Fix Skellige! 90% of the People are Only Playing That

+
supafreaky;n9002530 said:
I haven't even done my daily 6 in over a week. I just jump in here every now and then to see if they fixed the game...... apparently not

Seconded.

SK is broken. Renew is broken. Net-decking is broken.

This game needs a tournament mode where perhaps 3 decks are required to compete. 8 players.

Last 7 games i played this morning were all Skellige,same damn build with bears and queensguards and its soo annoying,i played more then 20 + games since last night and in NONE of them i got matched with Northern Realms....i think im only guy playing NR in ranked right now....i was counting and in those 20 games i had matched 3 times with elfs,4 times with monsters,0 with NR,few with NF and guess what....13 + times with damn Skellige.
Worst thing is that they play all same build that is not even skill based,its just copy paste deck from Gwent DB and you win.

I quit playing Ranked and perhaps i even quit this game until this damn faction is fixed (NERFED).

I know this post is kinda bitching but i could not been able to progress in game,not even 1 rank since 5 days ago and all because of Skellege and me refusing to play them.Win rate against them is like 20%.Fix this CDPR pls.

Atm i quit ranked cause i refuse to give players ranked points and ranks without an effort.

Last edited:
Okay so I have a slight change in opinion, just purely because this many people can't be unhappy even though I find control decks fun and don't mind playing them just to capitalize on the said decks that everyone thinks are broken. So here is what I propose:
Grant necromancy free to all players upon starting the game.
Change holgar as a starter card to maybe svanrige? (the starter deck is too synergistic for sticky revive themes)
nerf hjalmar by like 3 stat
nerf morkvarg by like 1 stat
fix the bears so they don't damage the shackled unit (i overlooked this because I didn't realize that was a thing, I don't run bears)
buff the base stat of every lock unit in the game by 1
Make shackles also reset half of the power gained from abilities so (base strength + 50% boosted power if thats not too complicated to understand) OR give it a secondary effect simillar to first light
Then also nerf monster the tiniest bit...
Those harpies, still not in a great spot, 6 strength round 1, 6 strength round 2 + potential to consume each egg for 5 when nekkers are a nuisance and arachas behemoths exist. Maybe create a tech card that can wipe all spawned mobs.

That would probably be the most balanced meta we will see and then doesn't punish the SK deck that I play to counter monster weather, I only run it because raging berserkers are so damned good into weather and axemen decks get punished by it too, simply put... There are so many counter plays that can be made to SK and I really don't sympathise with people who choose to ignore those options, things like shieldmaidens can be beaten by healing/buff/shield decks, queensguard gets raped by monster consume which is also kind of broken, if you nerf one deck to the ground you gotta nerf the counterpart to the ground.

Also I think people are largely exaggerating the deck pool, maybe it's just because I'm still hovering low MMR of 1500+. Decks here are still mostly just ST dwarves/spella'tael, monster consume, monster weather, wild hunt, some budgetish sort revive SK decks, and the occasional NR trio deck. But it's more like 30% SK/30% monster/20%ST/10%NR.

Skellige is overpowered, however, it's still possible to be defeated (despite being kind of hard and you gotta to be lucky indeed ) .... but, if developers really listen the Gwent Community, they can in fact fix and nerf some special stuff from this faction

HTMekkatorque;n9007800 said:
Also I think people are largely exaggerating the deck pool, maybe it's just because I'm still hovering low MMR of 1500+. Decks here are still mostly just ST dwarves/spella'tael, monster consume, monster weather, wild hunt, some budgetish sort revive SK decks, and the occasional NR trio deck. But it's more like 30% SK/30% monster/20%ST/10%NR.
What do you think? Every SK player even the worst ones are at higher rank since the deck simply carry them. Here is an analysis from the last week: https://i.redd.it/x34pguo4qs5z.png.
You will notice that 50% of the player are using SK deck.

Brenex;n9004750 said:
They should indeed name it Skelligo-away.
I seconded with a Skelligwent ^^

I have been playing monsters consume and SK axemen and I have to say that there are 2 specific ways to kill axemen, spell decks and super NG buffind with carryover. These are 2 very strong builds that counter SK axemen easy. But your biggest enemy is not drawing any axemen, or any weather. Without enough weather you will lose even against mediocre decks as your units rely on buffing and are not high stats on their own.

I constantly lose with infantry or shieldmeidens in my hand after tossing them. You have to have decent enough luck to play this deck IMO.

Thanatos35;n9016920 said:
What do you think? Every SK player even the worst ones are at higher rank since the deck simply carry them. Here is an analysis from the last week: https://i.redd.it/x34pguo4qs5z.png.
You will notice that 50% of the player are using SK deck.

I seconded with a Skelligwent ^^

Well this is nice to see your personal statistics with the builds, and this is something I want to be able to see on a grander scale, i.e. not just your deck statistics and other peoples deck statistics and I think there should be a way to find out. Still there is a lot to wonder about with your data for instance, is your skellige card pool slightly better than your other selections, is part of that win ratio boom with skellige just due to the fact that this is your most practiced deck.

After looking at your stats though, I am starting to think maybe crait is the problem, if so is that just because he lets you pull morkvarg so easily. This is a tricky imbalance to fix, given that crait is so much better than the other leaders in a utility way, lets presume changing his body wouldn't change the win % because he's usually layed down on round 1 where you expect to lose anyway, so you have to be careful not to give SK any creatures with too powerful effect around the 8-10 body because it will just be abused.

