[Fix] Force Surround Audio (if your W3 stuck in Stereo, this makes it surround)

+
[Fix] Force Surround Audio (if your W3 stuck in Stereo, this makes it surround)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7uM4uW6ZNM&feature=youtu.be

It modifies the directx audio files so its not a specific fix for withcer 3. Reportedly, it fixed many other games beside witcher 3 and it was made not for witcher 3. But it works for witcher 3. I modified the script a bit to make it works on relative path*

The maker also said that it makes Watch Dogs mute.

pardon my english.

*the original script need the files to be extracted on root of C:\ and without sub dir.

---------- Updated at 02:44 PM ----------

btw make sure you select proper surround sound mode on the audio setting on realtek panel. in my case, my receiver only supports Dolby 5.1ch. DTS is not supported.

YESSSS! thank you so much!!
i love it when forums members manage to help each other.
especially when that other is ME!

finally a rich surround sound. sounds so much better.

this fix should maybe be inserted to the "tweaks" thread.

Could anyone give a detailed installation directions for this fix. I have tried every way I can think of to install this and it is not working. I have manually copied the files from the folder into sys32 and wow64, still no luck. when I try to do it by right clicking bat and running as admin, I get "path can not be found" in the cmd box.

Thanks

open the "EDITED xaudiosyswow64" folder, copy all .DLL files
to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ (overwrite everything)

open the "EDITED xaudiosys32" folder, copy all .DLL files
to C:\Windows\System32\ (overwrite everything)

No way to get an official surround or 5.1, 7.1 fix ? Since monster can be all around you, it would be pretty cool to here them at the right place !

Thanks you very very much. It also solved my similar sound issue in AC Unity, so I could return Creative Xi-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro and get back 60 $ :)

is this only for digital? surround works for analog

Yes, i would like to know too ! When i'm playing on the Speakers, with analog so and on a Z5500, i'm having a surround effect. But I would like to play it on the Realtek Digital Output (Optical), to have a nicer 5.1... and even a DTS if the game is providing... But even after replacing the Sys32 and SYSWOW64 files included in the zip (cause I'm having "the cannot finf the path" error too with the.bat files), the game is still in stereo on Optical...
I'm lost.
I never played games on optical on my pc cause every time the sound is stereo, and I was kind of hoping for a solution, after all these years...

has you changed your audio output to Dolby Surround on audio option on Windows?

Right click on the speaker icon near the clock on bottom right of taskbar.
click Playback devices
Set as default on Realtek optical digital audio
properties on realtek optical digital audio
advanced tab
default format DOLBY 5.1

then test it by going to "supported format tab"
click dolby, click test.

Hey everyone, I just created an account to post my experience about this topic, as I was also unable to get 5.1 audio working via SPDIF, initially.
So, first of all, thank you @orangpelupa, for your solution, because ultimately if also fixed this issue for me, even though not all at once.
The fixed directx audio files alone did not do the trick for me, because I initially missed this point you added later on:

has you changed your audio output to Dolby Surround on audio option on Windows?

Right click on the speaker icon near the clock on bottom right of taskbar.
click Playback devices
Set as default on Realtek optical digital audio
properties on realtek optical digital audio
advanced tab
default format DOLBY 5.1

then test it by going to "supported format tab"
click dolby, click test.

So to everyone still facing this issue, for example @WadOfGore, I'd really like to stress, that configuring the 5.1 speakers is just as important as applying the fixed directx audio files, if not even more important. Also, @WadOfGore, I think you mentioned you never really got 5.1 audio working via SPDIF. So what audio chip exactly are you using? Because, SPDIF technically can only transmit two channel audio, however by realtime encoding the mutlichannel audio into a compressed DTS or Dolby Stream 5.1 is still possible. The precise technologies, your chip would have to support in order to make things possible, are Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect (with the latter having a slight edge in terms of quality because of a higher bandwidth).
In my case, I'm using a brand new Asus Xonar DSX card with DTS Connect, and even though I configured DTS Connect in the ASUS Xonar Driver, and 5.1 audio was working great in Battlefield 3, I couldn't get i to work in The Witcher 3. All I got was Stereo, which also was extremely quiet.
I actually never bothered about configuring my audio device in Windows, because I was always under the impression that you should do such things in the driver specific to your device. Pretty much like you would set your graphic settings in your AMD or Nvidia control panel and not use Windows' own settings.
Anyways, here are some precise steps, which should complement the solution by @orangpelupa. Also, please forgive me for having the screenshots only in German, so far I have only installed my native language in my brand new Windows installation I created just for The Witcher Wild Hunt:D:

Step 1: This slightly differs for me: After right clicking the speaker icon and then Playback Devices, I chose the entry called "Speakers-ASUS Xonar DSX Audio Device" and not "SPDIF Passthrough Device", which would sound more like the "Realtek optical digital audio" suggested by @orangpelupa. This is simply because you'll need to go into the "Configure" (German: "Konfigurieren") menu, which was grayed out for the SPDIF Passthrough Device.

