Fixing the fixers.

+
This is what I propose they change to the fixer system. Each fixer should have their own minimum street cred level before you will even contact, and when they do you have to travel to a location to meet them face to face, and if the conversations goes well, they will send you a gig dossier, which have the location, the job, and the reward. You should be able to accept or reject the gig, but if you refuse this 1st test gig they give you they will no longer send you gigs. You should be able to fast travel to the gig location from the dossier screen.

Once you complete the gig (according to the dossier's requirements, for example if the gig is stealth and you went in guns blazing, it could be considered a failure and you get a failure and lose rating with the fixer), you get paid and you gain both street cred and personal cred with the fixer. Who will also have future gigs and he wont send you until your street cred and personal cred with him reaches a certain level.
Fixers will occasionally send you text telling you they have a gig, then you have to call them to ask about it and have a conversation about the gig. You can choose to turn down gigs too. Many of the gigs should have world consequences, for example one gig might require you to acquire a weapons shipment for the Maelstorm gang, if you complete it then that gang will have upgraded weapons to use even against you in future missions, etc. Giving you reasons to turn down certain gigs because the real world consequences is worse for you than the gig's reward.

Dexter should be the third fixer you meet this way, and after you complete a test mission he offers you the steal relic mission. (You can reject the mission but Jackie will accept it behind your back even if you do)

Rogue should be the highest level fixer in the game, and should have gigs for you beyond just story related missions.

The top fixers should all have an ultimate mission that is only available if you reach top street cred and win full trust with them(complete all gigs for them successfully). Something that will affect the world in a major way, and many should be mutually exclusive, such as help Arasaka to do something against Militech and vice versa, help 6th street against win territory against the Valentino's or vice versa, help the Police against the Tigerclaws or vice versa, etc, which adds to replayability in the future.

Last edited:
This is awesome but seems unlikely. I imagine there were a lot of mechanics in the works at some point to make the gameworld more functional like this but that got chopped down to scripted story sequences only.

I like the idea, originally street cred was supposed to be a kind of faction related stat that could increase by wearing specific gear.

To further expand on your idea, they should split the street cred into districts within night city. So in order to get the attention of a fixer in northside, you have to prove yourself on the streets first by wearing the right gear or fighting the right random events, then it opens up more shops and npcs/quests in that district as you play. Makes the game somewhat "gated" but I felt the sudden phone call when driving into a new area was too forced.

Your idea is a good way to gate things. But I'd expand on this. ALL fixers have to have a introduction mission done with V. None of this call me over the phone and we start crap. You call, I meet you. I decided if I want to work with you. The choice to cut missions off is mine. Or we get a full mission with the character. So I can care about them. Instead of insert generic BS plot device character. Know how we do Dex's missions. We meet him. Every fixer must have this. Of course done in many different ways. Rescues, murders, sabotage etc. Also, I'd make all gangs have fixers. To fix that problem the game did to them.

Gating = pay wall. I can smell the monetization scam from here. The basic idea is good, but I don't trust CDPR to not mess it up.

It's clear certain fixers belong to gang factions. There should be some reputation system when you're just wasting there gang members constantly. Right now, they act as if it doesn't concern them. They should stop giving you jobs. Even call you up for some evil banter. Honestly, they should be full fledged factions you could empower or take down.

Not exactly about fixers, but still talking about factions/street cred.

Outfits should garner better/worse reactions to factions. If I am wearing a gang related clothing set, like the malestrom gear, then a rival gear or the police should treat me different.

There are a few scenarios in the game where I was able to use my life path (corpo) as a dialog choice and pretend I was working for a corpo boss to coerce my way past a checkpoint. If I wasn't wearing proper clothing, the dialog choice should have failed. That was a scenario I felt they should have encouraged players to wear a suit or something to "fit the role".

I am pretty sure they had a system similar to how we are describing, but obviously that got scrapped for simplicity and/or time. Would be nice to have it back though.

