Forced Anti Aliasing - SMAA or MSAA

+
Forced Anti Aliasing - SMAA or MSAA

Has anyone managed to force anti aliasing through the nvidia control panel or nvidia inspector? I know nvidia's FXAA works (but sucks), but in theory it is possible to force SMAA, and I think, even MSAA as hairworks use it. So, has anyone managed to do it?

I am currently using sweetfx SMAA combined with its FXAA and lumasharpen to compensate the blur. It actually looks pretty good, but the downside is that it looks like the lines are "dancing", shimmering, like if there was some grain filter enabled (and it is not). I would post a screenshot here, but it is only noticeable in-game. Any suggestions to this?

I had heard they had to implement their own AA system because the other standards were not or would not work properly in game. Do you not like the one provided by the designers?

The configuration files have the option to enable MSAA. Alas, it doesn't work, it breaks the renderer, and crashes the game in seconds.
But SMAA is something you can use. Using it myself via SweetFX.

Last edited:
The configuration files have the option to enable MSAA. Alas, it doesn't work, it breaks the renderer, and crashes the game in seconds.
But SMAA is something you can use. Using it myself via SweetFX.
Can I use the SMAA with the Sweetfx turned off? if yes, could you please give me the link?

I am using 970 sli at 1080 and am forcing 8x msaa in the driver, have been since I got the second card. It is a noticeable difference and is for sure working on my system. I am also using the in game fxaa

I am using 970 sli at 1080 and am forcing 8x msaa in the driver, have been since I got the second card. It is a noticeable difference and is for sure working on my system. I am also using the in game fxaa

Do you use nvidia inspector or just nvidia control panel? If nvidia inspector, which compatibility bits do you use?

I had heard they had to implement their own AA system because the other standards were not or would not work properly in game. Do you not like the one provided by the designers?

I see almost no difference when using in-game AA. I'am currently using sweetfx both SMAA and FXAA. and using lumasharpen to counter the blur. It actually works really well; all the jaggies are gone, but some texture lines keep shimmering.

Last edited:
Can I use the SMAA with the Sweetfx turned off? if yes, could you please give me the link?

It's simple: Set #define USE_SMAA as 0 in your SweetFX_Settings.ini file once you've installed it. Not all SweetFX configurations even use SMAA.

Do you use nvidia inspector or just nvidia control panel? If nvidia inspector, which compatibility bits do you use?

I see almost no difference when using in-game AA. I'am currently using sweetfx both SMAA and FXAA. and using lumasharpen to counter the blur. It actually works really well; all the jaggies are gone, but some texture lines keep shimmering.

In this game I just used the control panel. I have inspector installed, but didn't touch it for this game.

I also see shimmering, I wouldn't say I can't see any jaggies, but they are pretty tame.

Top Bottom