Step 2: In the dialog that opens, it is extremely important that you select 5.1 Surround. For me it was still set to Stereo, even though my Receiver was showing DTS 5.1 and Battlefield 3 surround sound was working as fine as always. Kind of weird, I know :D. At that point you should then already be able to test your speakers using the green play icon with sound coming from each of your speakers and subwoofer, one at a time.

Step 3: On the next page tick the three boxes as indicated to select the speakers available in your setup. Also, don't worry that the last entry "Rear pair" (German: "Hinteres Paar") is grayed out in favor of "Side pair" (German: "Seitliches Paar"). This is normal, as the rear pair is the additional pair of speakers you would have in a 7.1 setup.

Step 4: Now on the following screen it is extremely important to not tick these two boxes. What this option would do, is trying to map low frequencies to your speakers instead of your subwoofer. There obviously are speakers capable of doing that, but these are "full spectrum speakers" usually not found in a 5.1 setup, where the rather small speakers are providing high and medium frequencies, while the subwoofer is providing bass sounds.

Step 5: On the last page simply hit "Finish" and together with the fixed DirectX audio files you should be now ready to enjoy CD Projekt RED's baby in amazing 5.1 audio with all those great ambient sounds :guitar:.

Now as a final image this is how the Asus Xonar Driver view should look after all the steps indicated above. Now if it does, don't touch anything and be happy :D.
Wow, okay this post got a lot longer than I thought it first, but I wanted to be really clear and hope that this might be helpful for other people having problems with 5.1 audio via SPDIF, especially on Xonar cards. I hope this post makes any sense as English is not my native language and this is my first post ever on this awesome forum, which I enjoy reading almost every day!

Attachments

• Speaker Setup Step 0.jpg
    Speaker Setup Step 0.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 814
  • Speaker Setup Step 1.jpg
    Speaker Setup Step 1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 917
  • Speaker Setup Step 2.jpg
    Speaker Setup Step 2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 774
  • Speaker Setup Step 3.jpg
    Speaker Setup Step 3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 846
  • Xonar DSX Audio Center.jpg
    Xonar DSX Audio Center.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 741
I play on my TV, and the properties just allow me to enable stereo, the dialogues are very low in pre rendered cinematics

It's a common problem in many games, I don't understand why the dev don't fix that for each game.

Last edited:
guys, for those that got the error on the .bat files...
does windows installed on C:\windows or custom location? or is it have multiple windows installation?

thanks

---------- Updated at 06:47 AM ----------

@CrocPoulet
some TV did not allow pass through 5.1ch.

my samsung tv only stereo :( i need to directly plug the 5.1 sound system into my PC via optical cable

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Im using a Xonar Essence STX, 5.1 IS WORKING, but still the sound from the centre speaker is very low. When watching cut-scenes or when Geralt talks i can barely hear anything.

Same here. SPDIF ( DTS / Dolby Digital ) has surround (I ran the file fixes) but centre speaker is super low so voices are really hard to make out during cutscents. Overall W3 audio so low my speakers are up full!. When Gerald gets hit while using Quen it's loud though. Shame as game would be close to perfect with this fixed (and NPC pop-in right in front of Roach).

Apparently SPDIF has the issue and HDMI is OK but my SS has no HDMI input :(

Looks like its the exactly same problem, Pixeldamage.
And my sound doesn't have an HDMI input too. Smart Volume on my card software (Loudness Equalization on some other cards) helps, but at least for me is still low. Everything is loud, and Geralt speaking very low :(

im the revere. center speaker is too loud. so i put -2db on my av receiver lol.

CDPR need to make audio option
- Select your speaker system: stereo, 4ch, 5.1ch, 7.1ch.
- Adjust your speaker azmuth
- adjust your speaker volumes (accompanied with sound test)

Top Bottom