For those who think the game is too easy on the harder difficulties

+
Game cries for NG+ ... with Geralt level and all equipment saved on next playthrough , and enemies could be higher levels on NG+

And reason NG+ makes sense are multiple game endings , different moral choices and paths ,level 47 swords ... etc etc

But the story is concluded once Ciri...

... defeats the evil mage and enters the Dark Tower to save all-worlds. What? Are you proposing the whole universe should just reset to some arbitrary point in the protagonist's life after the Gunslinger... (Err, I mean Ciri) finally defeats the Crimson King... (Err, I mean the Wild Hunt) after many adventures through different - yet connected - worlds to fulfill what she knew was her destiny from the very beginning? Tsst, that ending would just be soooo cheesy... I suppose you also think it'd be cute if the story played itself out differently every time... Maybe the protagonist should take a different path through events every time the universe resets, finding different adventures and allies along the way, yet always be driven towards The Tower somehow because the universe is destined to reset over and over forever, and the Gunslinger (Ciri! I mean Cir!) is the chosen one, the one of prophecy. Riiiiiight.

Is it just me, or is Ciri's story a rip-off (or homage to) Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series? There are similarities. Actually, now it makes perfect sense to implement an NG+ mode, if you know how the "Dark Tower" series ended...

Last edited:
on maximum difficulty i should be challenged by the game even when i use absolutely everything at my disposal, it's usually called "maximum difficulty" for a reason

instead, i have to invent myself some house rules just so i dont steamroll thru the so-called "death march"

it shouldn't be possible to play thru the "death march" using whatever playstyle i feel like, you have "just the story" difficulty for that

Last edited:
I wish bosses were harder, god I remember The Operator in the Witcher 2 on dark mode. Holy fucking balls I was so glad after I killed him, but the bosses in this game are so easy - especially when playing as Ciri it's not even a challenge anymore. The fight with the Ladies of the Wood was really disappointing, they were beings believed to have powerful ancient magic yet all they do is throw shit at Ciri while the fat one is trying to slap you.

I love what the combat system tries to be, but unfortunately the execution just falls short. I still mostly enjoy combat, but sometimes it really is an exercise in dealing with frustration. "Cheapness" is a good choice for a word here.

I still hold out hope the some of the issues will be addressed in future patches and some others in mods. The combat system definitely has potential for greatness, but it needs some serious tweaking.

Ya, a good example of "cheapness" is how you're not able to jump/climb while you're in combat, and must wage war from a two-foot ledge off the side of a mountain. Another is when you have to walk along a thin ledge (or that ruin with the spiked-floor puzzle) and you die because Geralt can't turn without moving forward into the spikes/ledge. Another is how the enemy often gets a free hit in fist-fights because you start toe-to-toe and he's punching you as the loading screen fades (you should start farther apart in fist-fights.) Hopefully issues like this will be addressed.

Bugs are especially annoying... Nearly every race I've lost has been because Roach halts on bridges when he's sprinting. Don't know how this bug got overlooked, it happens on every bridge in the game (except the large stone ones) every time he's sprinting, 100% repeatable... Played on PC with an XBox controller (low terrain & graphics quality settings) if that makes a difference.

on maximum difficulty i should be challenged by the game even when i use absolutely everything at my disposal, it's usually called "maximum difficulty" for a reason

instead, i have to invent myself some house rules just so i dont steamroll thru the so-called "death march"

it shouldn't be possible to play thru the "death march" using whatever playstyle i feel like, you have "just the story" difficulty for that

I'm on the fence. Hardest difficulty is for bragging rights, so I agree with you, in general. However, if there are any balancing issues, you won't be able to win unless you spam the one OP attack, or use the one OP tactic, or mash the one OP button. Basically, I agree with you to the extent that the game is balanced for a variety of builds, which seems to be a work in progress at this point.

