For PS4 Pro - G.O.T.Y. edition users with an 1080p TV (PS4 Pro update 5.50)

+
For PS4 Pro - G.O.T.Y. edition users with an 1080p TV (PS4 Pro update 5.50)

Has anyone tried to play the The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt with the latest PS4 Pro 5.50 update?

There is a new feature called Supersampling on the PS4 Pro now.

According to Sony, that feature may improve picture quality on games that are played on a TV or Monitor that has an resolution lower than 2K and aren't optimized for the capabilities of an PS4 Pro.

So, my question!

Did anyone fired up the game with Boost Mode and Supersampling Mode enabled on the G.O.T.Y. edition that relies on the on-disc 1.30 patch?

---------------

Boost mode can be found under: Settings -> System -> Boost Mode [X]

Supersampling mode can be found under: Settings -> Sound and Screen -> Video Output Settings -> Supersampling Mode [X]

Note: Supersampling mode allows you to get picture quality comparable with 4K even when connecting PS4 Pro to a TV with a resolution of 2K or below that.
The effect depends on the game in question.

Last edited:
Hey there, I have both 1080p screen and a 4K Sony TV which I switch my PS4 gaming between, I noticed when I fired up Witcher on the 1080p screen with Supersampling set to on I didnt get the tell tale 'supersampling mode enabled' message. So assume its not working.

stormyuk;n10646381 said:
Hey there, I have both 1080p screen and a 4K Sony TV which I switch my PS4 gaming between, I noticed when I fired up Witcher on the 1080p screen with Supersampling set to on I didnt get the tell tale 'supersampling mode enabled' message. So assume its not working.

>I noticed when I fired up Witcher on the 1080p screen with Supersampling set to on I didnt get the tell tale 'supersampling mode enabled' message. So assume its not working.

I assume you have the Pro Console.

I did not work, because (most probably) you play on the latest 1.50 patch.

On the latest 1.50 patch, Boost Mode and Supersampling Mode doesn't work on The Witcher 3 game.

The latest patch does automatically down samples the game from *almost 4K to 1080p and uses the full power of the PS4 Pro.

So, Supersampling Mode doesn't work and boost mode either.

What the patch does on 4K TVs or Monitors:

It achieves a 2160p image through checkerboard rendering. In reality it runs at 1920x2160 (so not native 3840x2160)

However, PS4 Pro uses a custom upscaling solution known as checkerboard technique that attempts to reduce the quality loss by creating a illusion of a 3840x2160 resolution.

This happens because otherwise the PS4 wouldn't handle a resolution of real 4K on some games, (The Witcher 3 included) with fewer resources and effort.

----------------

So, if you use the G.O.T.Y. edition of the game (if you own that edition of course) and with the included 1.30 patch, you can enable the Supersampling feature and the Boost Mode of course.

I just got my game back, and i started a new game.

I'm pretty sure that the high pitched fan noise that some people hear (at instances on some areas of the game) relies on the fact that the game runs now at 4K on 4K screens using the full power of the Console or with the supersampling technique on a 1080p screen.

I mean it looks clearly to me, that the PS4 Pro can't handle well that higher resolution workload thus the fan runs at higher speed to keep the temps down.

Actually, people asked CDPR for a 4K patch, and that's how it runs on the PS4 Pro.

Ι say that because i started to play with the Supersampling and the Boost Mode feature and it seems the fan runs a bit higher than it should be.

Not that high as with the 1.50 patch, but I'm at the beginning of the game.

So, everything can change if i visit Novigrad. That must to be seen.

Graphics looks crisp and performance looks solid too.

We will see how it ends up...

Note: At least nasty stash and merchant bugs shouldn't occur on patch 1.30. Game looks way better with supersampling, so i hope boost mode can keep up the performance to acceptable levels.

If you, or someone else can try that mode with the latest Sony 5.50 patch (on a PS4 Pro console of course), the conclusions could be beneficial, at least for as with an 1080p Monitor. ;) (don't forget to enable Boost mode as well.)

:victory:

Last edited:
mark5916;n10647941 said:
>I noticed when I fired up Witcher on the 1080p screen with Supersampling set to on I didnt get the tell tale 'supersampling mode enabled' message. So assume its not working.

I assume you have the Pro Console.

I did not work, because (most probably) you play on the latest 1.50 patch.

On the latest 1.50 patch, Boost Mode and Supersampling Mode doesn't work on The Witcher 3 game.

The latest patch does automatically down samples the game from *almost 4K to 1080p and uses the full power of the PS4 Pro.

So, Supersampling Mode doesn't work and boost mode either.

What the patch does on 4K TVs or Monitors:

It achieves a 2160p image through checkerboard rendering. In reality it runs at 1920x2160 (so not native 3840x2160)

However, PS4 Pro uses a custom upscaling solution known as checkerboard technique that attempts to reduce the quality loss by creating a illusion of a 3840x2160 resolution.

This happens because otherwise the PS4 wouldn't handle a resolution of real 4K on some games, (The Witcher 3 included) with fewer resources and effort.

----------------

So, if you use the G.O.T.Y. edition of the game (if you own that edition of course) and with the included 1.30 patch, you can enable the Supersampling feature and the Boost Mode of course.

I just got my game back, and i started a new game.

I'm pretty sure that the high pitched fan noise that some people hear (at instances on some areas of the game) relies on the fact that the game runs now at 4K on 4K screens using the full power of the Console or with the supersampling technique on a 1080p screen.

I mean it looks clearly to me, that the PS4 Pro can't handle well that higher resolution workload thus the fan runs at higher speed to keep the temps down.

Actually, people asked CDPR for a 4K patch, and that's how it runs on the PS4 Pro.

Ι say that because i started to play with the Supersampling and the Boost Mode feature and it seems the fan runs a bit higher than it should be.

Not that high as with the 1.50 patch, but I'm at the beginning of the game.

So, everything can change if i visit Novigrad. That must to be seen.

Graphics looks crisp and performance looks solid too.

We will see how it ends up...

Note: At least nasty stash and merchant bugs shouldn't occur on patch 1.30. Game looks way better with supersampling, so i hope boost mode can keep up the performance to acceptable levels.

If you, or someone else can try that mode with the latest Sony 5.50 patch (on a PS4 Pro console of course), the conclusions could be beneficial, at least for as with an 1080p Monitor. ;) (don't forget to enable Boost mode as well.)

:victory:

No, 5.50 supersampling is exclusive for games having resolution over 1080p, but don't support Downsampling on Full HD TV, such as Kingdom Hearts, Dishonored 2, FF XII, and some more titles. Basically you are playing Witcher 3 at 1080p.

Che

davidmunozu;n10699311 said:
No, 5.50 supersampling is exclusive for games having resolution over 1080p, but don't support Downsampling on Full HD TV, such as Kingdom Hearts, Dishonored 2, FF XII, and some more titles. Basically you are playing Witcher 3 at 1080p.

Che

Thanks for your respond!

Yeah, (unfortunately) i figured that myself yesterday.

The graphics are the same as playing The Witcher 3 with the 1.3 patch on a 1080p TV.

PS4s Supersampling seems not to work at all with that game.

I compared pictures with the regular game and the 1.3 patch with and without SS and you get the same ugly jaggies on some objects.

So, only the latest 1.50 patch seems to have raised the quality of the image quite a lot on an 1080p TV. ;)

Top Bottom