Foltest needs to be nerfed hard next patch

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Foltest is to strong because the cards with zeal are amongst the best cards in the game.
Giving him three charges and three mulligans is way to powerful.
I'd rather see him changed to two charges without boosting and two mulligans.
The following cards should also be changed:

Gaunter O'Dimm
14 provisions (+2)

It does a huge pointswing or does engine removal

Seltkirk
11 provisions (+2)

9 provisions for a potential 12 value (+1 boost from order leader) card isn't fair

Eyk of Denesle
9 provisions (+1)

Or change range to 1

Ves
9 provisions (+1)

4 damage and gain one 1 zeal should cost more

Anna Strenger
8 provisions (+1)

When boosted, which isn't that difficult, she's already 8 points.

Princess Pavetta
7 provisions (0)

Set unit strength to 3 (-3)

Blue stripe Commando
6 provisions (0)

Set strength to 3 and don't spawn all units when blue stripe scout is played or Pavetta.
Let them spawn one by one when their zeal is charged.

Blue stripe Scout
5 provisions (+1)

Set strength to 3

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I partially disagree: OP is suggesting a nerf to both Foltest, and the cards that become OP on a Foltest deck.

Wouldnt it make more sense to just nerf one or the other? And since Foltest would be simpler to nerf, like it was suggested for example, it would probably be better than nerfing all the other cards.

There are however some of the other suggested nerfs that should be considered, since they're not exclusive to Foltest, specifically the blue stripes play that seems every NR deck relies on.

So, basically nerf NR into oblivion? Your proposed changes are way too harsh for a faction that isn't even at the top; neither is it overwhelming. On a general note, we really should stop nerfing everything as a balancing solution.

Let's take two examples:

Blue stripe Commando
6 provisions (0)

Set strength to 3 and don't spawn all units when blue stripe scout is played or Pavetta.
Let them spawn one by one when their zeal is charged.

Blue stripe Scout
5 provisions (+1)

Set strength to 3

The Scout is only used with a Commando and isn't really a problem or deserving of a nerf because the Commando can already be countered, rendering the Scout useless. A double nerf on the Scout makes it way too risky to play for only 1 extra strength compared to its provision costs. Also, dropping the strength on the Commando doesn't add up with its provision costs; only giving it thinning.

Guest 4334474

Personally, I don't find foltest to be unstoppable or anything, he just needs some counters ready to be used in your deck just like fighting any other deck. Disliking to fight Foltest using Revenants or Commandos is just as counterable as Nilfgaard decks these days, have locks ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foltest is to strong because the cards with zeal are amongst the best cards in the game.
The MO and SK community frowns upon this thread.
1234.jpg

Foltest has been very prevalent and strong lately. I certainly think he should be adjusted. Other strong leaders (some not strong ones) get fewer Mulligans so I feel one less Mulligan or one less charge would hit the right balance. I think both would make him unplayable. The main reason he is the main NR leader right now is zeal ensures an order unit gets to use their ability. Perhaps more ways to set up zeal would help other nr leaders see more play. Just my two cents :)

Heh.... The trouble with looking at the NR order cards or Foltest in a vacuum is it omits context. He's a 3 point leader. Yes, specific orders cards are quite powerful if used at the right time. Those cards gain Zeal when a Foltest charge is burned on them. They're not able to be locked, killed or, in some cases, moved when they have Zeal. But... Foltest is a 3 point leader. So while those order cards are quite powerful when a Foltest charged is used on them it can only be done 3 times and at the expense of gaining a measly 3 pts from the leader over a game.

A card like Gaunter is already quite expensive at 12p. Yes, he's strong. He's not strong unless he kills an engine or a large unit. The former can be done in other ways, with other units. It can be done with locks. It can be done with movement in certain cases. The latter is identical to the function of every other unit designed to kill or neutralize a large unit. The Geralt's, Bonhart's, Imlerith's and other removals of the Gwent universe. Most of those may be conditional but they also tend to be cheaper. Furthermore, most of those are deploy effects. So unlike Gaunter they're not susceptible to removal or locks if a Foltest charge is not used (and, there are other ways to neutralize Gaunter if he's not used with a Foltest charge, like transforms or cards like CoF).

I'd also add it needs to be considered what happens to these "strong" order units when they do not receive a Foltest charge or Zeal off another unit. They tend to get locked, killed or, if applicable, moved to the other row (aka Seltkirk). In these cases they're undervalued.

The opening post in this thread is basically asking to nerf Foltest and many of the core units in Foltest decks. We saw how that went down with Eithne. There is a rather large difference between careful balance and moronic balance hell-bent on destroying a specific deck.

The sad thing is, knowing CDPR and their hate for NR, I'd bet they actually comply with op's wishes

CDPR nerfs way too much as it is. We don't need constant nerfs every 2 months for the rest of eternity. What we need is less binary card design, more counters, more ways to mulligan cards and just a much bigger cardpool in general.

rrc

Forum veteran
While the image is actually very funny, the content is wrong. The three doors should be Green, Green, and Brown (Neutral).

There should be another picture in which the Angel knocks the doors to give blessings and those door should be, Red, Red, Purple and Purple.

Monsters are now the most blessed faction now. Just look at Wild Hunt (Summon the copy card)! 8 point swing with a condition like `if (true)`. The condition will never fail. It gives 8 point power swing and thinning. And all the huge monster cards with more value to their provision than others. SK was strong and it is kept relatively untouched.

While the image is actually very funny, the content is wrong. The three doors should be Green, Green, and Brown (Neutral).

Ah, I could indeed add Neutral instead of Monsters. "Fixed" the image, well, kinda.

Monsters are now the most blessed faction now. Just look at Wild Hunt (Summon the copy card)! 8 point swing with a condition like `if (true)`. The condition will never fail. It gives 8 point power swing and thinning.
they also have foglets for thinning, meanwhile in my crappy handbuff deck i only have volunteers which mostly brick :(((

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom