Flying Wild Hog remaking 'Shadow Warrior'.

+
gregski said:
Rebelka definitely nailed the artstyle of flashbacks. Guy is really talented.

Oh wow, I didn't know it was him. He adopted a completely different art style for this game. Impressive. I hope he sticks around for future games with CDPR and FWH.

The horde fight on the last level, the one in the courtyard....is fucking brutal. I cannot beat this thing on hard mode. You fire off a rocket and one of those pecker head skeletons pops in front of you. BOOM! Dead. And it's like 4 waves long. Everything but the kitchen sink is coming your way.

slimgrin said:
The horde fight on the last level, the one in the courtyard....is fucking brutal. I cannot beat this thing on hard mode. You fire off a rocket and one of those pecker head skeletons pops in front you. BOOM! Dead. And it's like 4 waves long. Everything but the kitchen sink is coming your way.

Indeed. Those fuckers fill half of the map on that last stage. This guy somehow managed it on Insane:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sy2eTvL7Z0[/media]

That manticore is all the rage.
I sense an Extended Cut or Enhanced Edition coming for this game. Or whatever they decide to call it. I think they'll close Zilla and those twins assassins stories.

I managed that fight on Hard after I died like a Zillion times. I admit that I like such moments in games like SW, they're brutal and over the top, but fit so well.

The Katana's fucking unbelievably fun to play with, can I get away with just upgrading this or will I need an upgraded ranged weapon for flying opponents?

Bloth said:
The Katana's fucking unbelievably fun to play with, can I get away with just upgrading this or will I need an upgraded ranged weapon for flying opponents?

I wouldn't recommend it. I assumed one could focus on either gun or melee in my first run. I think the idea is to use melee when you can, and supplement that with ranged and AOE attacks. I also found it more fun when I was getting creative with my attacks and getting those big bonus multipliers, which helps you upgrade faster. There's also a loose combo system with the Katana but you have to be pretty dexterous with the key inputs.This run I upgraded the flame thrower to get napalm...glorious. I love the particle effects in this game.

Beat it on hard. Funny thing, I wasn't save scumming on that last fight because Hard Reset doesn't let you do that. I was conditioned, lol. Finally, I saved mid fight and got through it in a few tries. On to Insane mode, but I'll only play the first level for now, GoG is behind in patching the game.

Slimgrin put it very well, plus I think it would be hard to fight bosses with katana only. But it was definitely my favourite and primary weapon, I used ranged weapons mostly for flying enemies and a bit of crowd control by shooting the environmental traps like electricity boxes or exploding barrels, you get some extra points for that.

Of course that doesn't mean I was reluctant to charge into the crowd with my katana charged up, no, quite the opposite :)

Bloth said:

Bosses and some mini-bosses you can't beat with Katana only, they hit way too hard.
I also highly recommend you to use the weapons in fights and not just Katana, I believe you get points for style and speed.
Protection helps quite a bit If you can't help yourself though. You can get close to most mini-bosses, on normal anyway.

SPOILER ABOUT END GAME AHEAD:

Did anyone noticed the fully upgraded Nobitsura Kage steals the Health of enemies in the final level? I got close to Xing and mashed the mouse button. Guy couldn't do a thing! He hits, I mash, and I'm back to full Health.

^I didn't know that, ha. So I couldn't stay away. Insane run is going quite well. Fully upgraded pistol is surprisingly powerful and gratifying. I'm focusing on Flux this time, which I'm not sure about. What kind of final scores did you guys get? For my hard run: 7574. I'm already over 3000 at chapter six, so I should smash that score. Still not very good though.

I didn't play on Insane just yet, but on Normal difficulty... The best I've got? Mhm, I think around 350. I don't know how it's possible to get 500/500. Puzzled me since Hard Reset. I guess you need to be really fast? I don't know.

Alright, favorite Lo Wang quotes. Put them out there.

"This should help me get my point across. Alright, that was terrible. Fuck your mother." - Lo Wang shooting the Crossbow.
"Huh, pretty decent digs... I'd give it 7 on the Wang-o-Meter."
"Demon go boom!"
"Killing is easy. Giving a shit is hard."
"I got kicked out of amate raxi once, I can't remember that night either."
"I guess I was too much Wang for them to handle."
"Ow, you fucker!"

