First time playing on Death March any tips?

+
So I've played TW3 probably 2-3 times all the way through twice with the expansions. But I always played on basically normal difficulty never went above. However, I wanted to play again and I wanted to finally platinum TW3 so that means Death March playthrough. I'm still in White Orchard and I'm already noticing that I'm getting my arse handed to me b basic mobs like bandits, ghouls, and drowners. Has anyone got tips or build guides that can help? Food atm is very barren so taking damage is painful.

Has anyone got tips or build guides that can help?
What kind of a build do you currently play? I know you can't have many ability points yet, but what is your combat strategy?

I've been playing on Death March for literal years (I often forget there even are difficulty settings), and I usually play a combat-focused build that, once everything is unlocked, looks more or less like this:
1622958967804.png

You absolutely must use all of the defensive options you have: parry, counterattack, dodge, and roll -- but also know when they will not work.
Take those drowners, for example: you cannot parry or counter their "leaping" attacks (always dodge those), but you can parry and counter their "swiping" attacks.

Bandits: when they have archers, Arrow Deflection is amazing. Parry and counterattack work wonders against bandits that have one-handed weapons, but those with two-handed weapons you have to dodge (or blast with a Sign). Axii with Delusion is insanely good against human enemies, and that skill is the first I unlock and max out (followed by Arrow Deflection).

Ghouls are kinda the same as drowners, as in you cannot parry or counter their "leap" attacks but the "swipe" attacks you can. Of course, ghouls also regen health, but using heavy attacks on them works well. All five Signs also help; even Aard, because while you can't count on it to knock anything down early on, it still pushes the enemies back and gives you some more space.

Nekkers, wolves, and dogs don't have attacks you wouldn't be able to parry or counter, so spamming counterattacks against them is a good strategy as long as you don't get surrounded.

Bears are easy as long as you don't get hit. After they do the charging attack (which you need to dodge) hit them in the back. Hitting them with Aard, followed by a strong attack, also works great.

In general, I would say the best strategy is to just test what works best for you. White Orchard has a massive supply of low-level enemies, some of which even respawn (at least drowners near the Nilfgaardian garrison, and nekkers near the small Nilfgaardian camp closest to Vizima).

And as for food: there are dozens of honeycombs you can collect, and while you can sell them for a good price they are also usable as food.
Wolves, dogs, and bears drop raw meat, which is a plentiful food resource. Deer and rabbits also drop it if you want to hunt those.
If you're willing to loot houses (and then lie about it to the tax collector much later on :p ) you'll get plenty of food that way.
Try to make Swallow as soon as you can. Strong alcohol isn't too plentiful in White Orchard, but you can buy some from the innkeep if need be.

All in all, I would say the defensive tactics are key when playing on Death March. You can take your time in combat, especially in tougher fights. Spamming attacks, if that's something you're used to doing on the lower difficulties, will not go well because the enemies hit so hard.
Learn the enemies' attacks and strategies, then attack and defend accordingly.

(PS. Moved thread to the Witcher 3 forum.)

I'd say I usually play quite balanced builds... with a slight leaning towards the combat-focused abilities. I did unlock the gourmet ability towards the end of my session which definitely helped to make food heal for longer periods. Good to know about the ghouls and drowners leaps not being parryable. I assume the same can be said for axe bandits? As I think every parry on them I've attempted as failed lol.

I've been playing on Death March for literal years
I have just finished doing the story line and I was playing on standard settings, and just starting Hearts of Stone and after reading your post I was wondering if you are using NG+, or did you start a new game?
I am not sure in the sense of NG+.

I was left feeling a bit empty (at the end of the story) that I will not see the main characters again, Yen etc. I was pleasantly surprised to see Ciri in the Inn as I thought that the White Frost had got her. Will I see her again?

Anyway, on to Hearts of Stone and see what happens. :D

DM is easier starting from NG+, because you have the best potions, oils, good swords and armour etc. Starting a DM game from scratch will be a challenge until mid-game at the earliest, IMO.

Top Bottom