For us noobs

+
For us noobs

Anyone fancy giving a quick rundown of what the pen and paper game was all about? What can we expect to transition over to the game, themes, characters, plots, locations etc.

I am very excited about this title but know nothing about the original, I'd like to get up to speed and I'm sure this forum will see a lot of new members like myself who will want to know.

I was a massive Deus Ex fan but have been disappointed ever since with the games. I want to see the level of complex storytelling so sorely lacking from the latest offering and some real innovation in game play. mechanics. None of this false choice bullsh!t

Anyone fancy giving a quick rundown of what the pen and paper game was all about? What can we expect to transition over to the game, themes, characters, plots, locations etc.

I am very excited about this title but know nothing about the original, I'd like to get up to speed and I'm sure this forum will see a lot of new members like myself who will want to know.

I was a massive Deus Ex fan but have been disappointed ever since with the games. I want to see the level of complex storytelling so sorely lacking from the latest offering and some real innovation in game play. mechanics. None of this false choice bullsh!t

Best starting point is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_2020

There are many themes:

Style over substance - it's not enough to do something well, you've got to look good doing it.
Fighting against the man - Corporate dystopia and sometimes an ineffective and impotent (in terms of real power on the streets) government
Embracing man and machine but also embracing excesses and often going to the dark places that those excesses can take you - like the cyberpsychosis in the teaser trailer.

There's others, but you can perhaps get the drift

Cheers for that. This all sounds awesome, I hope some of this makes it in.

The Altcults

Corpore Metal or Cee-Metal - a society of full-body cyborgs that use Livemetal technology, where a modular braincase unit is inserted into a variety of purpose-built body frames.
Desnai' - Disneyworld-like series of amusement park arcology that strive to shelter themselves from the anarchy outside their walls. It is run heavily on automation and uses telepresence-piloted drones for travel, security, maintenance, labor, etc.
Edgerunners - the descendants of the anti-corporation Cyberpunk movement. Integral cyberlimbs are replaced by Neo-Cyber technology, in which detachable articulated frames called "bracers" worn over the body can be modified to perform all the functions of dedicated cybertechnology.
Reef - an undersea community whose members are heavily genetically modified to adapt and survive in the depths of the ocean.
Riptide Confederation - a fleet of Japanese floating arcologies that were cut off from their country following a nuclear civil war. They use bio-engineering to make living "tools" to aid them.
Rolling State - the descendants of the Nomad families in Cyberpunk 2020, who now use advanced nanotechnology and megatechnology to create land-based mobile cities.

In addition, there is also the Fallen Angels, space-bound scavengers, the Ghosts, people who have uploaded their minds, and the Neo-Corps, the surviving corporations of the Cyberpunk 2020 world that are now organized in the form of organized crime syndicates. However, the six listed above are the only ones that have been mentioned in deep detail.

Expect a lot of this to make it into the game. The pen and paper aspects, like mechanics and maybe combat (I personally hope they keep it largely similar as far as the basic concept of fighting in Cyberpunk, aptly named Friday Night Firefight) will probably be changed to accommodate a video game environment but so far everything we've heard and seen has all pointed to them keeping most of the lore and background intact, including all of the corporations and groups and everything.

it's all so exciting and I just wish it wasn't so far away :(

I don't think the CP203X is going to be considered canon for the purpose of this game, at least judging by how the trailer presents the setting, so altcults are probably out of the question.

There were Luddites in 2020, if I remember correctly. I'd be interested to see how the events of Cybergeneration and the Carbon Plague is factored into the setting, if at all.

Now Edger... Buddy! I have no Idea what you're on about. What is 'Cybergeneration' and the 'Carbon Plague' and what if anything did they have to do with the 'Luddites'? N00b here remember, upload your knowledge to the network!

Now Edger... Buddy! I have no Idea what you're on about. What is 'Cybergeneration' and the 'Carbon Plague' and what if anything did they have to do with the 'Luddites'? N00b here remember, upload your knowledge to the network!

Ah Okay - Luddites are exactly that, a group that abhors cybernetic enhancement or all kind, and sometimes their cause gets zealous and violent. Nomads, as a simlar group and for reference, represent the reality of the disintegration of American society, and the concept of the Nuclear family travelling in large clans, etc.

Cybergeneration was a spinoff game which took a very different look at the CP2020 universe and instead of putting you as an adult player, you instead were a child of, if I remember correctly, between 10 and 18, coping with the effects of an incident in 2025 that later became to be known as the Carbon Plague, which was essentially was a biological incident, presumably an accident by the corporation involved but obviously no one knows if was done on purpose.

The incident only affected children, but instead of it being a biological agent it was an 'infection' of nanites and nanotechnology; essentially imbuing your player and other 'kids' with special abilities such as skin hardening, molecular deconstruction/reconstruction of objects in your hand where the nanites come out of your palms and reconstruct said objects.

Other powers were things like being able to tap directly into the net, and be online constantly without ever requiring a cyberdeck or neural jack (essentially a computer you plug into yourself that for the duration of the session replaces all your sensory inputs with an internet feed, realised through Virtual Reality (in CP2020 parlance, in this instance your character would be a Netrunner)

Hopefully that clears those up!

--E

Now we're talking! Isn't learning fun? That sounds very cool, seems like there is a absolute wealth of possible stories and time periods to choose from already scripted. Should make for some very in depth story telling.

Deconstruction abilities would be excellent! Imagine being able to assault an enemy by grabbing his gun and disintegrating it as you take him on. Gameplay wise I really hope they can invent a way to use first person takedowns and cover mechanics etc. I hated coming out of first person in Human Revolution, Far Cry have some cool 1st person, I hope they can adopt and modify something like that.

A vast selection of upgrades and modifications would be great too, the original Deus Ex had a good selection but it was still limited, HR was terrible! Half of them were useless and you knew that from day one with no joy of discovering them for yourself or making difficult decisions about permanent changes and what kind of player you were going to be. Be great to see the AI really utilizing this stuff too, make for some really challenging gameplay if they are as bad ass as you for a change.

Are there any other other perks and abilities that you can see making for good game mechanics?

Welcome! To be new to all this again, I'd pay a lot. So much to see and read and watch and play in the next couple years and for decades after.

For much of the 2077 setting and gameplay and visuals, CDPR is using Cyberpunk 2020, as you know. CP2020 has a vast amount of stuff written about it.

There is a convenient forum link with CP2020 resources here . Check it out, wander around on the sites and plan out your eventual full conversion.

Top Bottom