Football Thread (actual "football")

+
You mean soccer?

:p

I find american football far more interesting, complex, athletically and tactically demanding to be honest.

;)

But seriously, I think Bayern München could and should have won tonight.

Yea. Guess tuey dont care. Although Müller missed that penalty at the end...
A german who misses a penalty... ever heared of that...

It's an accepted fact, read the wikipedia article and its respected links. The ball travels at 100mph for one thing, the speed the players must achieve to chase this is another, the pace of the game is constantly lightning quick, only when the ball is off the field is there any downtime.

From Forbes:
Hurling is the fastest field sport on earth, a thrilling, lightning-quick, stunningly high-skill rough-and-tumble game.

Just The Facts:

The game is at least 2'000 years old.
It is the fastest field sport in the world.
To many outside of Ireland, the game seems absolutely batshit insane and is regularly used as evidence that Irish people are crazy.

Hurling is an inherently dangerous and rough game. Players can expect to be tackled to the ground, wrestled, shoulder charged, slashed, hooked and pulled. Early games had a tradition of all players on the field, 42 in the early days, engaging in all-out wrestling matches at the final whistle. The use of helmets is encouraged but not required and most players will go without for many reasons. Practically, they limit the filed of vision from players but in reality many think it is more a matter of pride: after all you'd be kind off a pussy to wear a helmet when your opponent doesn't right?

New regulations introduced in 2010 have made the use of helmets mandatory on all levels. Rather then being grateful for the opportunity to protect themselves from 100 mph travelling bits of leather, numerous players have retired rather then be forced to wear what is, essentially, just a thin shield of plastic.

Croke Park in Dublin is the home of hurling and is the largest non-soccer orientated stadium in Europe with an official capacity of 80'300. That's important to note as the largest attendance on record is over 90'000, proving that what would be a strict seating limit in most countries is taken only as a casual suggestion by most Irish people.

The striking of Caman against each other is called "The Clash of the Ash" after the tree that the sticks are made from. Such strikes invariably end with the two objects smashing to pieces and sending sharp shards of wood flying in every direction because the game just isn't dangerous enough already.

One of the key drawing points of Hurling is its amateur status at every level. Every player, manager, coach and official takes part without pay or wages. All players have "real" jobs, often coming from the Agriculture, Army or Garda professions (because those jobs just aren't stressful enough.) As such Hurling is viewed as a more pure sport where the participants really are playing for the glory of their county rather then monetary reward.

You mean soccer?

:p

I find american football far more interesting, complex, athletically and tactically demanding to be honest.

Actual play time of handegg: 11 minutes to 12 and a half tops.

Actual play time of football (from a 2011 article by the Guardian): "At Premier League matches on average, the ball was in play for 62.39 minutes this season – more than in the much-vaunted Spanish and German top flights (61.48 minutes and 61.22 minutes respectively), but significantly less than in Serie A (65.15 minutes)."

What were you saying about athletically demanding sports? :p

Last edited:
Eh, different people, different tastes. The same 'actual play' criticism can be levelled at turn-based games yet I love them.

Last edited:
lol. 11 min only?
i watched some "handegg" games but never thought it was only like 11 min.
One game goes like 3-4 hours although the play time is like only 11 minutes?! thats hilarious.

Eh, different people, different tastes. The same 'actual play' criticism can be levelled at turn-based games yet I love them.

Well yeah. But try watching a baseball or "football" game without beer and food, and by yourself. In live MLB games for instance there is much going on at the stadium to keep people entertained, because the actual game is slow. It's more about the experience than watching the game itself.

It's different when you are the one playing. But of course this was all for the sake of humor.

What were you saying about interesting and athletically demanding sports? :p

I also mentioned complexity and tactics.

American football is tactical turn based RPG, while football is your ordinary action-slasher :p

But anyway, I don't want to ruin your thread guys, so I'll just :sofa:

American football is tactical turn based RPG, while football is your ordinary action-slasher :p

Then you havent watched much football for sure, if you think that there is so little tactics in this sports

Nah, it would be a turn based strategy game, where as football, yes, would be an action slasher in many leagues but ideally an RTS.

I don't even like sports that much, but I can't resist silly arguments :D :cheers:

Anyway...

Barcelona vs. Manchester City and PSG vs. Leverkusen tonight. I think it's fairly obvious that Barcelona and PSG will qualify for the next round.

Both Barça and PSG won, no surprises there. And yes, Germans missing penalties left and right.

Last edited:
Well yeah. But try watching a baseball or "football" game without beer and food, and by yourself. In live MLB games for instance there is much going on at the stadium to keep people entertained, because the actual game is slow. It's more about the experience than watching the game itself.

I don't care about handegg. I've never been a fan.

Baseball, however, is about the only sport I watch. I've been playing and following it since childhood. The sport is quite complex and it has a lot of rules, so I can understand why others might not be interested. If you're a fan and you understand what's going on, baseball is anything but boring.

There are no time limits -- teams play until one of them wins or unless weather makes it impossible to continue. It's a great example of a true turn-based strategy game. In many cases, individual players are sacrificed so that the team can advance, a lot like in chess.

I'm not here to troll or flame, I just like baseball ;) I'll hand the thread back over to its rightful purpose now. :p

Top Bottom