wearing; it's like they carry extra shirts, shoes or pants with them. Really realistic.

Matter of taste :)
Luckily for those who like inventory managment (who is a part of many games) and like to look good (even in first person), Studios don't (won't) follow your tastes. It takes for everyone.

And oh, a detail, you can already buy every peace of clothes present in a game in epic version if you have the required level (and the patience) in shops, except the iconics and some legendary ones (so if you find looting useless, you can avoid it without any problem and without "cheating")

Matter of taste :)
Luckily for those who like inventory managment (who is a part of many games) and like to look good (even in first person), Studios don't (won't) follow your tastes. It takes for everyone.

And oh, a detail, you can already buy every peace of clothes present in a game in epic version if you have the required level (and the patience) in shops, except the iconics and some legendary ones (so if you find looting useless, you can avoid it without any problem and without "cheating")
Post automatically merged:

You can buy, but like you said, you have to have the required level. So you get to spend MOST of the game dressed like an idiot. And not really sure how studios have been following both inventory management AND your character looking good. Inventory management, yeah. The other, not so much. ESPECIALLY Cyberpunk, where you can't even see what the item is going to look like until you buy it.

Personally, I don't think of it as cheating. Making missions easier, that's cheating. I call it game redesign.

Last edited:
Great I have many tweeks to gameplay in cyberpunk too, without cheats (on console):
I don't pick up health hypos (how many dead bodies that seem to have od'd on them do we find around and pick their drugs for our use?). I also carry around a more or less reasonable amount of weapons on V and the clothes he's wearing (maybe a hat in the pocket).
When I play a netrunner I can ping but can't mark or quickhack (except ping) until I connect to an access point or take out an enemy and pretend I plug in to him.
These are the most general ones I then have some depending on some characteristic of the particular V.

Great I have many tweeks to gameplay in cyberpunk too, without cheats (on console):
I don't pick up health hypos (how many dead bodies that seem to have od'd on them do we find around and pick their drugs for our use?). I also carry around a more or less reasonable amount of weapons on V and the clothes he's wearing (maybe a hat in the pocket).
When I play a netrunner I can ping but can't mark or quickhack (except ping) until I connect to an access point or take out an enemy and pretend I plug in to him.
These are the most general ones I then have some depending on some characteristic of the particular V.
There are so many things that just aren't realistic. Why do you find money on victim's of crimes bodies? Why haven't they been looted by the bad guys? And why does every one seem to carry that mod that makes your weapons non-lethal? There's just a bunch of foolishness.

There are so many things that just aren't realistic. Why do you find money on victim's of crimes bodies? Why haven't they been looted by the bad guys? And why does every one seem to carry that mod that makes your weapons non-lethal? There's just a bunch of foolishness.
Hehe the best one like that for me is that blue skull mission in Watson where tyger claws are getting rid of the homeless. And each dead homeless is packing a good amount of money XD

There are so many things that just aren't realistic.
Yeah, like :
  • You can change your body parts "easily".
  • You can crash your caliburn at 200+ mph without any problem.
  • You can talk to an AI.
  • Or craft a self-contained automatic turret who doesn't require any ammunition with a few tin cans and some lamppost parts in Fallout.
It still a game where the goal is not to be realistic at all :)
Anyway, I will avoid to argue more in this thread, it seem to me it will probably turn in "how bad the base game is" and "what CDPR have to change for make it good" which is different for any player (and that won't probably never happen).

Game has gotten better, but no matter what I did, I'd quickly get bored and frustrated with it. Wasn't sure why. And then I cheated.
Not a big time game balance type of cheat (at least not combat wise). I simply went in and used console codes to give myself clothing items that I actually liked. Along with an endless supply of crafting materials.
Completely understand this, one of the things I think the game desperately needs is a rework on how clothing and store vendors handle their inventories; I really dislike how their selections are random and the only way to get a specific clothing piece you like is to leave the store, wait 24 hours and try again which can really hurt immersion. I often have an idea of how I want my Vs to look before I start, but before I can even begin playing properly, I like to make sure I'm outfitted how I like which can sometimes be a real headache.

The junk items are weird, sometimes all I find in boxes is crap like Medical Forceps which has next to no value and can only be used to break down into components. I'm sure there's a weird bug with the loot actually, my current playthrough it seems every single enemy or corpse I loot has Sniper Rifle ammo, even if they're carrying a shotgun - stuff like that.

