Forced Sharpening in 1.04?

+
Also wanted to say that the major issue for me is when the game is in motion. It's so hard to show devs/others how big of a deal this is with stills. You'll even get people saying stuff like "oh I actually prefer 1.0.4!" But when we make these posts, I think most of us can agree that it's stuff in these shots that's the problem. Anything more than 10feet away gets flattened and looks like a lower quality texture/mesh:
Post automatically merged:

so.. its pratically 1080p boys with a non DLSS GPU is that right ?
That seems to be the common denominator yeah.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • 3.png
    3.png
    769.7 KB · Views: 84
I mean, I think it's already enough evidence that PC configuration and driver versions aren't that important and we haven't seen anyone with evidence of sharpening not existing on 1080p setup without DLSS.
felipeleninja, can you link this thread and say about our findings to the CDPR support? All we need is just for them to acknowledge this thing. Insist that the problem is real on 1080p without DLSS for example and that they should definitely test it themselves.

I mean, I think it's already enough evidence that PC configuration and driver versions aren't that important and we haven't seen anyone with evidence of sharpening not existing on 1080p setup without DLSS.
felipeleninja, can you link this thread and say about our findings to the CDPR support? All we need is just for them to acknowledge this thing. Insist that the problem is real on 1080p without DLSS for example and that they should definitely test it themselves.
yeah.. i'll do just that, any news ill be sure to post it here

Ok, we need to do something about it. Let's start with our basic system information, maybe we all have something in common.
if its help somehow
MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
RAM: 8x2 Cosair DDR4 3800mhz
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1080 ti
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1tb
NVIDIA Driver 460.89
Win10 20h2
AORUS AD27QD 2560x1440 144hz monitor

as for the game settings, i tried literally everything, even tried to replace game files from 1.03 to steam-version of the game. and its or changes nothing, or the game is wont launch
and another one..
pretty good
can you send them link on this thread?

Last edited:
I am currently playing around with the options.json (r6\config\settings\platform\pc)
Unbenannt.jpg

Changing "is_visible": false to true for antialiasing ads it to the settings.
1608299113545.png

Currently testing its effects ingame when disabled. And if I can add a sharpness setting. (Probably not gonna happen, but worth a try.)
Edit: Looks like you cannot change AA ingame.
It is a bit odd that it does not have the "can be restored to default" line and what does "is dynamic" mean?
Edit2: Adding:
Code:
                {
                    "name": "Sharpness",
                    "display_name": "UI-Settings-Video-Advanced-Sharpness",
                    "description": "",
                    "order": 12,
                    "is_visible": true,
                    "in_pre_game": true,
                    "in_game": true,
                    "update_policy": "immediately",
                    "type": "bool",
                    "value": true,
                    "can_be_restored_to_default": false,
                    "default_value": true
                },
If this works, it will go down as the dumbest fix in history. :D
Edit3:
1608299939726.png

IT DOES NOTHING! qq

Last edited:
the prolem here is that we kinda want our blurry game back ahahaha, and yes we turned all these on and off many times... i tried using reshade but not sucess, nothing is doin its just like there was a downgrade in the TAA quality

It also doesn't help that this DLSS implementation they're using adds a lot of blur to the game as well. On every single preset too. Very strange. While still permitting a crap ton of temporal aliasing. Which is supposed to be the saving grace of TAA (It's supposed to wipe out Temporal Aliasing.) The DLSS in FFXV actually sharpens the entire image and makes textures pop more even though it's an older version and limited to 1440p. I won't even play that game without DLSS since TAA looks like blurry hot garbage and does an awful job of fighting jaggies.

Control even has a cleaner DLSS implementation. It adds blur to some things, but also sharpens others. Very bizarre stuff. They should've asked for Nvidia's help more. They definitely needed a helping hand with this modern software stack.

Not in this case, we actually want the opposite in this thread, the game was heavily sharpened in 1.04.
We have MANY options to make game less blurry and sharp, but since 1.04 patch we have NO option to make it less sharp.

(and yes CA in this game is too much, I agree)

Maybe there's some hidden graphic sliders to tweak in the ini files or a mod you can get to get toggles for this stuff. I know a few people on NexusMods released mods that unlock "Psycho" presets for almost all of the graphic sliders (LOL Imagine how laggy that is.) If there's a hidden option to sharpen or blur things more, they'll find it eventually. Otherwise we just have to wait for CDPR to move their slow behinds. Kind of odd to me that people would want a more blurry image though. I thought the blur was terrible. Before and after 1.04. The only thing that made it tolerable was turning off CA. Oh, if you really want more blur in the meantime, you could try just injecting some Gaussian Blur shader or something too and have at it.