The most I've got is around 580/1000 for a chapter. I don't think anyone knows how to get a perfect score in either Hard Reset or Shadow Warrior. This guy is playing on Heroic, takes 0% damage and still doesn't get a perfect score. His playing is pretty insane to watch if you're familiar with the game.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7xK1j8JUg[/media]

As for quotes:

After you've killed a mob of demons: "Hey guys? Where'd everybody go?"

"Who does your nails? I must have his number."

"Eye of the tiger Hoji, eye of the tiger.."

Wang: " What else does the prophesy say?"
Hoji: "Why that, the 'one' will believe any goddamn idiot thing you say."

Kyokigami: "Wang are you in yet? I can't tell"

"Ooh look! Meat pinatas!"

I also like the item description for the quad barrel simul-fire upgrade: For when you absolutely, positively have to clear every motherfucker in the room. :)/>/>

slimgrin said:
The most I've got is around 580/1000 for a chapter. I don't think anyone knows how to get a perfect score in either Hard Reset or Shadow Warrior. This guy is playing on Heroic, takes 0% damage and still doesn't get a perfect score. His playing is pretty insane to watch if you're familiar with the game.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7xK1j8JUg[/media]

Holy hell, I didn't even know it's possible to play like that!
Guy has the levels memorized, but still it's pretty damn epic.

Also, my favorite fortune cookies from the game:

To Be Is To Do - Socrates
To Do Is To Be - Sartre
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra

All Men Eat, but Fu Man Chu

Having sex is like playing bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd beter have a great hand.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. - George Carlin

Ok so this game is amazing. I am in chapter 8 but man, the gameplay, graphics, oneliners, everything is top notch.
And I love the engine. I had to put some stuff to medium, but it still looks amazing, and runs at 1080p/60fps on my aging gtx560ti. And controller support is fantastic, playing it on my 55" TV and it is great fun, the katana is so much fun. And the shotgun, aaaahhh.

"Live each day to its fullest. Especially today because...oh, I don't want to spoil it."

~Fortune cookie. :p

So I've invested in the flame thrower early on for my insane run. Napalm is good for crowd control, bad for mini bosses. I love the site of flamey demons running around in a crazed panic. Still haven't found all the secrets in a given level. Will have to resort to a guide for that I guess. Whats with the chemical processing plant of Zilla's? It doesn't seem to tie into the story. I really hope they do an expansion for this. We never got to face off against the twins, or kill Zilla.

slimgrin said:
"Live each day to its fullest. Especially today because...oh, I don't want to spoil it."

~Fortune cookie. :p/>/>/>

So I've invested in the flame thrower early on for my insane run. Napalm is good for crowd control, bad for mini bosses. I love the site of flamey demons running around in a crazed panic. Still haven't found all the secrets in a given level. Will have to resort to a guide for that I guess. Whats with the chemical processing plant of Zilla's? It doesn't seem to tie into the story. I really hope they do an expansion for this. We never got to face off against the twins, or kill Zilla.

Probably DLC, or EC, EE, whatever they decide to call it. I wonder if it'll be free, if and when it comes.

One of the twins was flying the Helicopter helping Zilla escape.
The toxic at the factory is a bit strange, then again Zilla Enterprises is pretty huge. Though, if we have to connect it to the plot, I presume Zilla followed some of Enra orders. Those green guys felt right at home there with all the snow and toxic. They were literally endless. Or maybe Zilla got so arrogant he thought about converting some of these demons to his side.

::EDIT::
Nope, I just saw a LP of the game. When Lo Wang enters the factory he says Zilla got evidence about Alien spaceships, and Kennedy assassination. What the fuck?

Part of the FWH team is finishing up another project. Whoooboy, now I'm curious. I love the business model these guys have - mid priced games that aren't as big as AAA, but they come out faster. Nice comments about PC as lead platform. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm on wave six on the chapter 16 horde fight...ugh.

http://www.computera...-a-classic-fps/

Good read, thanks! Can't wait until they reveal the new project they're working on.

Still, I find it offensive that many major sites ignored SW and not even reviewed it (looking at you, Eurogamer).

Top Bottom