First impressions

+
Darksharp said:
Yep everyone who doesn't agree with exactly what you think is a troll. All atheists or agnostics are trolls to religious people.All democrats are trolls to republicans.All vegetarians are trolls to carnivores.Gotcha.Trolls, just another word for Infidel or Blasphemer. :D
Talking 'bout me? ;D

Darksharp said:
Was reading this impressions review over at the Flagship forums:http://www.flagshipforums.com/index.php?showtopic=2759&view=findpost&p=50764
Is it just me, or does this guy sound like a self-obsessive fuckwit? It seems he has his own preconstructed idea of the perfect game and judges everything else off that idea. Ignore him

Darksharp said:
Yep everyone who doesn't agree with exactly what you think is a troll. All atheists or agnostics are trolls to religious people.All democrats are trolls to republicans.All vegetarians are trolls to carnivores.Gotcha.Trolls, just another word for Infidel or Blasphemer. :D
I got a definition for you. Troll - a guy who didn't even play the game and is bitching about it, you are an excellent example. Say hi to your sweet ass Jarek Kot aka Ring, he likes to be special too
Is it just me, or does this guy sound like a self-obsessive fuckwit? It seems he has his own preconstructed idea of the perfect game and judges everything else off that idea. Ignore him
No, it's not you, he actually sounds like that. He's got some good points there, but he is full of shit and poison. He is also well known, discredited The Witcher hater

1st. No jump,lol?2nd.No WALK,ffs? was that too hard 2 add?3rd No free fight,current fight kinda sucks.4th No sneak or something?5th No stealing...loot houses like nothing happened...6th No sweaming???7th No exploring?Well its supposed to be an RPG,yes?
I have to agree in some points :a) Geralt is able to fight,drink,eat,meditate,cast,see in darkness,drink poisonous mixtures and so on..but he can´t jump! He even can´t jump down small distances or climb up small obstacles.This stresses me, because this game is very atmospheric and alive,but looses realism when he can´t do things everybody is able to do.This is not because of one´s definition of rpg - elements, this is because the feeling of freedom would be greater, also it´s not logical when u have to walk miles around a long small fence to tracked target because he can´t get over it.I love the world of Geralt and so he should be able to explore it at least in the way of having the possibility of taking shortcuts.b) I agree that the story and atmosphere of Sapkowski´s books are catched almost perfectly,but one big complain of someone who actually read the books:Where the heck is his horse???Not even that you have to walk miles on your own feet without having the possibility of taking shortcuts through woods for e.g.,Geralt´s relationship with his horse shows the player / reader one aspect of many of Geralt´s personality.I really miss the fact that the horse was not implemented..Which has been praised one year before by Michal Madej on E3 last year.c) I love the game , it is great. A good adaption of the books and well done by the programmers.Therefore we, who love the game, should not forget we have the possibilities to improve it by communicating about what seems to be missing and not attacking others just because of the fact that they have other opinions.First read,then think about,then communicate.So , the one thing he sould be able to do if he can´t jump because of the isometric camera system: Let him be able to climb obstacles ! Plz,plz,plz!P.S: Combat Mode is great and innovative , thanks for that !

I had been waiting for this game for a long time now, and stupidly rushed to purchase it right away. Boy was I disappointed. It will also be the last game I purchase from the makers, which I suspect is the same conclusion many, many others like me will arrive at. Not good for an up-and-coming company.Minute+ loading times.A huge memory leak that forces me to restart every 30 minutes or so.Completely unoptimized - this one seems to be a standard issue with european-made games. I wonder why? Furthermore, it's an engine by Bioware... how did you manage to bloat it up so badly? The performance of this game is so poor that even as an avid gamer, I find it extremely difficult to keep playing it with a system that should be more than capable of handling it on medium settings. Developers, learn from the Source engine.Combat system is poor, at best. You really should have thought it through.Character talents are also weird. For example, the beast lore talent is retarded and now that I already took it, I can't get rid of it and put it to better use. Same thing with the fighting talents.Thanks for adding Shani's house. It made me tear out my hair in frustration. 1 minute to get in, few seconds of dialog, 1 minute to get out. Repeat ad infinitum until I got past the old woman by pure chance of luck.Inconsistency with difficulty and pacing. Good luck killing the Beast on hard or getting very far in the swamp.Inconsistency in Journal & Dialog. I ran so many missions in the Temple Quarter that I completely lost track of why I was investigating these people.Overall an extremely frustrating experience, 2/5 from me. I hope you follow up with support and extra optimization because in its current form, I just can't get myself to play it anymore.

