Fixes for 2.1 and TW2EE Issues and 142 error or W2 stopped working Update 12/19/2014

+
I was having this issue with the Lucid Logix MVP. I fixed it by disabling the onboard GPU of the i5 2500k. Then re-enabled it. Its been working since no issues.

I uninstalled Virtu and the game now launches.

The program did get an update to version 1.2.114 though so I'll test that and see how it goes.

EDIT: How do I disable the integrated GPU on my 2500K on my mobo's BIOS (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO with BIOS 3203)?

EDIT 2: Latest version still stops me from playing the game. Will have to get in touch with Lucid's support team about this as I don't think they even know that there's a conflict judging by the detailed release notes.

EDIT 3: Just fired an email off to the address on Lucid's support page. Will keep you guys posted on my progress.

PalZer0 said:
I uninstalled Virtu and the game now launches.

The program did get an update to version 1.2.114 though so I'll test that and see how it goes.

EDIT: How do I disable the integrated GPU on my 2500K on my mobo's BIOS (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO with BIOS 3203)?

EDIT 2: Latest version still stops me from playing the game. Will have to get in touch with Lucid's support team about this as I don't think they even know that there's a conflict judging by the detailed release notes.

EDIT 3: Just fired an email off to the address on Lucid's support page. Will keep you guys posted on my progress.

May not need to uninstall them . Made an update in the first post of this thread .

Just tried to add the game exe to the apps tab of Virtu but it didn't work. In fact, it gave me a completely different error.

I've attached the error message. This error most likely appears because I'm using Virtu in d-mode (monitor plugged into GPU's DVI port) as opposed to i-mode (monitor plugged into mobo's DVI port).

hey .. i installed the witcher 2 enhanced edition 2 days ago. when i try to run the game it asks me to download an update of 10 gb.. is there any reason for the download or anything i can do so i can play the game without it ..

bkooleric said:
hey .. i installed the witcher 2 enhanced edition 2 days ago. when i try to run the game it asks me to download an update of 10 gb.. is there any reason for the download or anything i can do so i can play the game without it ..
The 10 Gb download is an update to the Enhanced Edition for Witcher 2 . Yep you can run the game without it . Just go to your witcher 2 installation folder and open the bin folder , then locate the witcher2exe and right click it and select send to desktop then run the game from the new shortcut and you shouldn`t be bothered with it wanting to update . However it is worth it to do the update in my opinion .

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me (as support haven’t been any use!), I hope this is the right place to post...
Last week I bought the retail copy of The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition, and I have been trying to make it work ever since. When I try to launch the game from the launcher the Wolf head comes up for half a minute then it goes back to the launcher (going straight to the witcher.exe does nothing) – there are no error codes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it 6 times now (both from disk and the gog.com version) and tried everything I can find to do.

I have updated everything (processor, graphics card, framework, Direct X, Visual C++), including uninstalling these, driver sweeping the computer for all remnants of the old drivers, and reinstalling. I have installed it with administrator privileges, reduced the graphics settings and disabled full-screen mode, disabled any antivirus software (I only use Microsoft Security Essentials), changed the location of My Documents, turned off UAC, checked the registry entries that they go to the right place, tried the hotfix, tried all the framework advice, synchronised internet time, patched it, not patched it, installed it with all the default settings, tried the networkclient.dll fix, sacrificed a lamb under a full moon...

I have uninstalled anything I can find that might be the cause of it – Magic ISO, Daemon Tools, any toolbars, spyware or adware or random stuff that I don’t use, and I can’t find any of the other things mentioned in this thread.

I have also performed a clean boot with no services or start ups enabled at all (including trying with and without Microsoft Services too).

I have even downloaded 30gb of extra data (the gog.com version and the EE patch) just in case it will make it work, even though I specifically bought the enhanced edition because I didn’t want to waste my internet usage allocation on this but at this point I am willing to try anything!

I am really disappointed with CD Projekt Red, especially that there seems to be more effort put into this thread by Tommy, an un-paid moderator than their own technical support team who just make excuses about how difficult it is to test PC games! I am shocked that a game could be sold with so many compatibility problems and simply not work on a PC with more than the minimum system requirements, and more than a year after its initial release. (Rant over!)

