Fist fighting sucks so hard in this game

+
It's a bit strange since Geralt has super human reflexes yet he can still fail against some random peasant or some old Skellige man.

It's artificial difficulty.

How is it strange?!

Geralt, can parry every punch indefinitely [recall, super-human reflexes] but if you players can't read an opponents movements its your skills that need addressing.

All you literally need to do is square-up one opponent in a line, and just watch for jabs/strong punch and parry, counter -- rinse and repeat all day. Geralt is brokenly OP.

Truly, fisti-cuff combat is extremely simple in this game, too-simple in my opinion. Defeating lv23-32's in tournaments and whatnot when I was level 17 is norm and just too-easy.

I can't believe various players are struggling... lol

---------- Updated at 12:43 PM ----------

I agree, its stupid how every single character in the game is way tougher than Geralt in hand-to-hand fights. Which is why I don't do the fistfighting quests, its too much of an immersion killer.

But... the key to winning any fistfight is just countering and then hitting them and jumping back when they can hit you back again, rinse and repeat until they are dead.

Yea... So, you had the first-part right.

2nd part is off... Literally, no-need to ever dodge or jump back. Just parry punch, parry punch, and stand-still. and repeat till dead. Instant perfect, every time.

I think a lot of players here have god-awful reflexes, or really laggy computer's or a combination of both.

How is it strange?!

Geralt, can parry every punch indefinitely [recall, super-human reflexes] but if you players can't read an opponents movements its your skills that need addressing.

All you literally need to do is square-up one opponent in a line, and just watch for jabs/strong punch and parry, counter -- rinse and repeat all day. Geralt is brokenly OP.

Truly, fisti-cuff combat is extremely simple in this game, too-simple in my opinion. Defeating lv23-32's in tournaments and whatnot when I was level 17 is norm and just too-easy.

Never said i was struggling.

You have to be kidding me... You have trouble in fist-fights?!

"Room to move around" -- This is not a sword fight. There's literally no need to dodge, ever.

All you need to do is parry - Punch, parry- Punch, Parry - Punch. Its really easy to parry enemy's STRONG punch and QUICK - Jab.

Are you not playing at 60fps with i7 and 970gtx?

I have to say it, your reaction time is just awful if this is really keeping you from progressing and dedicating an entire thread on this... lol

Lol... I do have 60 fps most of the time, don't see what that has to do with it, or you acting like a complete jerk either. Seems you also have reading problems if you mistake an i7 for an i5.

Anyhow, moving on. I do try to parry and counter attack, like I said I wish parrying actually worked, instead - when it comes to fighting Georgious George for example parrying means fuck all and even when I'm level 19 - if he hits me once that's about 75% of my health gone in an instant.

I have no trouble with anything else in this game when it comes to combat, but fist fighting is awful.

Seems to me everyone who's complaining about the fist fighting just isn't very good at it.

Here's a hint - all you have to do is parry and counter like in swordfights. Stand in front of opponent, hit block as soon as he winds up for a punch, counterattack, mash attack button until he starts covering up, repeat for the win. Easy as pie unless you're underpowered.

Yes we aren't good at it. But you say all we have to do is parry or black. What we're saying is we can have our fists up to block and the other fighter takes off 30% of our health with a single punch. So it isn't as simple as you claim, at least in our experiences.

I'm wondering if those having trouble are using the keyboard/mouse and those that say it's easy are using a controller.

---------- Updated at 03:01 PM ----------

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant spam attacks to win!!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!! Make it simpelr cpdrprrpr!!!!!!!!!!!

You're real class. And for the rest does it make you feel important and superior because you don't have an issue with a COMPUTER GAME fight?

Last edited:
The difficulty in this game r seriously a joke! Fistfighting is supereasy. Just counterattack, hit and dodge. If you arent playing against a very high lvl enemy, just block!=) Playing on DM btw=)

How is it strange?!

