Finishers / Killing moves

+
Finishers / Killing moves

So, how about it, are they gonna be in The Witcher 3 ? Executing finishing moves was one of my favourite part of the game when I wasn't on quests, just killing them peasant guards until I got my adrenaline and then POW, which animation I'm gonna get :D.

I simply loved all that gore and blood, pure ownage on the Geralt's side.

Mohasz

Forum veteran
Yes, but we might still get cool animations. Athough I don't know how well it fits in the "one click - one action" thing.

We will definitely get some very cool animations. They promised really big number of attack animations. We could already see "finisher" when geralt cutted hand off to some foe. Also I´m glad to hear that finishers will probably be in more like Witcher 1 style. There were only few animations but they were really cool.

I would like to see finishing animations. The Witcher 2's were cutscenes which I didn't like as they interrupted the flow of combat and broke my concentration, but I liked the idea.

Yeah, I'd like some finishing animations too...

Feels a little odd when all the enemies keep falling the same way, to the same vanilla attack. Some variety is always nice.

It feels weird to me in other RPGs (like DA or ES) where I do a horizontal sword slash, and the guy falls out-of-sync to my attack, in the opposite direction (i.e., against the force of the blow!).

Or, when the attack is a vanilla slash, and the guy has this ridiculously dramatic death... 0.2 seconds after my sword hits him. It's almost like "Oh, he hit me.. I'm supposed to be dead." *dies dramatically* Finishing blows seem to fix this sync problem.

Witcher 2 also suffered from this occasionally during the non-finisher portions. For example, after slashing a Scoia'Tael member, they just literally drop dead... vertically, straight down. Every single one of them. None of them drop to their knees and gurgle, etc; they just collapse right on top of themselves.

Last edited:
Finishing cutscenes only for the absolute definite no doubt about it final opponent, otherwise - like they did in TW2 - they jar you out of the flow, and TW2's were terribly implemented with everyones position changed afterwards, it is of course possible to freeze combat, but they didn't, and its kind of unacceptable.

I hope what they are proposing for TW3 is significant in game graphical display of a kill all in realtime, e.g sword obviously going through opponent and them buckling over, decaps, bloodsprays, etc.

I believe they should do it like in TW1, but only on the last enemy, so you won't get hammered by remaining foes in the mean time. So I'd like they left cool, long, flashy finishers, but only on the last enemy.

I would love killing animation/cutscenes on some final blows, for example after casting Aard on a nearly dead foe.
Then the last sword slash should be a minicutscene.
Also after a parry/reversal on a perishing opponent, it would be a great deal.
If they implement, let's say, 4 animations, it would add variety and pace to the fight. If the developers give the player the chance to disable the killing cutscenes in the option menu, everyone will be satisfied.

Last edited:
There already finishing move for the boss (the griffin hunt), and could be for every bosses.
From the gameplay trailer you can dismember enemies by causing critical attack too.
I just hope there is critical attack for ranged weapons and magics that do something too.

Cutscenes in combat break the pace for me. Remember in TW2 seeing enemies disappearing or standing idly while the finisher took place?

Cutscenes in combat was a really terrible idea for me, I do like killing moves in Witcher 1, in real time, you can see everything is happening when you cut some heads off
Luckily, when I saw combat in The Withcher 3 at E3, I was very happy for killing moves that I have seen, no more cutscenes in combat, that I can stun enemies and finish them by one cut with blood, a lots of blood:laughing::thumbup:
I wish the combat should be more cruel

Some sort of finishing move animations will most likely be present, but I am quite certain that they've learned from the disaster that was the TW2 finishers. Interrupting gameplay in order to play a cutscene, in which the scenery suddenly changes and also the number of enemies you were fighting dwindles, is dumb in itself; but these cutscenes often led to a frustrating death immediately afterwards, as the enemies had time to surround you while you were standing frozen, watching the cutscene. No, I'm very happy to see that these stupid cutscenes seem to be absent from TW3. Whichever way they decide to interpret finishers this time, it is bound to be better than in TW2.

I like cut-scenes in combat, because they bestow more dynamism on the fight. I think that if there are four or five killing cutscenes, then we have a lot of variation and never get bored. If the position of the remaining enemies doesn't change afterwards, I don't think it will cause any problem to the gameplay.
Lastly, I think that they should occur only after you hit an Aard-stunned enemy or after reversing a nearly dead foe.
Let's hope for the best.

I think that Griffin cutscene was just a halfway marker in battle before we cut it's head off in real time. I don't mind the mix of unique in battle cutscenes to tell and show us the story of our fight as we progress in battle, because it makes it more like a cinematic movie. I always want the freedom to deal the final finishing blow before it goes into the end battle cutscene.
I think this is what they are doing as far as I can tell.;)

I think that Griffin cutscene was just a halfway marker in battle before we cut it's head off in real time. I don't mind the mix of unique in battle cutscenes to tell and show us the story of our fight as we progress in battle, because it makes it more like a cinematic movie. I always want the freedom to deal the final finishing blow before it goes into the end battle cutscene.
I think this is what they are doing as far as I can tell.;)

That Griffin scene was just made for the microsoft conference to end the demo.

I feel, too, that the cutscene with the griffin was just for the sake of the demo, since the remainder showcased Geralt taking the trophy into town as the video ended.

Cutscenes are immersion breaking when they are as short as the kill moves were. One of the reasons why devs did them was because in the cutscene, they could immediately put the enemies where they needed to be so that the animation sequence goes off perfectly. If you do not do this and instead keep the player in the game world, the chances of enemies all being at the perfect location for Geralt to perform some multi-kill finishing move would likely not happen, or the game would "jolt" the enemies into the proper position, somewhat breaking the realism.

There are interims between this and that. But it would mean enemies taking up pre-assigned "slots" around Geralt in combat, and that would, IMO look much less natural for combat.

Top Bottom