Below are the details of my system, and attached are a more detailed version as well as everything I have installed (Sorry about the quality, I had to compress them before it would let me attach - let me know if you need better versions).

Thank you in advance for any help, and for the thread as it has given me some new things to try...

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
RAM
4096MB RAM
Graphics Card
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870
Resolution
1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
DirectX Version
DirectX 11

you run witcher2.exe directly right?

mycomputer>manage>eventviewer>application>search for the witcher2 crash> paste here

or

Soluto -> reboot -> soluto starts -> start game, game crash -> soluto -> crashes -> witcher2 -> advanced -> info ....copy info... www.pastebin.com -> new paste -> post link here

was the lamb tasty? :D

Hi,

Thank you very much for your message. I have installed Soluto but Witcher 2 is not coming up as a game crash (I have rebooted since the install and double clicked on the witcher2.exe multiple times) - perhaps because it never properly starts up? Nothing actually happens when I double click on it - the only reason I know it is doing anything is because it gets to about 252,000 k memory on Windows Task Manager Processes and then disappears.

Event Viewer didn't have anything for the crashes today, but it did have something for a couple of days ago (although that might be a different issue if it is not picking up the crash today). This is what it said:

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PCA2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: witcher2.exe
P2: 3.0.20054.8512
P3: The Witcher 2: Assasins of Kings
P4: The Witcher 2
P5:

"changed the location of My Documents" this might pose some problems, why do that?

you have a laptop ( the CPU is a mobile version) ? any programs like Virtu to switch the game from the integrated video card to the discrete one? What laptop model?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. On the Witcher 2 Help Page it says that if "My Documents" is not in its original position (which mine was not; I had changed the default location to my D: drive so all documents and game files are put there), that that could cause problems. So I tried changing it back to its original location and reinstalling the game, but that had no effect.

My laptop is an Alienware M17x R2, it does have two video cards but the second one only loads if I try to turn the computer on whilst it is on battery power. I don't have Virtu installed, but I think there is a way of switching to the other card, although I have never done this. Could there be a factory-installed program that does this that I could uninstall? Any idea what it might be called?

I also have an Alienware M11x, so I tried installing the game on that and it worked fine (and the My Documents there is also on the D: drive) - but it's too small for me to play it on so I want to make it work on the M17! So it must be something on my M17 causing the problem, though not necesarily the Alienware programs.

Thanks again for all your help!

ladyjayito said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. On the Witcher 2 Help Page it says that if "My Documents" is not in its original position (which mine was not; I had changed the default location to my D: drive so all documents and game files are put there), that that could cause problems. So I tried changing it back to its original location and reinstalling the game, but that had no effect.

My laptop is an Alienware M17x R2, it does have two video cards but the second one only loads if I try to turn the computer on whilst it is on battery power. I don't have Virtu installed, but I think there is a way of switching to the other card, although I have never done this. Could there be a factory-installed program that does this that I could uninstall? Any idea what it might be called?

I also have an Alienware M11x, so I tried installing the game on that and it worked fine (and the My Documents there is also on the D: drive) - but it's too small for me to play it on so I want to make it work on the M17! So it must be something on my M17 causing the problem, though not necesarily the Alienware programs.

Thanks again for all your help!

Might try looking in the Alienware Command Center or do a search of your computer for anything similar to Alienwares BinaryGFX technology . The BinaryGFX will allow the switching of the discrete card to the integrated one . Also if you start a game or program and get a message about Binary GFX just click yes and that should let it use the ATI card .

Tommy said:
Might try looking in the Alienware Command Center or do a search of your computer for anything similar to Alienwares BinaryGFX technology . The BinaryGFX will allow the switching of the discrete card to the integrated one . Also if you start a game or program and get a message about Binary GFX just click yes and that should let it use the ATI card .

