Flexible Provision Limit

+

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
The provision system has great potential, but as it stands now, that potential has yet to be reached. One of the things that's missing is a flexible provision limit. The idea is that the provision limit can change based on a number of factors, for example:
- Deck size
- Leader
- Singleton (Shupe's deck)
- Number of copies

Deck Size
The most important reason for implementing a flexible provision limit is the deck size. At the moment, no one is going to go over the minimum of 25 cards, which is a shame. Adding a card above the limit should increase the provisioning by 6. This number needs to be tweaked, maybe even making it relative to the total number of cards in the deck. Sure, many player will still not actually go over the limit, but at least it allows for some more variation in (casual) decks.

Leader
When the mulligans are no longer tied to the leader, the provision costs can offset their power.

Singleton (Shupe's deck)
The idea behind this is that when you have no duplicate copies, your provision limit is increased by 5, as a bonus.

Number of Copies
The 3rd bronze copy is gone, but I suggest to reintroduce it, but with a penalty. Every copy above two will have the provision limit decreased by 1 cumulative. For example, the 3rd copy will decrease the provisioning by 1 and the 4th copy by 2 and so on.

I thought about that too a while ago. More flexibility would also be relevant for cards that resurrect other cards. If you can‘t resurrect anything higher than let’s say a card with 9 provision cost it makes no sense if the resurrect card is a lot more expensive.

Do this and I switch to NG Witcher Control Shupe.dek at 26 cards to get an additional 11 provisions without really hurting consistency or power plays. And it would very likely do extremely well since Witchers don't really do duplicates besides Viper Witcher anyhow.

Breli

Forum regular
I like the idea but I think that is virtually impossible to balance that properly right now. However, once the other upcoming changes are implemented (mulligans, leader provisions, handlimit) and we have some experience how they affect gameplay flexible provision limits could bring in some spice :)

The suggestion is simple.
For every card above the 25 card minimum one should get 4 additional provisions.
With this change one would still have the 50+lp (lp=leader provisions) provisions above the minimum of a full 4p card deck.
This is actually very simple, currently one builds a 25 card deck of 4 provision cards and can spend 50+lp provisions to upgrade those cards (in the case of lp=15 one has 65 additional provisions, which is about the average.
My suggest would involve increasing the size of the deck of 4 provision cards, while keeping the additional provisions the same and thus reducing the density of additional provisions with each additional card (e.g. one has to downgrade an 8 provision card to a 4p card, just to add a 26th 4p card).
Currently one gets punished twice for going of the 25 card limit, reducing the provision density AND losing the additional upgrade provisions, which has (from my point of view) been an odd case since the start of homecoming.
I have been thinking about the possibility of such a change for over a year now, however with the over 29 card NG deck Redrame played and the new Erland of Larvik I have been reminded of that idea.
All in all I would not expect a surge of decks with additional cards (given the loss of consistency and reduced provision/Gold density), even after the change, however it would be possible to build such decks in a (remotely) competitive way.

Edit: Thanks for the movement, I was unaware that there was already a threat on this topic.

Last edited:
The provision system has great potential, but as it stands now, that potential has yet to be reached. One of the things that's missing is a flexible provision limit. The idea is that the provision limit can change based on a number of factors, for example:
- Deck size
- Leader
- Number of copies

Deck Size
The most important reason for implementing a flexible provision limit is the deck size. At the moment, no one is going to go over the minimum of 25 cards, which is a shame. Adding a card above the limit should increase the provisioning by 6. This number needs to be tweaked, maybe even making it relative to the total number of cards in the deck. Sure, many player will still not actually go over the limit, but at least it allows for some more variation in (casual) decks.

Leader
When the mulligans are no longer tied to the leader, the provision costs can offset their power.

Singleton (Shupe's deck)
The idea behind this is that when you have no duplicate copies, your provision limit is increased by 5, as a bonus.

Number of Copies
The 3rd bronze copy is gone, but I suggest to reintroduce it, but with a penalty. Every copy above two will have the provision limit decreased by 1 cumulative. For example, the 3rd copy will decrease the provisioning by 1 and the 4th copy by 2 and so on.

Nice ideas. I think that it´s important to limit the number of copies to 2. Also like the idea of having a flexible provisions dependent on deck size and being singleton (Shupe and Radeyah are no incentive enough). Additionally, I idenified a lot of 4 provisions garabage (e.g. Wolf Pack; Peasant Militia; Oxenfurt Scholar) and would appreciate if those cards simply only cost 3 or even 2 provisions. So you can fill your deck with garbage to afford powerful cards.

[...]
Additionally, I idenified a lot of 4 provisions garabage (e.g. Wolf Pack; Peasant Militia; Oxenfurt Scholar) and would appreciate if those cards simply only cost 3 or even 2 provisions. So you can fill your deck with garbage to afford powerful cards.
Actually that would make those cards playable.
That being said I do not think this to be a very good idea, considering that 3 or 2 provision cards would be auto-included to be able to use more high provision cards, which would then in turn polarize decks and recreate the issue we had in the early stages of homecoming.

- Deck size
- Leader
- Number of copies

Deck Size

Leader

Singleton (Shupe's deck)

Number of Copies
The deck size and the singleton variants are solid changes, I like them.
Opening up a 3rd copy of bronzes would result in a massive sh*tstorm of balancing drama, enabling a great amount of Draft mode style combos and plays (3 card thinning packages would be a must for example).

Actually that would make those cards playable.
That being said I do not think this to be a very good idea, considering that 3 or 2 provision cards would be auto-included to be able to use more high provision cards, which would then in turn polarize decks and recreate the issue we had in the early stages of homecoming.

Ok, and when you go for a singleton deck, bigger deck flexible,... provision limit you have the same issue, don´t you?
Maybe you can limit the number of three provision cards being allowed in a deck, but I think that´s also a reasonable approach to have more flexible provision limit.

Top Bottom