The idea of clothing as armor is something video games have to stop using to begin with, and let a character's abilities dictate how hard they are to kill.

I would have preferred cyberware like Subdermal Armor determining armour value over regular clothes, sure give military kit and actual armour values, but bras and hotpants can't give the same level as protection as a flak jacket (or can they?)

Give V a 3d printer or something and an ammo station.

Agree, put it in the apartments (by which I mean other locations like Judy's or the Aldecaldo camp - make them more than just a mirror/stash) but give us more reasons to go there. Make the recipes more readily available too, and for players not investing points into tech, have certain vendors available to craft items for a fee.

Overall, I've come to the conclusion that there is actually a pretty decent to good game hidden in there somewhere. You either have to like it already for what it is, or find some way to play it that bends it to your will (what you enjoy). Sometimes it as simple as just not doing part of a game; I had the same problem with Assassin's Creed. Way too much to do but more fun (for me) when I started ignoring certain collecting and such.

Sometimes it as simple as just not doing part of a game; I had the same problem with Assassin's Creed.
In my case it's always like that, there is no way to enjoy a game totally. For me, for example, it's all the GTA/RDR "challenges" who I never did once, in all Rockstar games
If it's the case for a game, either you have an incredible luck, either it's your own game :)

And when I say "cheating", it's not because it make the game "easier" (it rather the opposite if you keep common clothes until the end). But I agree with @AlienSpaceBats , the most annoying for me, it's the "random spawn" for quality/mod slots for clothes/weapons. But I do with it, if I have to reload/skip time 50 times or more for have the clothe/weapon that I want, whatever... I'll do it :)

Last edited:
The clothing items I received were all common level, so they are by no means overpowered. And I'd seen none of them before, despite almost 400 hours in the game. I got them on my very first mission with Jackie, so V's been wearing them the entire game. I just go in and upgrade them whenever he levels up. And craft grenades, healing stuff, and ammo.
But all this did a few things; it meant I don't have to sift through the endless amounts of crap after every fight hoping to find something useful. Yeah, I peek a bit to look for better guns, but most of those seem to be sitting out in plain sight waiting for you. But no more obsessing with picking everything up just to have materials, either. And my character has an identity and looks great, not swinging back and forth between a bad caricature of a cyberpunk B movie gonk and a reject from a Richard Simmons exercise video.
The point? There is way too much junk in Cyberpunk, and not enough useful items. The idea of clothing as armor is something video games have to stop using to begin with, and let a character's abilities dictate how hard they are to kill. Unless it's armor, armor. My game is so much more fun just running around, looking good, doing the missions and exploring and not stopping to search every body and box only to find nothing I want once again. Or picking it all up and disassembling it or selling it AGAIN.
What I think would have been cooler imho would be if we when we hacked into data ports, we would have had a the chance to find crafting recipes for guns, clothes, everything, really. Give V a 3d printer or something and an ammo station. A touch more Fallout. Maybe he could buy materials. Something to cut down on the scavenging, cuz I'm not sure how that fits into the Cyberpunk universe. And it's boring.
And on a side note, why is it that every shop, restaurant, whatever owner doesn't have the pride to pick up empty cans and other garbage INSIDE? I get the outside, but why does Tom of Tom's diner for instance, just let his place devolve into a garbage filled junk yard? It's like Fallout again. Just because it's a dystopian future doesn't mean they don't have brooms and garbage cans.

I do think the cosmetics should be separated, I don't know if gear shouldn't matter, but I do think leveling crafting helps a lot in the game, because then items are mostly money. I only picked up items if I felt I wanted to.

so I partially agree

The idea to separate armor/mods to clothes is good, although I think it's a bit late now :(
In my opinion a "better" way would be :
- 0 armor value for all clothes and only in "common" version, it's just for style.
- All clothes mods would be installed on subdermal armor implants.
  • Common: 20 - 0 mod slots.
  • Uncommon: 50 armor - 2 mod slots
  • Rare: 90 armor - 6 mod slots
  • Epic: 140 armor - 12 mod slots
  • Legendary: 200 armor - 20 mod slots
With that, good bye to all clothes randomization :)

The idea to separate armor/mods to clothes is good, although I think it's a bit late now :(
In my opinion a "better" way would be :
- 0 armor value for all clothes and only in "common" version, it's just for style.
- All clothes mods would be installed on subdermal armor implants.
  • Common: 20 - 0 mod slots.
  • Uncommon: 50 armor - 2 mod slots
  • Rare: 90 armor - 6 mod slots
  • Epic: 140 armor - 12 mod slots
  • Legendary: 200 armor - 20 mod slots
With that, good bye to all clothes randomization :)
That would be great. With exception of combat vests and the like which could add some armour aswell.

