Fist Fighters do one-hit-kill?

+
Fist Fighters do one-hit-kill?

I didn't have this problem in my first playthrough, but now in my NG+ playthrough it seems every fist fight I get into that if I get hit even once I lose instantly, and these are against the lowly ones in Velen, not even prime fighters you meet later.

I have NG+, Death March, and Level Scaling turned on, sometimes the opponents show my level, sometimes they show as red skulls instead (same opponent, just seems random when the fight starts). I can beat them eventually by stun-locking them into a corner and not giving them a chance to counter but it's absurd that I should fall over dead in one punch from these guys. I'm even 11 levels higher now than the recommended level for Fist Fights of Velen but still this happens. Is this a bug? Is there a workaround? I could try turning off level scaling but don't know if that affects potential achievements like turning down difficulty does?

There is a known issue with "general" enemies being grossly OP if you began your NG+ run at too high a starting level. Anything over level 53+ seems to be the threshold. If disabling level-scaling doesn't balance things out, this is probably what you're seeing.

Fixing it, unfortunately, involves restarting NG+ at a lower level. Back up your present NG+ saves (just in case someone finds fix tomorrow or something ;)) and reload your standard game back when you were in the high 40's / low 50's. Beat the game and start a new NG+ from there. That's the only solution for it I've come across.

There is a known issue with "general" enemies being grossly OP if you began your NG+ run at too high a starting level. Anything over level 53+ seems to be the threshold. If disabling level-scaling doesn't balance things out, this is probably what you're seeing.

Fixing it, unfortunately, involves restarting NG+ at a lower level. Back up your present NG+ saves (just in case someone finds fix tomorrow or something
) and reload your standard game back when you were in the high 40's / low 50's. Beat the game and start a new NG+ from there. That's the only solution for it I've come across.

In regards to starting level, my NG+ began at level 39 so I don't think that specifically is the issue, I will try disabling level scaling temporarily just for fist fights and see if that corrects it. I didn't start any fist fight quests until into the mid 50 levels however so maybe it has more to do with what level you begin at?

The red skull icon only shows during fist fights half the time, and it only appears on general enemies if they are indeed over my level, but otherwise have had no other issues.

Does disabling level scaling affect any achievements or is that only difficulty?

Does disabling level scaling affect any achievements or is that only difficulty?

Just rechecked, and I don't see any achievements related to level scaling. It was a recent addition to the game. What you're seeing definitely isn't normal behaviour, even on NG+, and I'd definitely suspect level scaling to be the problem.

Just rechecked, and I don't see any achievements related to level scaling. It was a recent addition to the game. What you're seeing definitely isn't normal behaviour, even on NG+, and I'd definitely suspect level scaling to be the problem.

Hm. It does seem as if a lot of people are hitting all sorts of issues with the scaling thing. Hopefully, simply disabling it will work out.

Just to be sure, are you using any mods that affect enemies or combat in any way? If not, send a brief description of the issue with a save or three into CDPR Support.

I didn't have this problem in my first playthrough, but now in my NG+ playthrough it seems every fist fight I get into that if I get hit even once I lose instantly, and these are against the lowly ones in Velen, not even prime fighters you meet later.

I have NG+, Death March, and Level Scaling turned on, sometimes the opponents show my level, sometimes they show as red skulls instead (same opponent, just seems random when the fight starts). I can beat them eventually by stun-locking them into a corner and not giving them a chance to counter but it's absurd that I should fall over dead in one punch from these guys. I'm even 11 levels higher now than the recommended level for Fist Fights of Velen but still this happens. Is this a bug? Is there a workaround? I could try turning off level scaling but don't know if that affects potential achievements like turning down difficulty does?

Hm. It does seem as if a lot of people are hitting all sorts of issues with the scaling thing. Hopefully, simply disabling it will work out.

Just to be sure, are you using any mods that affect enemies or combat in any way? If not, send a brief description of the issue with a save or three into CDPR Support.

Hi Guys. Im with the same problem. Have you already find a solution?
Im in ng+, lvl 73 tring to beat the champion of the champion (fist fight - skellige). Recommended lvl is 50 and the enemy still being a red skull lvl ??

Tks

Yep, that troll will always be red skull. Just had the same story on my NG+ playthrough. I believe I was level 83 at the time.

Yep, that troll will always be red skull. Just had the same story on my NG+ playthrough. I believe I was level 83 at the time.

Bad exemple, so.