Last edited:
Ya, a good example of "cheapness" is how you're not able to jump/climb while you're in combat, and must wage war from a two-foot ledge off the side of a mountain.
can you jump if jump isnt bound to same key as dodge or roll? i thought about it but cbf checking

besides, if you could jump while your enemies cant jump after you it'd be cheap to them :p

Another is how the enemy often gets a free hit in fist-fights because you start toe-to-toe and he's punching you as the loading screen fades (you should start farther apart in fist-fights.)
start punching as the screen fades yourself, easy way to get the first hit in on the baron

I'm on the fence. Hardest difficulty is for bragging rights, so I agree with you, in general. However, if there are any balancing issues, you won't be able to win unless you spam the one OP attack, or use the one OP tactic, or mash the one OP button. Basically, I agree with you to the extent that the game is balanced for a variety of builds, which seems to be a work in progress at this point.

what id like to see is some real need for bombs/decoctions/oils/monster knowledge etc. as it is i can easily not bother with them at all and just hit-dodge-quen my way through everything

although i guess i just need to wait till permadeath difficulty or something where i wont be willing to risk as much
or something in between, say saving only in inns. having played a lot of games hitting f5 every three seconds is already a subconscious reflex :D

Last edited:
can you jump if jump isnt bound to same key as dodge or roll? i thought about it but cbf checking

besides, if you could jump while your enemies cant jump after you it'd be cheap to them :p

That doesn't help XBox or PS4 people. How about... You can jump when you put your sword away. Currently, you go into fist-fighting mode when you sheath. How about you don't fist-fight unless you're locked on? Need both hands to climb anyway, seems fair.

start punching as the screen fades yourself, easy way to get the first hit in on the baron

Fight cheap with cheap? How about just starting a bit farther apart.

what id like to see is some real need for bombs/decoctions/oils/monster knowledge etc. as it is i can easily not bother with them at all and just hit-dodge-quen my way through everything

I used bombs and detections. Not that dimeritium bombs actually stopped enemies from teleporting or spewing their frost/fire/teleports at you... And what's with the bomb that stops enemies who transform? You fight, like, one fricken' doppler in the entire game, and none of the enemies transform during battle. Wish bombs other than Grapeshot and Dancing Star actually did something.

There are a few really good decoctions in the game. Crit chance, immunities, and the heal-from-stamina ones can be really useful. The heal one is fricken' OP.

Speaking of dimeritium (off topic) you'd think it'd be impossible for Geralt to use signs or teleport with the many ingots and plates of the stuff he puts into mastercrafted gear. A small amulet or pair of shackeles is enough to halt a sorceress who's honed magic from childhood, yet Geralt is covered in it... So inconsistent with the backstory of the world...

Remember when Yennifer can't use the megascope because there are some dimeritium bombs sitting in a crate way downstairs off in a corner? Then, once the crates are removed, I walked back up and stand right next to her with ten dimeritium ore in my pocket, dimeritium bombs in my sachel, and a bit in my weapons, and the megascope works flawlessly. SOOOO inconsistent...

although i guess i just need to wait till permadeath difficulty or something where i wont be willing to risk as much
or something in between, say saving only in inns. having played a lot of games hitting f5 every three seconds is already a subconscious reflex

Very true.

Last edited:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/90/?

That might come in handy.

To me the game is far too easy and I play with a controller on PC.

I currently play on the second highest difficulty (down from death march). The reason I went down were that enemies are not harder on Death March they just take longer to kill and as the tactic is the same it in the end just became a bit of a bore to rinse and repeat over and over. That is not challenging to me.

I want enemies to be more difficult on the higher difficulties not because they hit harder or have more HP but because they are better and more clever than the lower difficulties counterparts as well as they have new abilities.

In the start of the game the difficulty was awesome - started on DM. I actually felt nervous and very alert about the enemies and venturing of the road felt dangerous. SO I had to plan, be thoughtful about positioning/coating/potion management and so on. It was brilliant. Now I am level 20 (but it started already around level 10) and I have no issue with any enemy even 5-8 levels above me. I am not even close to be in a bit of a problem and it's a shame when it started out so great.

