Fixes for 2.1 and TW2EE Issues and 142 error or W2 stopped working Update 12/19/2014

+
The Link to the Rebuild Patch is not working / down , could u pls reupload that Rebuild patch or could someone provide a link to this since i really wanna continue playing this but iam plagued with the CTD Problems too ...

Not just for steam users.
I m not, had the same problems but went back to 2.0 with windows recovery point.
Then everything worked quite fine...
Just you know Guys )

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but just in case anybody is wondering if this problem still exists: Hoo, boy, does it ever.

I downloaded the Enhanced Edition that was released together with the RedKit (so what's that, now ... version 3.5, I believe?) and played through the whole thing using my dual Radeon HD 6970 in Crossfire setup. Of course, the problem with Radeon cards in Crossfire has ALSO never been fixed ... but that's a different issue.

Anyway, I bought myself an NVIDIA GTX 680 card, and since The Witcher 2 is one of my favourite games and also graphically quite demanding (if you configure it to be), I thought I'd use it to benchmark the difference. Well, ever since the switch from the AMD card to the NVIDIA one, there is just no getting past the 0xc0000142 error.

No, I don't have any funky toolbars. Yes, I even tried with the msconfig "clean boot" (removing everything but Microsoft services). Yes, I've utterly and completely uninstalled the dot NET framework, run the cleaner, and reinstalled it.

No go.

CD Projekt RED, man, I gotta tell you: I absolutely LOVE your games, but you have one hell of a long way to go when it comes to cleaning up your releases. I'm in love with just about every aspect of your business, I can't wait to buy the Witcher 3 as well as Cyberpunk 2077, but I just already have that yucky feeling that if something should fail to work, it'll be on me to fix it (i.e. "try different hardware") because your efforts in that particular department are sorely and terrifyingly lacking.

TightByte said:
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but just in case anybody is wondering if this problem still exists: Hoo, boy, does it ever.

I downloaded the Enhanced Edition that was released together with the RedKit (so what's that, now ... version 3.5, I believe?) and played through the whole thing using my dual Radeon HD 6970 in Crossfire setup. Of course, the problem with Radeon cards in Crossfire has ALSO never been fixed ... but that's a different issue.

Anyway, I bought myself an NVIDIA GTX 680 card, and since The Witcher 2 is one of my favourite games and also graphically quite demanding (if you configure it to be), I thought I'd use it to benchmark the difference. Well, ever since the switch from the AMD card to the NVIDIA one, there is just no getting past the 0xc0000142 error.

No, I don't have any funky toolbars. Yes, I even tried with the msconfig "clean boot" (removing everything but Microsoft services). Yes, I've utterly and completely uninstalled the dot NET framework, run the cleaner, and reinstalled it.

No go.

CD Projekt RED, man, I gotta tell you: I absolutely LOVE your games, but you have one hell of a long way to go when it comes to cleaning up your releases. I'm in love with just about every aspect of your business, I can't wait to buy the Witcher 3 as well as Cyberpunk 2077, but I just already have that yucky feeling that if something should fail to work, it'll be on me to fix it (i.e. "try different hardware") because your efforts in that particular department are sorely and terrifyingly lacking.

Did you wipe all traces of the AMD drivers from your system . If nthing else you can take some screenshots of your installed programs and email them to me . So far though most programs that i`ve found that cause the error had to do with third party programs

UPDATE: I have fixed my problem. The solution makes no sense, but here it is anyway:

TL;DR I uninstalled the NVIDIA 3D Vision drivers.

Longer version: I started uninstalling things, one by one, even removing things that have never been a problem before (WinRAR, Steam, VLC Player, etc) until there frankly wasn't much left. I then got the idea to try an older version of the NVIDIA driver, just to change it up a bit. By then I was impatient, so I installed _only_ the core driver (rather than the entire bundle, including a couple of 3D Vision drivers, PhysX, and some type of GeForce Experience thing which I believe is the NVIDIA version of the AMD application profiles, or something). Boom, success. Intrigued, I uninstalled and then reinstalled the latest version -- but wait. Success, again, which shouldn't have been possible.

I've googled my head off but I can't find indication that NVIDIA 3D Vision can set off the 0x0c0000142 error; rather, I find people hailing The Witcher 2 as being one of the more beautiful games when played using a 3D Vision setup. In my, case, merely having the 3D Vision drive installed set off the (in)famous error which led me down a long and twisted path of dotNET troubleshooting without luck.

Disclaimer; The above worked for me, and I'm not touching anything until I'm finished with another playthrough; your mileage may vary. If you're a GeForce owner and you can't seem to get rid of the application error at start by any other means, try uninstalling the 3D Vision drivers and give it a spin. Stranger things have happened (though mostly at sea.)

And Tommy: Thanks for the offer to help. In fact, your offer inspired me to work even harder before confessing I couldn't figure it out myself and making a "Okay, I give up, what's wrong?" post with screenshots attached. I just wish the solution I *did* run into proved more ... logical, or something. :p

Thank you for your work. For me it has not been the 3D Vision Driver but the Virtual Audio Driver.
I don't know what Nvidia is doing with their driver updates but for my card (450 GTS) all updates cause crashes since they add 3D Vision and GForce Experience.

If you get 0xc0000142 error after installing the latest GeForce BETA drivers (326.41) please return to the latest WHQL drivers (320.49).

Ponggoh said:
Hi all,

I got the retail version. I also have the 142 error after updated to 2.1 and rename the acaptuser32.dll does the trick. Will this going to happen forever? Rename and name it back to original?

I am also quite dissappointed with the multi-screen gaming for TW2 in 3 screens. They haven't solved the problem with top and bottom black borders. It doesn't give full screen for resolutions such as 3840 x 1024. Anyways this is another story.

Updates:
I was fed-up having to do the rename and I stop playing for a while hoping CDProjectRed will solve all these bugs in 2012 and I just came in 2013 to see if these could be solved, there were updates till 3.4 surprisingly I thought ok, hope that would solve these nonsense, after update to 3.4 lo and behold the 142 code still up. I am really disappointed with CDProjectRed, why and why all other games out there don't have this tons of problems/issues??? I tried rename the Acaptuser32.dll and this time it didn't work. Why oh, why? This problem is even worst than just renaming the Acaptuser32.dll. Now I have to solve the issue on Net Framework 4 if this is the problem, http://en.thewitcher.com/dotnet/ - I am just at the point of giving up.

I just installed W2 and before it started to download patches i tried to lunch it. Same issue with Application wasn't lunched properly code (0xc0000142) I don't have 3rd party applications and I have already played on this pc in W2. I didn't have problems before. It was about year and a half before. Any ideas? Graphic drivers? Patches? or what?

2019 and still getting the 0xc0000142 error (patch 3.4). None of the solutions in these forums nor through googling worked for me. I decided to run sysinternals process monitor to see if I could determine where the application was blowing up. I noticed towards the end of the application error, there were multiple reads to C:\Windows\Jaksta\AC\x86\jaudcap.dll. Decided to try the file rename that worked for others, so I renamed jaudcap.dll to jaudcap_.dll and now the game actually launches. I believe this file was initially created by Replay Media Catcher.

Top Bottom