[FIXED] Steam version will not patch up (game will not run correctly)

+
[FIXED] Steam version will not patch up (game will not run correctly)

[FIXED] I have solved the below issues by totally uninstalling the game, deleting the folder in the Steam directory, deleting the Witcher 2 folder in my documents, and then running Steam in admin mode. I then download and install the game again, and now it patches and runs!

Hi,

I recently purchased Steam version of this game. It downloaded fine, however when I tried to launch it, it initially advised I did not have enough disk space to patch the game. I tried to patch again, and now it says "installed game version is invalid or incomplete".

So, I use the integrity checker on steam, and it downloads a 9gb file to repair the installation. I try to launch game again, patcher runs, both 1.3 and 1.35 say "installed game version is invalid or incomplete". At this point, the game would not run, or patch. Nothing.

I checked forums for answers, tried running patchers with admin privelages, fixed the registry with CD Projekts own registry fix tool . Deleted the game, re-downloaded and installed. Installed all windows updates. Installed ALL drivers again, this includes network, sata, gfx. EVERYTHING. As a result, I can now launch the game (only if I run steam in admin mode), however, the game still will not patch up, runs only a terrible low resolution, and crashes as soon as I get to the part when I can play as Geralt for first time.

Since that point, I have gone out of my way to download EVERY patch file released to date from this website. EVERY single patch I try to install says the game version is invalid or incomplete. The icing on the cake is when I run steam integrity check in the game, it now says "All files validated successfully!". Which means steam thinks the game is fine.

Im stuck, and I'm worried I may never play this game. If anyone has has the same issue please let me know, if there is a simple fix I am missing ,please let me know. I have already emailed CD Projekt, however I have seen people try to do this without getting a response for over 3 days.

My dxdiag is attached if anyone would like to take a look.

common problem.Steam Did you switch off automatic updating in Steam? try installing just plain 1.0 version of the game then switch off Steam and get 1.2 or 1.3 patch from TW2 website and install it. see what happens
hope it helps!

Saoe
Posted Today, 10:02 PM
common problem.Steam Did you switch off automatic updating in Steam? try installing just plain 1.0 version of the game switch off Steam and get 1.2 or 1.3 patch from TW2 website and install it. see what happens
hope it helps!

So, basically re-download the game, don't touch anything, don't launch, nothing. Quit steam. Try installing patches manually?

OK, I'll give it a try overnight as this download takes somewhere between 6 - 8 hours to complete (so annoying). In the meantime, the game now seems to be working, unpatched, it seems. I just started a new game, tried importing a different W1 save, and it works!

However, I still would like the 1.35 patch, and not being able to patch is very annoying.

If you re-downloaded it from Steam, then you'd have the 1.35 version from the get-go. All of the patches would have been included in the fresh install & you should have seen their patcher running 2 or 3 times during the first fresh launch.

deadwulfe said:
If you re-downloaded it from Steam, then you'd have the 1.35 version from the get-go. All of the patches would have been included in the fresh install & you should have seen their patcher running 2 or 3 times during the first fresh launch.

The patcher does run twice, however at the end of each cycle, I get the error that game version is incorrect. However, the game now launches...

Does this mean the game is actually patched, despite the error message?

Thanks.

On a second glance, I think the patches definitely failed. My steam achievements work, which did lead me to believe the game is patched, however I dont think any of the new content is installed. For example, the Troll.dzip file that is supposed to contain an add-on which came out soon after release, is only 32 bytes large. This would not contain any DLC whatsoever.

Is there any way I can check the version of my game to know for certain?

Thanks.

Bottom line is: My patches ALWAYS error when trying to install and I'm yet to find a work around.

I'm stealing the answer from a different thread. Right-click on the executable and check out the Details tab or look in the readme. I think the first method will be more accurate for you, if the patching is failing.

File version is 0.0.0.0? This makes no sense as steam version is supposed to be 1.2 without the patches installed...

Top Bottom