The only time I am in danger is when I get cornered in a house by a gang of humans.

I really hope they do something about this in the future and make the game hard on higher difficulties by given the enemies better AI and more options/attacks I have to watch out for - in fight healing could be an idea as well as better use of terrain and so on.

Fact is that the game is imbalanced all over the board.

Alchemy tree? To imba.

Sign tree? To imba.

Poison and burning on blades, also imba.

As a lot of people mentioned, hardest difficult should REQUIRE you to plan your skills build, read the beastary and know your thing. In theory on the hardest difficult of an RPG if you didn't prepare you don't stand a chance.

As it is, even if you dont do half of what i said o death march the game is still easy.

And no, the GAME should challange me, not the other way around.

---------- Updated at 02:56 PM ----------

I am planning to do a combat rebalance mod in the future as I have done with Witcher 2 (btw the changes in that mod sprung the semi-official changes in a well known modification by a game developer).

I am currently taking notes while I play of all encounters, skills, levels etc. and where they are lacking so as to change them (hopefully to make a good work at rebalancing the difficulty curve). When I will have finished the game I will start working on the mod (sadly I think you need to start a new game for it to work as modding in this game is very awkward outside of a proper tool).

Counting on you Sir! Good work, and dont forget to post here when you are done.

However, if there are any balancing issues, you won't be able to win unless you spam the one OP attack, or use the one OP tactic, or mash the one OP button. Basically, I agree with you to the extent that the game is balanced for a variety of builds, which seems to be a work in progress at this point.

how about NO build? im running the game without spending points, using potions, etc... just grindstones/armtables/points of power/food/cat potion/base yrden/base quen (required for some bosses).

the one OP attack? there is none... you have several options:

A. time your attack before theirs, you hit first, theirs is cancelled (timing attack).
B. counter-attack (also a timing attack)
C. dodge/get on their back side (cheese attack), roll falls into this category
D. strong attack to overpower defenses
E. get enemy archers to shoot their own men

they all work equally well, depending on the situation.

Wow, and I thought the Igni sign (specifically the burning effect) was so OP that I never used it, because it made the game way too easy on "Blood & Broken Bones". As for swordplay? There are definitely some fighting styles & AI stuff that could be improved, especially on the monster side. (Playing with an XBox controller btw.)

---------- Updated at 10:37 AM ----------

Overall, I love the combat system. However, this game does feel like it substitutes "cheapness" for "challenge" sometimes, which is the most annoying mistake developers make when they're designing difficulties. Also, there are bugs in the current build, so the combat system might feel better after a couple more patches.

For example, there's a really annoying Axii bug where you cast it on an enemy and he just stands there or walks around dumbly, and doesn't engage in any combat. Seems like he only fights for you if enemies are attacking you, but that's a catch 22 because you don't have time to mind-control someone unless you get far enough away to cast it. Also noticed that enemies still run towards you, even when you have the trait that makes them stop while you're casting it... These problems have basically made my Axii build so underpowered that I had less than ten situations in my whole play-through where mind-control helped.

Yeah your best leveling option at the immedate moment is to have aard and then max it out and slot all the skills for it and use a +10% mutagen to make it +40% more and then go out in the woods and find wolves. I'd slot 9 blues and use 3 10% mutagens and then use aard. It's rediculous. It's a murderous skill. Kills wolves instantly level 6 and under. If it doesnt it knocks them all down and you can flay through them with your sword. Or impale them.

Does anyone able to cut Water Hag's tongue ? it's hinted in the loading screen by counterattacking, but I'm still curious how to do that. I don't think monsters can be counterattacked, so how to counter attack water hag and cut her tongue ?