Hey, uh, please don't bite my head off, but I was just curious if you are experiencing that kind of load time with or without the patch installed. Thanks.

ioler said:
I had been waiting for this game for a long time now, and stupidly rushed to purchase it right away. Boy was I disappointed. It will also be the last game I purchase from the makers, which I suspect is the same conclusion many, many others like me will arrive at.
So far many, many other people seem to be enjoying the game.
ioler said:
Minute+ loading times.A huge memory leak that forces me to restart every 30 minutes or so.Completely unoptimized - this one seems to be a standard issue with european-made games. I wonder why? Furthermore, it's an engine by Bioware... how did you manage to bloat it up so badly? The performance of this game is so poor that even as an avid gamer, I find it extremely difficult to keep playing it with a system that should be more than capable of handling it on medium settings. Developers, learn from the Source engine.
Try checking Crysis DX9 demo, speaking about optimizing. Memory leaks were fixed long time ago, you could give some more details about your hardware specs in order to deal with those issues, instead of complaining only.
ioler said:
Combat system is poor, at best. You really should have thought it through.
Can you say anything more beside saying it is poor?
ioler said:
Character talents are also weird. For example, the beast lore talent is retarded and now that I already took it, I can't get rid of it and put it to better use. Same thing with the fighting talents.Thanks for adding Shani's house. It made me tear out my hair in frustration. 1 minute to get in, few seconds of dialog, 1 minute to get out. Repeat ad infinitum until I got past the old woman by pure chance of luck.Inconsistency with difficulty and pacing. Good luck killing the Beast on hard or getting very far in the swamp.Inconsistency in Journal & Dialog. I ran so many missions in the Temple Quarter that I completely lost track of why I was investigating these people.Overall an extremely frustrating experience, 2/5 from me. I hope you follow up with support and extra optimization because in its current form, I just can't get myself to play it anymore.
It's good that you express your opinion here, as these boards are dedicated to everyone who wants to discuss different aspects of the game, better or worse. Still it's a matter of taste - I have found being driven away from Shani's house very amusing :). What is more, entering Shani's house may be much easier, if having done a sort of mini-quest. Speaking of many quests and dialogues, would you prefer a totaly linear game with less than 10 quests for each zone? Journal is equipped with "tracking" option for those who are lost. For the others there are brief or longer descriptions. As for balance, if every single enemy would be of the same difficulty, games would be really boring.

get some more ram and thoose loading times go down to 20 secs, the game is EXTREMELY fluid compared to nv2 and 1, so stop whining about optimization just get the new drivers or a better gfx.the mem leak happens not every 30 mins, but more like every 40- few hours, and it only happens on vista,i dont get why you dislike combat? its so entertaining, now, 20 hours inside the game i still find it very entertaining and its so well made compared to other games, mention one game(rpg) that has better combat system than the witcher

ioler said:
I suspected the replies would be just as defensive and condescending.
Nice to see you took the time to reply, but if you hadn't noticed one of the CD projekt's public relations people have taken the time to answer your post and asked for some info. So if you're just going to troll as you have in "I write games better than this in my sleep and they have 0 bugs" reply then i'll spell it out in troll for you.HEY FUCKTARD WHAT ARE YOUR SYSTEM SPECS AND WHY DON'T YOU LIKE THE COMBAT SYSTEM? PLEASE EXPLAIN IN MORE WORDS THAN "POOR" EVEN THOUGH I EXPECT THAT SUMS UP THE POWER OF YOUR SYSTEM. KKTHX BYE

Relax dude...its his right to write whatever he lwants...like it or no...and the fighting is not poor but has some crappy issues...

If you have vista - you need install fix from Microsoft, to prevent memory leaks. It's not game, it's vista. Too much quests? Allright dude, go back to Diablo. This type of game clearly not suite you. Too bad. For the specs... I have Athlon x2 4400+ 2gb of ram and gforce 7900GS ... and game goes perfectly smooth on MAX details. So don't give that crap about 'poor optimization' to us. This game is FAR better optimized than NWN2 for example.

The game runs great.I think this comes down to user problems not using the latest drivers.The only things that annoys me in this game is the loading times when entering every building,but that hasn't stopped me playing non stop for 2 days.

The only thing that slightly annoys me are the loading times and sometimes the combat system.But so far it has been a hell of a ride:) I play the game at max settings without problems. I don't want to sound like a fanboy but im really happy with the game..good story, lots of quests, nice graphics, good sound, interesting skill system.Can't wait to make a new character that specializes in Fistfighting :)Some form of respec would be nice as well (maybe it's in-game but undiscovered?)