And another thing, if your mission against a gang was successfully done stealthily, you do not lose reputation with that gang because they don't know it was you. If you went in guns blazing, they will start to hate you, if you use non-lethal methods and spare their lives, their antagonism will not increase by nearly as much. Thus giving a benefit to using non-lethal methods.

This is what I propose they change to the fixer system. Each fixer should have their own minimum street cred level before you will even contact, and when they do you have to travel to a location to meet them face to face, and if the conversations goes well, they will send you a gig dossier, which have the location, the job, and the reward. You should be able to accept or reject the gig, but if you refuse this 1st test gig they give you they will no longer send you gigs. You should be able to fast travel to the gig location from the dossier screen.

Once you complete the gig (according to the dossier's requirements, for example if the gig is stealth and you went in guns blazing, it could be considered a failure and you get a failure and lose rating with the fixer), you get paid and you gain both street cred and personal cred with the fixer. Who will also have future gigs and he wont send you until your street cred and personal cred with him reaches a certain level.
Fixers will occasionally send you text telling you they have a gig, then you have to call them to ask about it and have a conversation about the gig. You can choose to turn down gigs too. Many of the gigs should have world consequences, for example one gig might require you to acquire a weapons shipment for the Maelstorm gang, if you complete it then that gang will have upgraded weapons to use even against you in future missions, etc. Giving you reasons to turn down certain gigs because the real world consequences is worse for you than the gig's reward.

Dexter should be the third fixer you meet this way, and after you complete a test mission he offers you the steal relic mission. (You can reject the mission but Jackie will accept it behind your back even if you do)

Rogue should be the highest level fixer in the game, and should have gigs for you beyond just story related missions.

The top fixers should all have an ultimate mission that is only available if you reach top street cred and win full trust with them(complete all gigs for them successfully). Something that will affect the world in a major way, and many should be mutually exclusive, such as help Arasaka to do something against Militech and vice versa, help 6th street against win territory against the Valentino's or vice versa, help the Police against the Tigerclaws or vice versa, etc, which adds to replayability in the future.

There's some good ideas in there though I don't agree with all of them.

The gig system although feels kinda barebones at times, actually works. Keep in mind that the game is already set for 2 months of fixes from here on out to get it to run.

But let's say they do take a pass at it, the only thing I'd add to what you say is make the game follow its own rules. Mercs are suppose to go to places like Afterlife to pick up jobs. Maybe some of the other bars like Lizzies, these places are talked about as the centers of this kind of world, yet they're just empty set pieces for 1 or 2 conversations. Why are we all carrying phones with touch screens from 2020 anyway? (You see NPCs using them)This is almost 60 years in the future, from a setting written in the 80s and 90s and we're all covered with tech.

The game should make you go out there and find the work. Hang out at Afterlife, make deals and negotiate. If I wanted to play this game from a smart phone they should have released it as a mobile app.

The auto calling even if gated by street cred makes it all feel cheap.

Last edited:
Oddly some of this is already there.

Rogue won't work with you until you have HUGE street cred.

And many other quests don't appear on the map until you have 30+ Street Cred.

Before they even contact you they should have already had a quest to meet you.

Maybe even do a quest for them to unlock them as a fixer.

It is so bizarre that people I barely know suddenly get my phone number and start harrassing me every time I move 3 feet in the city.

Before they even contact you they should have already had a quest to meet you.

Maybe even do a quest for them to unlock them as a fixer.

It is so bizarre that people I barely know suddenly get my phone number and start harrassing me every time I move 3 feet in the city.

Its rep, man!

You made it!

There's some good ideas in there though I don't agree with all of them.

The gig system although feels kinda barebones at times, actually works. Keep in mind that the game is already set for 2 months of fixes from here on out to get it to run.