Last edited:
Maybe there's some hidden graphic sliders to tweak in the ini files or a mod you can get to get toggles for this stuff.
Yeah, we're searching for it and we have a mod request thread - https://forums.nexusmods.com/index....t-remove-forced-sharpening-introduced-in-104/
Oh, if you really want more blur in the meantime, you could try just injecting some Gaussian Blur shader or something too and have at it.
That doesn't help at all, since we're applying blur to the already blurred and then sharpened image, like some kind of fucked up layered cake lol.

can you send them link on this thread?
yeah i told them about it, just waiting for the next answer... any news ill be sure to tell u guys

Maybe there's some hidden graphic sliders to tweak in the ini files or a mod you can get to get toggles for this stuff. I know a few people on NexusMods released mods that unlock "Psycho" presets for almost all of the graphic sliders (LOL Imagine how laggy that is.) If there's a hidden option to sharpen or blur things more, they'll find it eventually. Otherwise we just have to wait for CDPR to move their slow behinds. Kind of odd to me that people would want a more blurry image though. I thought the blur was terrible. Before and after 1.04. The only thing that made it tolerable was turning off CA. Oh, if you really want more blur in the meantime, you could try just injecting some Gaussian Blur shader or something too and have at it.
yeah i did some tinkering in the .ini files and stuff but none of them worked.. as they said they dont know what happened either so it must be something a little bit complicated.

That seems to be the common denominator yeah.

So yeah... apparently @Kolya12382 uses a 1440p resolution instead of 1080p, so yeah its not related to the resolution... maybe ?

Last edited:
Kind of odd to me that people would want a more blurry image though. I thought the blur was terrible.

It's all about the balance. You can't just simply delete all that blur with sharpening. If you set sharpening to 40%+ you get an obscene amount of noise/grain and saturation. This looks worse than blur. So the image should be sharpened a little, but it's best to either implement a slider in the settings, or let us use Nvidia's or AMD's drivers to set sharpness as we like. They both have that option in the drivers, so there was no need for them to do anything about it at all.

Господи пусть они сделают этот ползунок!!!Я буквально не могу так играть!А сохранения с 1.4 не работают на 1.3

Просто из за малолетних нытиков которым подавай резкость как в решейде.нормальные пацаны терпят

It's all about the balance. You can't just simply delete all that blur with sharpening. If you set sharpening to 40%+ you get an obscene amount of noise/grain and saturation. This looks worse than blur. So the image should be sharpened a little, but it's best to either implement a slider in the settings, or let us use Nvidia's or AMD's drivers to set sharpness as we like. They both have that option in the drivers, so there was no need for them to do anything about it at all.
it was fine at 1.03, where we could adjust sharpness on drivers as we like, but now its too sharp by default and we cant do anything with it

So here are some screenshots.

1. Screen Space Reflections Quality = Ultra, DLSS off (RT off)
You can see the texture on the revolver is extremely noisy/grainy.

Screenshot_238.png

2. Screen Space Reflections Quality = Psycho, DLSS off (RT off).
Significantly reduced noise/grain, but at a high cost in terms of GPU performance (30%).
Screenshot_239.png

3. Screen Space Reflections Quality = Ultra, DLSS on (RT off).
Seems like the noise is covered up by blur.
Screenshot_240.png

Maybe devs reduce only TAA hidden slider ;) 😀in mind to increase performance, and we got this "cake" so, someone notice, someone not. :(((

Просто из за малолетних нытиков которым подавай резкость как в решейде.нормальные пацаны терпят
Понимаю чел, понимаю.
Damn, that gun reminds me revolver from original release of Half-Life without updated textures and models. That revolver had the same blue-ish sheen to it, nice.

I really don't understand why anyone will want to see the game blur (maybe if you have a vision problem this blur feels more natural to you), but I agree that this should be an option.

I really don't understand why anyone will want to see the game blur (maybe if you have a vision problem this blur feels more natural to you), but I agree that this should be an option.
Here, there is no blur on the left (original texture made by designers at CDPR how it was intended to be seen), but there is a heavy sharpening happening on the right which does not add any new details, it just makes them stronger (in that case, it makes them TOO strong to the point of not being readable).

Attachments

• 123.png
    123.png
    689 KB · Views: 89
Top Bottom