That is in large part why I can't play the game anymore without the Full Gameplay Rebalance mod.

Amongst many other things it does right, it largely (completely IMO) fixes the clothing issue by making every article of clothing exactly the same in stats regardless of quality. Quality only affect the number of mod slots. Your V can look exactly the way you want without this feeling of voluntarily gimping yourself.

The loot is one of the game's very weak points. It sucks for console users who can't do anything about it but the mod's author has compiled a huge megareport - as he calls it - from the 3,000 post of feedback he's received on his mod and from the modding Discord that might help change that in the future. It's a 78 pages report that goes into great detail about many aspect of the game, how they are problematic, how to fix them and ideas for future improvement that I hope CDPR has seen. You can access it from the mod's homepage if anyone has interest in reading it.

Last edited:
@GrimReaper801 why is the loot such a problem? I think it is ok that there is and should be a lot of trash. Whatever you take it (to use however you like) or leave it is up to you. The only thing I find a problem with the trash items is that occasionally there is some that sell for a few hundred (forgot how much exactly:) ) and a new char will want that. Otherwise....I am curious why do you think it is such a problem?
....oh and it from time to time prevents you (is in front of) terminals/stuff you want to interact with, but that can be dealt with the Y key (drink it without picking it up).
For clothing - a dye system (like ESO or SWTOR) would solve the problem of you looking like a clown (unless you want to)...but I never found it so hard to pick clothes that look good to me. I am not wearing the strongest clothes I have (and die quickly as a result) but for me that's a worthy trade. And again - 'simple' (might not be so simple) dye system will solve the problem.

Post automatically merged:

You can buy, but like you said, you have to have the required level. So you get to spend MOST of the game dressed like an idiot. And not really sure how studios have been following both inventory management AND your character looking good. Inventory management, yeah. The other, not so much. ESPECIALLY Cyberpunk, where you can't even see what the item is going to look like until you buy it.

Personally, I don't think of it as cheating. Making missions easier, that's cheating. I call it game redesign.
You're right. In TW2 almost all the clothes were awesome looking and you didn't have to craft for shit, wish this was the case in TW3 and Cyberpunk :disapprove:
I don't mind the level requirement thing that that much, but I miss TW2 system, which didn't have any...

Last edited:
@GrimReaper801 why is the loot such a problem? I think it is ok that there is and should be a lot of trash. Whatever you take it (to use however you like) or leave it is up to you. The only thing I find a problem with the trash items is that occasionally there is some that sell for a few hundred (forgot how much exactly:) ) and a new char will want that. Otherwise....I am curious why do you think it is such a problem?
....oh and it from time to time prevents you (is in front of) terminals/stuff you want to interact with, but that can be dealt with the Y key (drink it without picking it up).
For clothing - a dye system (like ESO or SWTOR) would solve the problem of you looking like a clown (unless you want to)...but I never found it so hard to pick clothes that look good to me. I am not wearing the strongest clothes I have (and die quickly as a result) but for me that's a worthy trade. And again - 'simple' (might not be so simple) dye system will solve the problem.

For many different reasons, some of which have already been touched upon here. It's been criticized since day one. It clashes with the very essence of ''In Night City, looks are everything''. I doubt the moderators want this to turn into another one of those threads so I'll leave it at that.

Completely understand this, one of the things I think the game desperately needs is a rework on how clothing and store vendors handle their inventories; I really dislike how their selections are random and the only way to get a specific clothing piece you like is to leave the store, wait 24 hours and try again which can really hurt immersion. I often have an idea of how I want my Vs to look before I start, but before I can even begin playing properly, I like to make sure I'm outfitted how I like which can sometimes be a real headache.

Completely agree with this. It's weird how I've played over 1000 hours of this game but I still haven't encountered certain items. I like that I can save up and work towards buying specific cars and cyberware but I don't understand why they didn't do the same for clothing :/

Like this jacket, for instance. Still only exists in myths and legends for me lol (btw, if I'm looking in the wrong place and someone knows exactly where to find this, please let me know...).

Top Bottom