ioler said:
Minute+ loading times.A huge memory leak that forces me to restart every 30 minutes or so.Completely unoptimized - this one seems to be a standard issue with european-made games. I wonder why? Furthermore, it's an engine by Bioware... how did you manage to bloat it up so badly? The performance of this game is so poor that even as an avid gamer, I find it extremely difficult to keep playing it with a system that should be more than capable of handling it on medium settings. Developers, learn from the Source engine.
My rig is only barely above the minimum requirements and I run the game on almost max settings without any problems.The loading times are a bit annoying, but 1 minute to load an area seems extremely exaggerated to me. In general loading times for most exteriors are a lot shorter than for example for many exterior areas in NWN2 (which is also based on a modified Aurora engine). Even NWN1 has long load times when entering large areas.The memory leak may be related to your operating system, if you're running Windows Vista you'll need a patch for Vista from Microsoft.
Personally, I find the combat a lot of fun but that is a matter of taste. It is, at least, a lot more entertaining than combat in NWN2 which consists of clicking once on an enemy target and watch the completely static combat or the 'how fast can I click' combat of Diablo and it's many clones.
Character talents are also weird. For example, the beast lore talent is retarded and now that I already took it, I can't get rid of it and put it to better use. Same thing with the fighting talents.
Beast lore can save you a LOT of money if you take it early on, if you take it after you read the appropriate books it's definitely a wasted talent.
Inconsistency with difficulty and pacing. Good luck killing the Beast on hard or getting very far in the swamp.
Well... 'Hard' is supposed to be hard, I guess :) (sorry, couldnt resist)
Inconsistency in Journal & Dialog. I ran so many missions in the Temple Quarter that I completely lost track of why I was investigating these people.
Keeping track of the quests wasn't much of a problem for me, I got lost on how to progress once or twice but usually got back on track quite easily so far. Depending on which cRPGs you've played before, the sheer amount of quests can get a bit confusing though.

Minute+ loading times.
I play on a laptop (HP Compaq 8510w). It has a 5400rpm HDD and loading times are about 20 sec. With autosave it's ~35sec. I think two times I encountered 1min loading time.
A huge memory leak that forces me to restart every 30 minutes or so.
Patch + Vista fix - everything in readme...
Completely unoptimized [...] Developers, learn from the Source engine.
Steam? It took Valve ages to fix the stuttering problem...
Your opinion. Majority of people like it, so it was a good decision to have it that way. You can't please everybody...
Character talents are also weird. For example, the beast lore talent is retarded and now that I already took it, I can't get rid of it and put it to better use. Same thing with the fighting talents.
I just can't recall a game where you could upgrade your swordfighting skills, and after some time if you don't like it you can degrade the swordfighting back to where it was and power up your (for example) magic skills...
Inconsistency with difficulty and pacing. Good luck killing the Beast on hard or getting very far in the swamp.
[sarcasm]Yeah, and these morons who made Unreal Tournament 3 - the "godlike" settings for bots is stupid - I can't kill them!!! [/sarcasm] It seems that You are just not good enough..

ioler said:
I had been waiting for this game for a long time now, and stupidly rushed to purchase it right away. Boy was I disappointed. It will also be the last game I purchase from the makers, which I suspect is the same conclusion many, many others like me will arrive at. Not good for an up-and-coming company.Minute+ loading times.A huge memory leak that forces me to restart every 30 minutes or so.Completely unoptimized - this one seems to be a standard issue with european-made games. I wonder why? Furthermore, it's an engine by Bioware... how did you manage to bloat it up so badly? The performance of this game is so poor that even as an avid gamer, I find it extremely difficult to keep playing it with a system that should be more than capable of handling it on medium settings. Developers, learn from the Source engine.Combat system is poor, at best. You really should have thought it through.Character talents are also weird. For example, the beast lore talent is retarded and now that I already took it, I can't get rid of it and put it to better use. Same thing with the fighting talents.Thanks for adding Shani's house. It made me tear out my hair in frustration. 1 minute to get in, few seconds of dialog, 1 minute to get out. Repeat ad infinitum until I got past the old woman by pure chance of luck.Inconsistency with difficulty and pacing. Good luck killing the Beast on hard or getting very far in the swamp.Inconsistency in Journal & Dialog. I ran so many missions in the Temple Quarter that I completely lost track of why I was investigating these people.Overall an extremely frustrating experience, 2/5 from me. I hope you follow up with support and extra optimization because in its current form, I just can't get myself to play it anymore.
Wow, sounds like u got a crappy pc, i have zero problems running this game with all patches installed, i love it, its a wonderful game and something new, sucks too be u!

my game laggs insanely at the fight with the beast, and as far as i can see, my computer is far better than the recommented it says on the box, and my settings are on lowest of low, and i have the patch installed, so im at a loss to what is going on, my guess is that the recommented specs are seriously lacking...

Rajin said:
If you have vista - you need install fix from Microsoft, to prevent memory leaks. It's not game, it's vista. Too much quests? Allright dude, go back to Diablo. This type of game clearly not suite you. Too bad. For the specs... I have Athlon x2 4400+ 2gb of ram and gforce 7900GS ... and game goes perfectly smooth on MAX details. So don't give that crap about 'poor optimization' to us. This game is FAR better optimized than NWN2 for example.
hey i cant install the hotfix for vista, because it says my OS is just supported lol??

damn... and i thought someone found some good reson NOT 2 play witcher... but its just another whiner... oh well -> U fail kkthxbai

Top Bottom