First review ! Score 92/100

+
well said, hethxxx. i usually read as much as i can about a game, not only cuz im an impetient little brat but also because i dont like disappointments. i want to know what is the game about and how i should set my expectations. a review can have a high or a low score but what matters to me may not matter to the reviewer. if a game got a 85 cuz it had amazing graphics and a wonderful story but it didnt get a 100 cuz of a poor fighting system than i wont be buying it. however if a game get a 70 cuz of some graphical glitches and poor presentation and lousy voice acting but great action and convinsing world than i WILL be all over it. the score doesnt matter as much as the content and the reason why the game is recieved the way it is by the reviewer. seeing all the dev diaries and how MM360 is here on the boards actaully answering fan's questions show than CDPR has faith in the game and they are trying to keep in touch with the community and that shows that they are not ABOVE the gamers nor they are separate from them. they are here to read what we think, what we wish for and please us as their crowd. game companies that dont listen to the gamers themselves are like stand up comedians that record their jokes on a CD back home and sell it and dont perform in front of a live audience. just cuz your momma tells you you're funny doesnt mean everyone else thinks so.

Muldred said:
You can't take a review seriously from a magazine that gave DA2 a 95/100. That's just...no.
I never trusted any magazine or website that is affiliated with big name video game publishers. Independent reviews is where the truth is at.I mean, how can you take these jokers seriously if this is their final verdict:

Muldred said:
This be a preview, not a review.
Muldred said:
I mean, how can you take these jokers seriously if this is their final verdict:
No kidding! That's just embarrassing.
The only thing remotely embarrassing about that is the mention of it being a modern classic. 95 is high but some are easy graders.

Damn it. If only CDPR had included an awesome button then perhaps it would have beaten DA2. Almost, CDPR, almost. I hope they don't take being second place after DA2 too harshly.

freakie1one said:
Damn it. If only CDPR had included an awesome button then perhaps it would have beaten DA2. Almost, CDPR, almost. I hope they don't take being second place after DA2 too harshly.
xDDDD

Seriously? I'm as old school/hardcore/PC/whatever as it gets and I can't stand the complaining about DAII. It's just a game. It was fine. Enjoyable. It's missing a lot of traditional elements associated with the RPG genre, I get that, but so what? It is what it is.I've come over here to read the boards and get interested in TW2 and practically every thread is making fun of DAII or delighting in its "perceived failure." If this is the future of gaming discourse, I'm out. Why anyone would think these devs would want a backhanded compliment like "We hate DAII, but we love you" I have no idea.Otherwise, this is an amazing score. I'm really looking forward to being able to read criticisms of the game. (Which are more useful than score, IMO.)

Firky said:
Seriously? I'm as old school/hardcore/PC/whatever as it gets and I can't stand the complaining about DAII. It's just a game. It was fine. Enjoyable. It's missing a lot of traditional elements associated with the RPG genre, I get that, but so what? It is what it is.I've come over here to read the boards and get interested in TW2 and practically every thread is making fun of DAII or delighting in its "perceived failure." If this is the future of gaming discourse, I'm out. Why anyone would think these devs would want a backhanded compliment like "We hate DAII, but we love you" I have no idea.Otherwise, this is an amazing score. I'm really looking forward to being able to read criticisms of the game. (Which are more useful than score, IMO.)
I think the mocking/hatred against DAII is quite universal and ubiquitous in the net, Firky, so it is here. In my opinion the game was enjoyable, but flawed (let's say 7,5/10). It one of the worst Bioware games, but that not saying too much since in my opinion Bioware standars are quite high. Some of its problems are quite incredible for a game from experienced developers as the canadians (i.e., repeated levels).
Firky said:
How did they get a full copy of the game? Is this a review, or a preview?
Nah, they used the press preview build. They're judging the whole game with 1/3 of it at maximum.

Just to set the record straight for Firky, who posted earlier.As its own entity, DA2 as a game is "OK". Whenever I think of "OK", I think of this Honda advert - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9B9UD5Hlp4Having really enjoyed everything I've played, that's been released by BioWare, DA2 felt like a slap in the face.Rushed development, poor continuity of a popular IP, far too linear with little weight on decisions making a tangible difference, utterly poor repeated use of areas, plus a gameplay overhaul that was perhaps too extreme for the IP it was marketed as the "sequel". Perhaps the one thing about the game I thought was good, was the voice acting. It gave some life to what were generally, uninteresting characters, that you couldn't interact with as much as you would want to_Overall, the game was just "OK". Not one I can be bothered to play through again numerous times, like other BioWare titles and that's probably what's the most disappointing thing of all.All that taken into account, that's why I have my reservations when it comes to gaming magazine and website reviews, who as a business, run on the advertising that publishers and developers pay for. The odd one or two might pick odd holes in a game to give the impression their "review" is balanced and objective, but they really aren't going to risk offending the very people who contribute to the very existence of their websites or magazines.As for the blanket criticism that exists on these forums for DA2, it's no different than anywhere else and that can especially be found on the BioWare forums. Sure there'll be some element of... "let's hope the little guy (CD Projekt) sticks it to the man (BioWare/EA Games)"...but on the whole, a great many people who I've seen be critical here, the BioWare forums, or indeed elsewhere, are simply disgruntled gamers who expected much, much better of a BioWare game.Personally, I do indeed hope that The Witcher 2 is a justifiably good enough product, that it exceeds the sales of Dragon Age 2. There's no "fanboy-ism" at play there. Just the hope that I get a great game to play and am totally happy with, plus the added hope that some of the bigger developers and publishers take a good, hard look at what has been achieved by a relatively small developer.Maybe... just maybe... others can take a leaf out of CD Projekt's book and get back to doing what they were good at doing before. If you've got more companies engaging as much, making quality products, instead of churning out stuff that's just "OK", then it's good for everyone, right?

@heath I think your opinion is fine, and I do think it's fine to post your opinion wherever you want. Reading *more* negativity about DAII, a game I liked immensely and unashamedly, especially just "button=awesome", is simply not what I wanted when I came to this forum. If that's what other posters want, go ahead. I'm not going to discuss it further. I made my point. It's all good. (But I'm not that interested in reading much more, either. Maybe the ask the dev thread.)On the high score for the review, I just hope that the game is good and gets lots of high scores from media and users. Best of luck, devs. I have 3 boxed copies of The Witcher up there on my shelf. Can't wait!

[moderator] Lets not turn this into another TW vs DA or even a DA2 love it or hate it thread we already have them don't need another one [/moderator]

Dragon Age 2 was a mistake. I am sure they are slapping themselves and wishing they hadn't got drunk the night they reviewed it. The Witcher 2 will decimate DA2. 92 for a preview build. That is great. Wait for more reviews to show up. I predict The Witcher 2 being the best scored game ever on Metacritic.

It's only the first review. As much as I liked characters and story in DA2 I'm pretty sure that TW2 will dominate when it comes to metascore. Anyway 9.2/10 is good but I'm sure that other reviews will be in the range of 9.4-10 :)

On the two biggest French websites, DA2 was rated 12/20 and 5/10 so I think The Witcher 2 will be a lot more significant for everybody waiting for a rpg here. If TW2 is highly rated ( that is almost certain ), it will become the unquestioned must-have because reviews are really important.

Top Bottom