I tend to agree with jinxed, the deck has consistency issues, it's like you're playing against yourself really, to play cleverly with your discards instead of playing against the enemy. When I'm playing skellige, often opting not to change cards is a more surefire way of negating the chances of drawing into two shieldmaidens but this is counterproductive when you need a good mix of weather and axemen, I personally think theres a lot of anti synergies in the deck that make up for the fact that some cards seem powerful on paper. For instance lets look at the shieldmaiden more, if you are dropping him on turns 1 you're not taking advantage of the veteran stat and if you're holding onto him then you don't gain any advantage from his thinning capabilities and run the risk that you may not be able to scathe anyone thats buffed or armored targets for damage and therefore it'll end up being a dud card anyway.

Last edited:
HTMekkatorque;n9019870 said:
Well this is nice to see your personal statistics with the builds, and this is something I want to be able to see on a grander scale, i.e. not just your deck statistics and other peoples deck statistics and I think there should be a way to find out. Still there is a lot to wonder about with your data for instance, is your skellige card pool slightly better than your other selections, is part of that win ratio boom with skellige just due to the fact that this is your most practiced deck.
Ain't my stats. Comes from Gwent up website. Here is the reddit FYI https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6jeehh/leaders_winratepopularity_l_vs_l_stats_and/

HTMekkatorque;n9019870 said:
I personally think theres a lot of anti synergies in the deck that make up for the fact that some cards seem powerful on paper. For instance lets look at the shieldmaiden more, if you are dropping him on turns 1 you're not taking advantage of the veteran stat and if you're holding onto him then you don't gain any advantage from his thinning capabilities and run the risk that you may not be able to scathe anyone thats buffed or armored targets for damage and therefore it'll end up being a dud card anyway.
That is true for many deck actually. Monster with foglet, sorcerers, frost to mulligan out. If the problem is ONLY with shieldmaiden that you don't want twice, I don't all that a problem...

Thanatos35;n9020640 said:
Ain't my stats. Comes from Gwent up website. Here is the reddit FYI https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6jeehh/leaders_winratepopularity_l_vs_l_stats_and/

That is true for many deck actually. Monster with foglet, sorcerers, frost to mulligan out. If the problem is ONLY with shieldmaiden that you don't want twice, I don't all that a problem...

Yeah well shieldmaidens are definitely worth running, there is not doubt about that, but picking up two is definitely not the only downside to the shieldmaiden, also needs a damaged unit, and like i was saying that can be tricky into some archetypes that tend to buff their units up or consume them, and quite often you're against a weather monster deck and they'll drop fog on your middle row and chunk you for half the power. They actually are one of the most conditional units in the game and people should never expect a perfect 21 points from them on turn 3, but a 15ish points on turn 2 is possible. But there are still creatures in the game that can sway the game by 15 points, caelenno harpies and reaver hunters are just as big a problem, if not a bigger problem. I actually had a horrible game today where the reaver hunters became 25ish power creatures and he had four of them on the board.

I just think in the grand scheme of things, shieldmaidens are not the problem, I consider hjalmar into weather to be a free 25 gold legendary and I believe morkvarg in a crait deck a little overpowered but really I think shieldmaidens are more easily countered than most other things and you only get to play them once, they are a great tempo play but it minimizes your chances or mulliganing and has a very limited and predictable pattern as to when it's going to be played.

If you are only winning 55% of the time with your crait deck, then thats only 1/20 games where you are winning a bonus game rather than breaking even, and I think thats probably 5-8 points difference over the course of the match, however I suspect if they nerf skellige like they nerfed nilfguard then it'll be overkill and also I'm picking up any shieldmaidens in packs right now that I can because I do think they'll nerf it and refund the scraps. But seriously, I'm holding onto like 6 of these bad boys at the moment.

Everyone needs to stop hating on SK. Just start playing the Deck. Lets turn Gwent into a game where everyone is playing SK. It will be kinda like chess at that point. If we are all playing the same deck it will truly be a game of skill. Jump on the band wagon bro. Quit the hate. SK IS THE WAY. just 10% left of players to convert.

ConradBones1;n9025200 said:
Everyone needs to stop hating on SK. Just start playing the Deck. Lets turn Gwent into a game where everyone is playing SK. It will be kinda like chess at that point. If we are all playing the same deck it will truly be a game of skill. Jump on the band wagon bro. Quit the hate. SK IS THE WAY. just 10% left of players to convert.

So now GWENT: The Witcher Card Game is changing into SKELLIGE: The Cancer Card Game ? That's cute.

Brenex;n8979270 said:
Can you like fix the game, or at least the balance? 90% of the people are currently playing 1 faction, and basically 1 deck with a few card variations, is that what you intended?

Most of what I see is still NG and NR.

Savior24796;n9025940 said:
So now GWENT: The Witcher Card Game is changing into SKELLIGE: The Cancer Card Game ? That's cute.

Your looking at this incorrectly. The most fun i have in this game is a SK on Sk match. There is strategy there. Every card you play and in the order you play it really matters. With the other factions it is getting boring. I just stomp on them with the rare loss sprinkled in every now and then. Other then spell a tell, the paper to my rock. I play Ax-men. I just forfeit that game, not worth the time. Roll on the then next, and crush it bro.

My deck destroy skelige, but i played like 20games last night on ranked at 3700mmr and nobody was playing skelige, LOOOOOL !!!

i got my ass kicked by Swim with NR because i had draug instead of igni, lmao....

At 2k mmr its not fun anymore, its like they should just rename the game monsters vs skellige. Out of 32 games, 11 was against skellige and 9 was against monsters. It's just boring playing the same 2 decks over and over and over. I'm going to look at steam and get a new game to occupy my time untill next patch.

There are honestly too many low-mmr complaints here who seemingly flat-out refuses to adopt the numerous counters to SK. SK is no longer dominant. SK is barely in the meta in higher ranks because SK has proven to be subpar to numerous newer builds. These forums would honestly feel fresher if they weren't dominated by baseless whining, sorry to be blunt.

Top Bottom