But let's say they do take a pass at it, the only thing I'd add to what you say is make the game follow its own rules. Mercs are suppose to go to places like Afterlife to pick up jobs. Maybe some of the other bars like Lizzies, these places are talked about as the centers of this kind of world, yet they're just empty set pieces for 1 or 2 conversations. Why are we all carrying phones with touch screens from 2020 anyway? (You see NPCs using them)This is almost 60 years in the future, from a setting written in the 80s and 90s and we're all covered with tech.

The game should make you go out there and find the work. Hang out at Afterlife, make deals and negotiate. If I wanted to play this game from a smart phone they should have released it as a mobile app.

The auto calling even if gated by street cred makes it all feel cheap.
Honestly my first thought after I went into the first bar. Why are there so many ancient smartphones around when everyone can get your number of your implanted and not public advertised number? Anybody you never met, but not corps who actually build phones and anything from a radio tower up to highly classified tech?

I also would like to see some networking. Like a runner sees you return some goodies, asks you for a small favor, then a bigger favor then an actual gig and after a while you can have the first pick of the litter. I mean, you don't work on an exclusive contract for one fixer, so why should you be everyones darling and goofer without any personal preferences?
Post automatically merged:

Its rep, man!

You made it!
Mission: Return the book.
Result: Book returned.
Additional outcome:
Took out 78 enemy combatants and non combatatns by randomly shooting, then set the libary on fire.
your rep: pyromaniac serial killer with a touch of goody two shoes.

salesman: Why should you get a discount?
V: well do you know what happend at the libary?
salesman: yeah well, we all saw the fire and the body bags - but you will burn down my shop regardless - so no discount.
edit:
and before you do your thing - be sure to spell LIBRARY right. Thank you and happy killing!

Last edited:
Honestly my first thought after I went into the first bar. Why are there so many ancient smartphones around when everyone can get your number of your implanted and not public advertised number? Anybody you never met, but not corps who actually build phones and anything from a radio tower up to highly classified tech?

I also would like to see some networking. Like a runner sees you return some goodies, asks you for a small favor, then a bigger favor then an actual gig and after a while you can have the first pick of the litter. I mean, you don't work on an exclusive contract for one fixer, so why should you be everyones darling and goofer without any personal preferences?
Post automatically merged:

Mission: Return the book.
Result: Book returned.
Additional outcome:
Took out 78 enemy combatants and non combatatns by randomly shooting, then set the libary on fire.
your rep: pyromaniac serial killer with a touch of goody two shoes.

salesman: Why should you get a discount?
V: well do you know what happend at the libary?
salesman: yeah well, we all saw the fire and the body bags - but you will burn down my shop regardless - so no discount.
*library

I usually get to street cred 40-50 before the first visit, and that was probably the reason why nearly every fixer in town suddenly decided to call me after the heist? Like all calling at once? Without me ever meeting with anyone or doing anything like exchanging my number? But the one who wouldn't work with me at first was still Rogue, because I haven't done some other essentional gig. Yeah for Rogue it's more then just streed cred. Thankfully.

Still the street cred could see a lot of improvement so that it actually seems to matter more then just a few more items in store. "Hugh street cred" seems to be measured by spending like eight hours in the game doing assaults and gigs in Watson. Shoudn't it matter more if you do more jobs for them with all additional tasks in a way that the people around the fixer mostly approve of? Or maybe even two fixers after a similar goal, one to snatch something the other hellbent to not let that happen? You decide which one to follow through and maybe, and with anough coolness or intelligence even have the option to play both fixers? And that might net you both rewards and maybe none is angry with you? Or maybe you overplayed and now both decide to make you an example?

I usually get to street cred 40-50 before the first visit, and that was probably the reason why nearly every fixer in town suddenly decided to call me after the heist? Like all calling at once? Without me ever meeting with anyone or doing anything like exchanging my number? But the one who wouldn't work with me at first was still Rogue, because I haven't done some other essentional gig. Yeah for Rogue it's more then just streed cred. Thankfully.

