Fog, fire, and that frame rate hit....wow

+
Fog, fire, and that frame rate hit....wow

My PC is pretty decent. I have a gtx 970/i7 4770/16 GB of RAM. With hair works off, I can run a mix of very high and ultra and get a damn near locked 60fps with v sync 98% of the time. That is, until there's fog on the screen.

Anyone that's played this game knows about the Mask of Oroubos scene and the Skellige sauna scene. The frame rate TANKS HARD. Fire in Novigrad at night time also sees a decent fps drop. Anywhere from 3-5 fps in places. If CDPR could streamline vumetric and alpha effects in this game, it would run great. Please tell me this is coming.

Made a thread about this earlier. It's insane. I think it has to do with transparancies and volumetric effects.. The engine REALLY doesn't like them. It's a shame we don't have any sliders or not even an ini setting to reduce particle effects.

There's cvMaxAllowedParticlesCount in the user.settings file (or you can add it yourself). Mine's at 1000. Don't know how much impact it has, as some of the settings seem to be hardcoded.

my GTX 980 doesn't care much about that you mentioned
but i lose 10-12fps when there a lot of npcs on screen (like in novigrad)

My PC is pretty decent. I have a gtx 970/i7 4770/16 GB of RAM. With hair works off, I can run a mix of very high and ultra and get a damn near locked 60fps with v sync 98% of the time. That is, until there's fog on the screen.

Anyone that's played this game knows about the Mask of Oroubos scene and the Skellige sauna scene. The frame rate TANKS HARD. Fire in Novigrad at night time also sees a decent fps drop. Anywhere from 3-5 fps in places. If CDPR could streamline vumetric and alpha effects in this game, it would run great. Please tell me this is coming.

Your hardware is fine. I'm running a i7-5960X with 32GB of RAM with dual SLI GTX 980's. I'm playing the game with everything on Ultra except Hairworks and I've noticed a few dips during some busy points. The worst dips would hit around 50-55 fps and I wouldn't have even noticed the dips if I didn't have Afterburner running in the background. These frame rate dips are not ruining my game experience at all but I know with my current setup I should be able to run at 60 fps constant with Vsync on with no dips. I think after some patches these fine tuning issues will be addressed.

Agreed, its insane to get an almost locked framerate destroyed by fog, fire or other particle effects. Adjusting the particle value in the user.ini doesnt change this sadly. Its pretty annoying that something like this hasnt been fixed before release, because it is pretty obvious and even affects the console versions heavily.

You know something is wrong when even SLI 980s cant maintain a constant 60 without dips at FullHD.

No where did I say it was unbearable, though the sauna scene drops the fps to the 40s though that's not a crucial area of the game. Merely pointing out that the effects I mentioned are overly taxing.

Top Bottom