---------- Updated at 12:43 PM ----------

Yea... So, you had the first-part right.

2nd part is off... Literally, no-need to ever dodge or jump back. Just parry punch, parry punch, and stand-still. and repeat till dead. Instant perfect, every time.

I think a lot of players here have god-awful reflexes, or really laggy computer's or a combination of both.

I don't know if you are playing on a lower difficulty, but parrying often does not work... you will get knocked back yourself if they do a strong attack and then they can hit you.

Haymaker incoming -> block as it's coming -> opponent staggers -> punch them 2-3 times -> dodge back -> repeat

edit. hmm, didn't think of the difficulty governing this. time to test

I'm wondering if those having trouble are using the keyboard/mouse and those that say it's easy are using a controller.
Controller controls suck in this game. Mouse & keyboard are much better if you reassign it. This is my control scheme for example: (1,2,3,4,5) - signs, right mouse - strong attack, left mouse - slow attack, V - block, (R,T) - potions, Q - steel sword, E - silver sword, CapsLk - Walk, Shift - Run, Space - Jump/roll, WASD - movement/dodge (double click movement is dodge by default), F - use, middle mouse - witcher sense, mouse 4 - use sign, mouse 5 - use item, Tab - quick menu.
I never use quick menu (only to select item/bomb - there is no way to assign those to keyboard), if there would be a way to assign those to Ctrl+(1,2,3,4,5) - I would forget that quick menu exists. I do not use lock target - it's bad in group fights and in single target fights you don't need it. I do not use separate key for dodge - I use double click on movement keys.
Stop spreading this shit about controller being better. After I heard that I struggled for several hours trying to use controller without any success, then switched to KB+mouse and after I played with key bindings a bit it was much better than anything you can do on controller.

Timed parrying always works. You do not even need to dodge, just block and parry. As soon as you realise that, fistdights become extremely ease(on death march). I think that fist fights in this game are mechanically superior overall. HOWEVER i really miss Geralt's advanced Muay Thai style fighting moves that he had on TW2. On TW3 his moves feel like basic amateur boxing.

What we're saying is we can have our fists up to block and the other fighter takes off 30% of our health with a single punch.

Does that happen when you're at about the same level as the enemy, though? What I've found is that if the enemy's level is significantly higher (i.e. when I attempted boxing sidequests that I wasn't at the right level for), I pretty much got destroyed no matter what. I didn't pay attention to what exactly happened, but I did get the impression that it was impossible to beat enemies that are at a significantly higher level. Maybe that's it? Blocking otherwise definitely works fine for me.

I really wasn't trying to be a jerk, btw, it's just that I've found that the combat in this game in general takes a lot of getting used to, but it is possible to learn it, and once you figure out how it works, it's totally fair and really fun. And 99% of the time when I see people complaining about any aspect of the combat on here, they claim it's cheap, so I'm sorry, but you're obviously doing something wrong because not everybody has these problems.

Haymaker incoming -> block as it's coming -> opponent staggers -> punch them 2-3 times -> dodge back -> repeat

The problem is, that that doesn't work against two or more enemies, because while the first guy is staggered, the second guy attacks you.

That is the problem with fist fight, specially if you aren't even allowed to dodge roll. Fist fights against one enemy are easy. You can do the fist fight quests while being massively underleveled without problems, but as soon as another opponent enters the fight, the difficulty spikes massively.

Yeah, you are right. Multiple enemies are tougher.

If there is enough room you can try to maneuver such that the enemies are coming at you one at a time or maybe in a fashion in which one is further behind so you have room to do a stagger-counter. It's difficult to do this sometimes but there have been a few times where the 2nd or 3rd guy was a behind enough to make a difference.

If you fight one person,never attack just wait for him to attack and counter with 2 punch-repeat. If your enemy throw very fast direct punch its really hard to counter,just take a few step back and try to counter that way. If you fight more than one person,just careful with your positioning and try to defeat them one by one. I never lost a fist fight at death march using this.

