Flickering Billboards and Ads

+
I have a problem that has been happening for many months now. It seems to have started with patch 1.2 but it's continued even through patch 1.3 and beyond. The ads and billboards in the game seem to flicker very very badly when moving the camera. This isn't normal flickering that's just a part of the game, it feels very much like a graphical problem. When not moving the camera it's all fine, but when you start looking around or driving through Night City the billboards flicker constantly. It's EXTREMELY immersion breaking and to be honest it's completely ruining the experience for me.

I have been testing it to make sure I understand it as well as I can, and from what I can tell it's not really a "flicker" per se, it's actually the advertisements themselves changing from one to another rapidly. One sign can have a NiCola ad and then suddenly change to the open wide ad with the snake between the legs. And what seems to be happening is on camera movement they keep swapping to new ads really fast. They swap faster the faster you move your camera.

So yes, this is definitely not a design choice. This is a graphical error. I really hope something gets done about this.. I've waited a very long time to be able to play this game completely and being immersed properly, but this one issue is the biggest deal for me. It kills the game completely for me. I can try to record a video if you need evidence but frankly there are videos on YouTube already so I know I am not the only one with this problem.

Thanks.

Yep I already "read" that on the forum, but I don't remember if it was fixed or not (or at least, if there is a solution).
Anyway, if it's not already done, you can try these few steps provide by the Support and if it still appear (and if you don't use mods), you can report it to CDPR > "Contact Us" (with a DXDiag). If there is a solution, they probably know it ;)

I really hope they know it.. That's the biggest fear I have haha. I don't use mods, but I will give these things a try and if it still happens I'll report it with a DXDiag. Thanks.

Also can confirm, it's still happening. Really badly... It seems to get worse the longer you play. I just played for an hour and at first it wasn;t happening at all, but then I got out of the car I was driving around in and suddenly it started, then it just persisted. I can't play like this.. it's mental.

I've been getting this for several patches now, started with 1.2 I think? I also get parts of what looks like sections of ads/billboards appearing in the small screens on Access Points.

As with a bunch of my recent bugs, support reckons I just need to delete/reinstall which doesn't solve it. Just have to hope 1.5 fixes a lot of this stuff.

Yeah I've tried reinstalling the game completely, clean installing my drivers, changing graphics settings, all sorts. Nothing seems to work. It's just frustrating because once it starts happening it really gets bad. And it's so annoying because this game is incredible to look at.... especially while driving.

I have a new issue I just discovered today though, audio problems. Random npc characters become mute if I turn 180 degrees away from them lol. V sounds really loud while other characters, including Johnny, sound muted.

Frustrating!

This sounds like an error in the game's script. Please, report this to CDPR Tech Support if you haven't:

Please, ensure you have selected the correct platform, and follow the appropriate FAQ section to the end. You can use the "Contact Us" link to send in a ticket.

Be sure to include your system (including specs if on PC), a brief description of the issue, and the steps taken to reproduce it (if applicable).

Same here. Flickering ads, black ads. Textures on wrong objects. Very random, hard to predict.

Then there is the one where all traffic signs have ads on them in distance, turn black as i approach, then show the actual street name / direction. But that seems so consistent it's probably a deliberate measure to save resources and make the city look more "alive".

No idea what causes this. Probably not enough VRAM on my 6Gb card.

Last edited:
Quite literally, I think this is probably a matter of one of the devs putting a decimal point in the wrong place value.

(I may be totally wrong, but I've seen some vids of it, and it looks like it's just a timer setting that's executing way to quickly.)

I have sent a support ticket and told them, along with a DXDiag.txt file. The steps to reproduce it are quite literally to just keep playing. After 5-30 minutes it'll start happening. Sometimes even straight away.
Post automatically merged:

Same here. Flickering ads, black ads. Textures on wrong objects. Very random, hard to predict.

Then there is the one where all traffic signs have ads on them in distance, turn black as i approach, then show the actual street name / direction. But that seems so consistent it's probably a deliberate measure to save resources and make the city look more "alive".

No idea what causes this. Probably not enough VRAM on my 6Gb card.
It's definitely not your VRAM. I'm using an RTX 2080 ti which has twice the memory your card has.

Last edited:
I also have this bug last time i was playing on 1.22 patch in april if i am correct and it was fine i updated my game to 1.31 yesterday and notice flickering billboards, ads etc i decided to check most recent videos from CP2077 on Youtube and i can see this flickering also on videos so it looks like problem with game. CP2077 works and looks worse after every big update lol 1.1 lowered lighting distance, 1.2 lowered NPC on streets, caused sometimes problem with loading assets and caused bug in EX-Factor quest that i reported and now 1.3 caused this bug with billboards and ads so far best version of the game for me was 1.06. This looks like CDPR is "optimizing" CP by downgrading it i remember Witcher 3 also got this treatment but far less that CP2077 i dont mind NPC on streets because they are still many of them(though most of them are clones from Republic army) but lighting distance, pop in and billboards bug are annoying and very distracting.
Edit: I also notice when i keep turning around billboards and ads are loading and unloading pretty fast. If you staring at billboard or ads its ok but if you keep moving it starts flicker and if you dont looks at them for a bit you will notice for a moment that when they enter camera angle they are loading/turning on. btw even part of HUD sometimes flicker(that outline of current level and cyberdeck points below HP bar) but its alot less noticable and happens much less often than billboard flickers.

Last edited:
Again, please report this to CDPR Support.

Please, be sure you are selecting the correct platform for your game: PC, Xbox, Playstation, Switch, etc.

For PC users, please include your complete specs. Example:

i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz
16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM
eVGA GTX 980 ti, 6 GB VRAM
Samsung EVO 970 SSD, 512 TB
Samsung EVO 970 SSD, 1 TB
Windows 10, v. 20H2

Is anyone not seeing this, or are they able to make it work differently/correctly if using a frame-limit / running with Vsync ON (...as opposed to OFF or Adaptive Sync)?

Last edited:
Top Bottom