I facerolled this game on death march difficulty and it was no challenge at all for me , The witcher 3 combat is very casual . Enemies are just hard hitting damage sponges , that's it really . The game might be somewhat hard in the beggining , because you are unfamiliar with mechanics and enemies , but once you learn their moves and find out that you are invincible in the beggining of roll/dodge , you can stomp anything .
If you are interested in my build or my opinion about skills read the following . In the beggining I've spent my points on quen and axii , you don't have to maximize them , just get alternative modes and put rest of the skill points into the sword tree . Quen alternative mode is the best thing for healing in this game and axii will allow you to win any human combat situation . You see , on death march difficulty enemeis deal much more damage than you ( I find it very immersion breaking , why bandits with wood clubs hit harder than Geralt does it with sword ?! ) and axii boosts their damage even farther , so they will oneshot each other , you can just keep distance and apply axii over and over again ( archers can spoil the fun for you , but you can use quen to protect yourself or charm archers , or rush them down and gut them ) , besides , humans block about 98% of time and it's hard to hit them and it's even harder when you fight a crowd , thats actually the main reason you want to use axii , to avoid enemy's block . You should use quen alternative mode only to restore your health and nothing more , if you need protection you use regular mode , I like quen because it allows you to click enemies to death ignoring their counterattack , if they counter you can just continue hitting them ( this works better on monsters , since humans usually block immediately after you hit them ) . So , when you fight monsters you use quen and hit them recklessly until they break your shield , but I strongly recommend not to forget abot roll/dodge and attacks ( you should roll as little as possible , because you can't hit back after roll ) , especially when you fight monsters that hit hard ( golems , cyclops , griffins etc ) , your energy doesn't regenerate that fast to ignore their attacks . I chose medium armor ( griffin set ) with griffin school techniques skill you gain a solid boost to energy regeneration which allows you to spam quen more often , the sign power bonus isn't that good untill late game when quen can block 2-3 hits , so you take medium armor mostly for energy regeneration . If you want you can pick up swords from different school ( bear or feline ) , but I was too lazy to do so , so it's up to you to decide . I barely used stones power ups ( those which you put in swords and armor , I don't know how they called in the english version of the game ) , I only put some of them in swords for sings power , because I wanted my swords to have runes ( but you can reach 15% addition sign power on each sword it's quite nice ) . Now when we finished with signs , I will tell you about swords . And it looks like nothing in this game can outdamage sword ( except charmed enemies ) it mihgt not look so in the beggining , but the farther you progres the more damage you will deal with your sword , in order to turn your sword into rape machine , you should spend your points into strong attacks . I know a lot of people feel like strong attacks are obsolete , I've been thinking that myself , but I was wrong . Why strong attacks are good ? The answer is simple armor/block penetration and potion made from archgriffin mutagen . I was surprised by how much my damage increased with sunder armor skill ( I don't know if it works with fast attacks ) and block penetration strike is very useful , not for damage but for block penetration . When you use rend ( block breaking strike ) you don't need to charge it , you should strike as fast as possible , as I said you need it only to break block , but you can skip this skill if you want , it was boring for me to fight humans using axii that's why I invested in it ( rend doesn't deal much damage even fully charged , regular strong attack hit harder about 90% of time ) . I think that light attacks are somewhat lacking , whirlwind is quite weak and crippling strike damage is extremly low . so , about archgriffin potion , it allows you to deal 10% of enemies current health with strong attacks ( if you have any stamina , it doesn't matter how much you have , but it will drain all of it ) , this potion allows you to beat even toughest enemies in just about minute , with enhanced crit chance and amor penetration your strong attacks will be devastating ( I roflstomped Eredin like if he was a child ) .
Well , I think that's it , you can use this knowledge to become a king of The Witcher 3 . I was dissapointed in combat , it's too easy repetitive , unbalanced and unpolished . The first witcher game still was my favourite game combat wise .

Last edited:
Top Bottom