Still the street cred could see a lot of improvement so that it actually seems to matter more then just a few more items in store. "Hugh street cred" seems to be measured by spending like eight hours in the game doing assaults and gigs in Watson. Shoudn't it matter more if you do more jobs for them with all additional tasks in a way that the people around the fixer mostly approve of? Or maybe even two fixers after a similar goal, one to snatch something the other hellbent to not let that happen? You decide which one to follow through and maybe, and with anough coolness or intelligence even have the option to play both fixers? And that might net you both rewards and maybe none is angry with you? Or maybe you overplayed and now both decide to make you an example?
Exactly. One GIG is to say protecting a shipment convoy and make sure it delivers the goods to a certain faction, and the other GIG is to attack that same convoy and rob it for another faction or you can make you own deal and rob it for yourself and sell the content through another Fixer and split the profit, and frame another faction for it.

Exactly. One GIG is to say protecting a shipment convoy and make sure it delivers the goods to a certain faction, and the other GIG is to attack that same convoy and rob it for another faction or you can make you own deal and rob it for yourself and sell the content through another Fixer and split the profit, and frame another faction for it.

Yeah. It all needs to be tied together a bit tighter. I think you're really hitting the nail on the head. And not every single job needs to be a tangled web, but we should see interests at play, and be able to carve our place in there.

The fixers, your jobs, the gang relationships and your street cred. Thats what we were all expecting I think.

The gigs are fine, but they don't seem to matter, and the gangs are fine, but kill them or don't kill them, it doesn't matter, and your street cred, well you can get mantis arms, but why?

How much more alive would it seem if we had reactive gangs and could involve ourselves in their plots.

I had level 50 street cred before experience level 20 just doing random gigs and some street sweeping. I get bombarded by offers from fixers, oftentimes while busy with other stuff. The usual chaotic smorgasbord of missions ensues. That kind of gating really doesn't achieve much at all.

For the most part I agree with your suggestions; excepting:

Meeting face to face---given different personalities, characters, and life experiences------more likely "some" would wish a face to face (70+% of all human communication is non verbal e.g. body language, voice tone and volume, micro expressions, behavioral "tells" etc) allowing each of you to form a secondary (beyond street rep) assessment of each other, and "some" would not. Might be they're reclusive, paranoid, or just unavailable in person. Some would likely delegate assignments/contracts to subordinates. A variety of meetings types, negotiations, and information/materials transmissions would have been more realistic and immersive. CDPR should have thrown in a couple three gigs where the client (when it's not the Fixer themselves) contacts you and orders/suggests/snivels to you to do stuff outside of the contract and Fixer's knowledge; along with options on how you handled such a situation. Another nice wrinkle; would have been some instances of the fixer burning you on a well executed contract; along with options on how you'd handle that.

Hard fails----no way! (Almost) nothing goes according to plan. Stealth; fine, no kill op; fine , kill'em all op; fine. Each should have full, partial, and no completion potentials. Subject to a range of realistic results. Unhappy client/Fixer, ****ed off client/Fixer, vengeful client/Fixer. Arguing back and forth, client/fixer refusing to pay, or only paying partially, overt or veiled threats by you and/or the Fixer of "consequences". Ultimately, the "need" by the player or Fixer to deliver on those consequences if the rancor and reputational damage was perceived to be high enough to warrant a "strike back".

You're absolutely right on "world consequences". As many of these gigs involve doing harm in one way or another to different gangs; the player should have to factor in their relationship, or hoped for relationship with the target gang. If we're hoping to get something from them, form an alliance (temporary or otherwise), etc, etc with the target gang do we really want to take this gig? If we don't, how does it affect our relationship with the contracting Fixer. If we do; how's our down stream relations with the targeted gang; so on and so forth. Would've been much more real world and immersive as opposed to the repeatative cookie cutter gigs we've got.

Top Bottom