For People on PC that still crash past Character Creation.

+
Figured I'd Create this thread as I still cannot get past character creation, and wanted people like me to have a place to find a solution. I Pre-Loaded the game and got through the final download just fine on release day. I've gotten the 1.04 Patch, same issue. I will post my specs, and would suggest others who post to do the same. For this post, I will also list all the troubleshooting steps I have taken. I would also suggest to make a Tech support message, however, I never got a response, hence the thread.

# -------------------------------> My PC SPECS:
i7-8700k
NZXT X63 280mm Liquid Cooler
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
16 Gb G.Skill DDR4 RAM (8 Gb sticks x 2)
1 TB Samsung 860 EV0 SSD x2
Z370-E ROG Strix Gaming Mb
EVGA 750W G3 Power Supply
Windows 10 (20H2)
Nvidia Drivers (460.89)

# -------------------------------> Troubleshooting Steps Taken [Will Update to keep current]

- First up, as suggested by CD Projekt Red, I performed a Clean Install of the latest Nvidia Drivers, using their recommended Software DDU.
- Next, I Ensured My Windows 10 is fully up-to-date (It is not pirated Software).
- I have tried disabling G-SYNC.
- I have tried disabling Windows Fullscreen Optimizations on both Cyberpunk2077.exe and REDprelauncher.exe.
- I have tried both windowed / Fullscreen modes.
- I have tried Disabling my Precision X1 (My GPU Software).
- I have ensured Steam In-Game Overlay is disabled.
- I have tried launching directly from CyberPunk2077.exe in the game's bin folder.
- I have Verified Game File Integrity through steam. Many times.
- I have run DxDiag.
- I have tried deleting %Appdata%/Local/CD Projekt Red/Cyberpunk 2077 to clear local cache.
- I have tried the AVX crash fix mod on nexusmods. d=(I have reverted this as it didn't work.)
- I have tried Reinstallation x3 times. Twice before 1.04 once after 1.04 was released.
- I have tried optimizing my Nvidia control panel for performance, thanks to IskrasFemme.
- I have tried Freeing up even more space on my SSD by deleting other games.
- I have tried running the system scanner and repair through cmd to repair any .dll's or errors in my OS.
- I have tried starting the game from a clean boot as outlined on the technical support page.
- I have tried reverting my Nvidia Drivers back to version 456.55. Thanks to WhirlinDeath for the suggestion.
- I have tried wiping my hard drive entirely.
- I have tried a factory restore on my pc.

# -------------------------------> Results and Misc. Information

I do not intend for this thread to be a place where we just bash the game or technical support. I also don't think this is where in-game (in world) crashes or bugs should go, want to try provide a place for people with the specific issue of not being able to boot-up the game or get past character creation to get help and troubleshoot.

- I have found that clearing your local cache at the directory %Appdata%/Local/CD Projekt Red/Cyberpunk 2077 prevented the game from simply CTDing at boot, however this doesn't work for me anymore, but If you are crashing and can't get past the logo / cutscene I'd suggest trying this to progress, though I still crashed when trying to proceed past character creation.

## I will continue to update solution results that have fixed this issue for others here, should you post them under this thread. Good luck netrunners. ##

Last edited:
For me running the game in windowed mode fixed the crashing on character creation, after that full screen worked normally.

For me running the game in windowed mode fixed the crashing on character creation, after that full screen worked normally.

I tried this as well, I guess I should add it. Right now, I can't get past the logo before CTD. Clearing the Local Cache isn't working for me since 1.04. I may try a fourth reinstall if hotfix 1.05 doesn't work.

Hi,
I created an account just for you my friend. You see i had the same problem as you and i fixed it by rolling back earlier version of nvidia driver.

They insist that we must have latest driver but latest driver made the game crash for me and probabaly for you too. It is not nvidia fault since other game work with latest driver.

So i tried the 3 latest driver and the game still crashed so i rolled back to the drivers i was using when cyberpunk got out (442.59) and boom no longer did the game crash on start.

So i played a while in 1.03 and when 1.04 got out i tried reinstalling latest driver... crash on start... so i came back to 442.59.

I would not keep my hopes up that this will be fixed in 1.05... For now i stopped playing because lack of proper AI ruin my experience and i want the 1st time to be magic so im gonna wait for lots of patch, I dont get too many bug beside that.

So your welcome, good luck and have a great one.

Hi,
I created an account just for you my friend. You see i had the same problem as you and i fixed it by rolling back earlier version of nvidia driver.

They insist that we must have latest driver but latest driver made the game crash for me and probabaly for you too. It is not nvidia fault since other game work with latest driver.

So i tried the 3 latest driver and the game still crashed so i rolled back to the drivers i was using when cyberpunk got out (442.59) and boom no longer did the game crash on start.

So i played a while in 1.03 and when 1.04 got out i tried reinstalling latest driver... crash on start... so i came back to 442.59.

I would not keep my hopes up that this will be fixed in 1.05... For now i stopped playing because lack of proper AI ruin my experience and i want the 1st time to be magic so im gonna wait for lots of patch, I dont get too many bug beside that.

So your welcome, good luck and have a great one.
Thanks, I think I have a couple old driver versions collecting dust in a folder somewhere, I'll try it out and let ya know how it goes, Thanks for the help!
Post automatically merged:

Thanks, I think I have a couple old driver versions collecting dust in a folder somewhere, I'll try it out and let ya know how it goes, Thanks for the help!

I tried reverting my Nvidia Drivers to 456.55 and still can't get past the Logo. Thanks for your time, really appreciate you taking the time to try and help, I updated my post to reflect your suggestion.

*Edit*
Just saw that the Nvidia Driver version you listed was 442.59, I'll try and get a hold of that version and let you know what happens

Last edited:
Top Bottom