Keep your distance so they do a long wielding ranged attack and counter that, then do a heavy attack followed by a normal attack and dodge back.

This. It's the way I've done all the fist fights. When at distance they do those long, telegraphed swings which you parry and then counter attack. As Onkel says, you can always get in a heavy and light punch, sometimes even two lights, before dodging back. Rinse and repeat.

In this particular quest, I also used the stairs to fight one at a time. Definitely an annoyingly small area to fight two guys on Death March when they knock you down in 3-4 hits.

Does that happen when you're at about the same level as the enemy, though? What I've found is that if the enemy's level is significantly higher (i.e. when I attempted boxing sidequests that I wasn't at the right level for), I pretty much got destroyed no matter what. I didn't pay attention to what exactly happened, but I did get the impression that it was impossible to beat enemies that are at a significantly higher level. Maybe that's it? Blocking otherwise definitely works fine for me.

I really wasn't trying to be a jerk, btw, it's just that I've found that the combat in this game in general takes a lot of getting used to, but it is possible to learn it, and once you figure out how it works, it's totally fair and really fun. And 99% of the time when I see people complaining about any aspect of the combat on here, they claim it's cheap, so I'm sorry, but you're obviously doing something wrong because not everybody has these problems.

I was around level 29 or 30 and went to finish off some quests before the final preparations of the main quest. So I'm doing the fighting quests in Novigrad where they are level 24 or so. I start the last fight against the elf (butcher guy?) and start the fight with a block. He hits me twice and my health is down to around 55-60%. This was right at the start of the fight and I held down the right mouse button from fad-in. It looked on screen like I was blocking yet the results were like I took full punches.

I've since finished that game, ignoring the rest of the fights and have started a new game. If it continues I'll do a video grab and post it to show that I'm not crazy. maybe this is a bug that impacts only some people. Sort of like the XP bug and crash bug where everyone wasn't effected.

If it continues I'll do a video grab and post it to show that I'm not crazy. maybe this is a bug that impacts only some people. Sort of like the XP bug and crash bug where everyone wasn't effected.

Yeah, that doesn't sound at all like what it's been like for me. Weird.

Lol... I do have 60 fps most of the time, don't see what that has to do with it, or you acting like a complete jerk either. Seems you also have reading problems if you mistake an i7 for an i5.

Anyhow, moving on. I do try to parry and counter attack, like I said I wish parrying actually worked, instead - when it comes to fighting Georgious George for example parrying means fuck all and even when I'm level 19 - if he hits me once that's about 75% of my health gone in an instant.

I have no trouble with anything else in this game when it comes to combat, but fist fighting is awful.

Parrying punches always work; clearly, your issue is timing/skill and you blame the game.

So, this is how it works.... get good man. There's only a select few of you on this thread who are truly bashing the mechanics that ACTUALLY work, provided the player is skillfully performing the said actions.

---------- Updated at 09:00 PM ----------

I don't know if you are playing on a lower difficulty, but parrying often does not work... you will get knocked back yourself if they do a strong attack and then they can hit you.

Difficulty has NOTHING TO DO WITH PARRYING punches. Absolutely, nothing. Its all "timing".

I think people here again, awful reflexes, or laggy computers or a combination of the 2.

For clarification I play the on the 2nd hardest level before DM. I forget what it's called, "Break bones, blood and bones" or whatever.

I did a couple of fist-fights yesterday and recorded it. [They are all 1v1's, but its just to demonstrate the science of an easy fight.]

I demonstrated several ways beat peeps up, or get beat-up, but i never lost a fight.

In the first piece, i stood in his face nearly all day, parry, parry parry, block, parry. Lastly, I stood far away, to Charge strong attacks just before enemy and it generally always hits, if you're too scared to be in their face.

I'm lv24. I'm in Skellige:

720p [Shadowplay]

Last edited:
Top Bottom