Hi Tommy,

Thanks so much for your message. So, I went looking for BinaryGFX, only to discover (via the knowledge of the inter-webs) that my version of the M17x, the R2, doesn't actually have more than one graphics card, and that the button on the keyboard that switches them is redunant and doesn't do anything (just as well I never used it!). So I guess I don't have BinaryGFX on the system after all! For a second there a solution seemed so close...

So I have no idea what it is, and can only apologise for pestering you with it again!

Thanks again for your help :)

ladyjayito said:
Hi Tommy,

Thanks so much for your message. So, I went looking for BinaryGFX, only to discover (via the knowledge of the inter-webs) that my version of the M17x, the R2, doesn't actually have more than one graphics card, and that the button on the keyboard that switches them is redunant and doesn't do anything (just as well I never used it!). So I guess I don't have BinaryGFX on the system after all! For a second there a solution seemed so close...

So I have no idea what it is, and can only apologise for pestering you with it again!

Thanks again for your help :)

No need for apologies . Is your system fully updated with all applicable updates from Dell/Alienware as well as windows ? I thought i saw that your sound drivers were from 2009 and there should be an update for it .

Tommy said:
No need for apologies . Is your system fully updated with all applicable updates from Dell/Alienware as well as windows ? I thought i saw that your sound drivers were from 2009 and there should be an update for it .

Hi Tommy,

Thank you, you are a genius! I had already updated my processor and GPU drivers from Intel and AMD and got all the Windows updates, but I hadn't thought of going to Dell/Alienware for everything else (d'oh!). So I dowloaded a whole load of updated drivers from there, and it now works! I am not sure what it was - it wasn't the sound drivers in the end (apparently the 2009 ones are the most up to date) - perhaps it was updating the BIOS or something, but I restarted and it finally works (even on Uber settings), thank you! I had to roll back the Alienware Command Centre driver as it made my AlienFX go wonky, but now everything works perfectly. It only took me two weeks! It just wish I had thought of that earlier...

So thank you everyone for all your help, I am now a very happy gamer :)

Just so everyone knows that the Bing Desktop released by Microsoft on 12/11 as an optional Windows Update feature will also keep Witcher 2 from launching . Symptoms are after clicking launcher , Wolf head appears , Game tries to start by a brief black screen then back to desktop with the Witcher 2 icon the taskbar that you have to close by Ctrl+Alt+Delete .

So yeah...Steam user here...Merry Christmas and Happy New Years. Checked the fix on page 1 but it seems im clean of all those apps but I can't seem to make it work. Same as everyone ran it on steam and it does the initial updates thing and then nothing happens. I open up Task Manager and the launcher is supposedly running but theres nothing on screen. ALSO somehow I managed to bring up the launcher but it gave me the other error message. Thing is I haven't seen anything bout running it in Windows 8 and I wanted to know if there was something else apart from whats stated in page 1. I have supplied App list, specs and the Task Manager for your convenience. I really wish to play this game but up until now my research has brought nothing and I really hope you guys work something out cuz the problem has been there for a long time.

Thanks for everything and forget those who rant cuz they don't know half of all the work you guys do.

Link to the files here

Zerocine said:
So yeah...Steam user here...Merry Christmas and Happy New Years. Checked the fix on page 1 but it seems im clean of all those apps but I can't seem to make it work. Same as everyone ran it on steam and it does the initial updates thing and then nothing happens. I open up Task Manager and the launcher is supposedly running but theres nothing on screen. ALSO somehow I managed to bring up the launcher but it gave me the other error message. Thing is I haven't seen anything bout running it in Windows 8 and I wanted to know if there was something else apart from whats stated in page 1. I have supplied App list, specs and the Task Manager for your convenience. I really wish to play this game but up until now my research has brought nothing and I really hope you guys work something out cuz the problem has been there for a long time.

Thanks for everything and forget those who rant cuz they don't know half of all the work you guys do.

Link to the files here
Could be you don`t have the necessary registry entries. Follow the link and look at #22 then scroll down and download then run the registry fix. be sire and point it to your witcher 2 installation.

I found another program to add to the list. It's called Zoomex. I don't recall installing it, but after trial and error with the 142 message, it turned out this was my problem.

Top Bottom