Its not only with this troll. Before it I just have been beat by the guy that fight you in the first mission of HoT, when you arrive at olgierd von everec house to get the frog contract.
He was red skull lvl ?? thet beat me with one single punch.

All other fist fight are this way. I have just manage to get to the troll (champion of the champion) because after a red skull beat me, when I try again, its lvl go back to normal. I need to lose to win. But there are missions that u dont have the second chance (like the troll or that one from Von Everec)

Its why Im seeking the solution just now.

Tks!!

Uggghhh... This all sounds like it's a formulaic error. It certainly doesn't seem to be assigned to specific NPCs.

If you can even semi-reliably recreate it, send a saved game into CDPR Support. I have no idea how the fist-fighter scaling differs from normal scaling, but it certainly seems as if certain opponents get a random "buff" here and there. (Likely just to mix things up a bit and add some challenge. Sure doesn't seem to work nicely with scaling if that's the case, though.)

Uggghhh... This all sounds like it's a formulaic error. It certainly doesn't seem to be assigned to specific NPCs.

If you can even semi-reliably recreate it, send a saved game into CDPR Support. I have no idea how the fist-fighter scaling differs from normal scaling, but it certainly seems as if certain opponents get a random "buff" here and there. (Likely just to mix things up a bit and add some challenge. Sure doesn't seem to work nicely with scaling if that's the case, though.)

I have a saved just before the troll fight.
Can you (or anybody) please cofirm if the troll is always a red skull ?? like @DinkzOfRivia told? If so, I will need to find other fist fight... and I dont know where to.

@aozgolo , did u send the ticket to CDPR Support? Have any news? .

Tks!

Last edited:
Damn, I though this was normal for NG+. I started at level 55 and noticed how OP enemies were in general, especially the Ciri controlled portions seem to be very imbalanced. I didn't have too much trouble with the fist fights, except when I got to the Troll at level 89, with a recommended start of 64 and the Troll is still a red skull, even though my attacks do almost no damage I was able to get him to about 40% health but by then I was out of swallow and white raffords and he can 2 hit kill me so it's near impossible.

Damn, I though this was normal for NG+. I started at level 55 and noticed how OP enemies were in general, especially the Ciri controlled portions seem to be very imbalanced. I didn't have too much trouble with the fist fights, except when I got to the Troll at level 89, with a recommended start of 64 and the Troll is still a red skull, even though my attacks do almost no damage I was able to get him to about 40% health but by then I was out of swallow and white raffords and he can 2 hit kill me so it's near impossible.

Its not a overall bug.
Its only with the fist fights; all enemies are red skull ?? level.

Yup, I think it's normal for event-related NPCs.
On my NG+ playthrough, I started at level 53, here are the red skull fist fights I remember.

1. The bodyguard from Hattori's quest, where you fist-fight him because you interrupted him.
2. The Redanian guards from The Price of Passage - when they confront you on the outskirts of Oxenfurt, they are red skull enemies, but you can switch to sword if you want.
3. The troll from Champion of Champions.

I'm sure I missed some too. Not sure if the Vidkaarls, and Baron were also red skulls.

Slightly off topic, but level scaling also wreaks havoc with the djinn fight in The Last Wish quest. Normally I would beat him within the first 3 tries on DM, but with level scaling enabled he became an HP sponge. Fighting him took me 2 hours and I had to mediate (yes, you can step away from him and do it) around 10-20 times. I was lvl 26 at the time.

Hmm... Why can't I remember that any fist fights would have been with red skulls ???

Doing some testing with my PS4... I haven't seen any other bugs with fist fights than audience was terrified (at least in) in Novigrad and it was hooraying before.

Right now I'm lvl 36 in my NG and the troll is lvl 28. Obviously without red skulls. So I don't think it should have red skull in NG+ either. Suggested level to this presice quest is 11, which sounds weird because Skellige fist fight was lvl 30 quest and the troll is lvl 28. Can't remember was it always like this.

I turned enemy scaling on and set difficulty to death march. Now the troll is lvl 36 (like me) and no red skull. Still no idea why the troll overlevels in NG+.

I think contacting RED support would be a good idea for everyone with skulls to do. There has been a lot of issues with level scaling in NG+, so if we are still going to get new patches, maybe they can work something out. http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Last edited:
Confirmed that disabling enemy scaling fix the problem with fist fights in NG+.
Just beat a guy in Toussaint Bank easily.
I was searching for other fist fight to send the ticket to CDPR with a good saved point. Dont need anymore.

Thank you guys!

Top Bottom