Follow-up on the February security breach

+
EN_16x9_Statement.jpg

Read more: cdpred.ly/ImportantUpdate

Anyone else find it odd they decide to announce this on the same day most game-savvy people are watching E3?

Or the same day CNN is reporting that EA has indicated they were also hacked and the Frostbite source code (used for FIFA, Madden, Battlefield franchises) was stolen?

EDIT: Jinx! :p

I sincerely hope, whoever was responsible for this gets their fair share of ass kicking whenever they're caught.
It's worrying to know such things rarely happen without internal assistance.

It’s corporate PR 101: If you want people to miss your announcement, drop it at 5 p.m. on a Friday. Or, at the very least, wait until everyone’s looking at something else.

I'm sorry but most likely this is a regulatory announcement required by both or either of Polish / EU data protection legislation and disclosure requirements for listed companies. It's standard practice to release such announcements after markets have closed. Moreover, since it is of limited relevance to gamers generally, more to investors and employees, the idea that investment professionals are glued to E3 coverage rather stretches credulity. Yet another triumph for the gaming "press" who appear to know nothing about the real world beyond computer games and can't be bothered to find out.

I dont want to presume too much on the second point.
But to the first part, hell yeah. Those who are responsible should be held accountable.
It not my intention either, it's just that internal infrastructure knowledge is usually the key. Could be the result of some professional social engineering too. Anyways that's just speculation, time should show. There are experts working on it as we speak probably.

No.
By the way, EA has been hacked today.
Yep. Very similar in that source code and maybe contractor data was stolen. Apparently no encryption / ransom in the attack. Just stolen data that's now up for sale.

The crazy thing is that the perpetrators have stated that they'll ignore contact from anyone other than reputable purchasers. So, the sophistication of this black market industry has progressed to the point where purchasers / sellers have developed reputations. There are a lot of underground cultures that I'm not even aware of, much less understand.

Edit: also, CDPR was much more forthcoming about its breach than EA has been. CDPR broadcast it on the forums. News of the EA breach was broken, I think, by Motherboard.

Top Bottom