Follow-up on the February security breach

+
But who's buying it? Obviously personal data can be leveraged, but why the code? Forgive my naivety but is industrial espionage like that in the game industry common?

But who's buying it? Obviously personal data can be leveraged, but why the code? Forgive my naivety but is industrial espionage like that in the game industry common?
To the extent copied code is traceable (not necessarily the case once it's recompiled etc) it's a seriously bad idea. Taking the data is, after all, potentially a criminal offence depending on the jurisdiction.

The most famous example is when someone stole formula x, the recipe for Coke, and tried to sell it to Pepsi. Pepsi, not being born yesterday, immediately contacted Coke and the FBI and they arranged a sting to catch the culprit.

The leaks may in fact be happening because the hackers *didn't* sell it, at least for the price they wanted, and are now trying to show they mean business.

Who knows. People seem to forget these people are criminals.

Stolen code gives you an infrastructure map of whatever platform you're working with and basically allows for potential intruders to scout out the victim regarding lacking safety features, eventual backdoors, logic vulnerabilities etc. Generally speaking hacking means targeted use of structures to achieve a certain goal outside given preprogrammed field of possibilities.
I like to compare hacking to learning a language. You can learn it by trying, but once you have a dictionary, you know what youre doing.

To the extent copied code is traceable (not necessarily the case once it's recompiled etc) it's a seriously bad idea. Taking the data is, after all, potentially a criminal offence depending on the jurisdiction.

The most famous example is when someone stole formula x, the recipe for Coke, and tried to sell it to Pepsi. Pepsi, not being born yesterday, immediately contacted Coke and the FBI and they arranged a sting to catch the culprit.

The leaks may in fact be happening because the hackers *didn't* sell it, at least for the price they wanted, and are now trying to show they mean business.

Who knows. People seem to forget these people are criminals.
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, the major software houses won't touch it with a barge pole, not worth the risk. Why would Pepsi want an inferior product anyway :p
I realise there are certain places in the world where companies and governments are less bothered about international law but like you said surely CDPR or EA are likely to spot their own code.
Post automatically merged:

Stolen code gives you an infrastructure map of whatever platform you're working with and basically allows for potential intruders to scout out the victim regarding lacking safety features, eventual backdoors, logic vulnerabilities etc. Generally speaking hacking means targeted use of structures to achieve a certain goal outside given preprogrammed field of possibilities.
I like to compare hacking to learning a language. You can learn it by trying, but once you have a dictionary, you know what youre doing.
So they'd potentially use it to access the users?

Edit- The Pepsi comment is just about that, don't want anyone thinking I'm taking a veiled poke at the RedEngine

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought, the major software houses won't touch it with a barge pole, not worth the risk. Why would Pepsi want an inferior product anyway :p
I realise there are certain places in the world where companies and governments are less bothered about international law but like you said surely CDPR or EA are likely to spot their own code.
Post automatically merged:

So they'd potentially use it to access the users?
Not only the users but also the platforms which may be of bigger value to the criminal.

Top Bottom