Forfeit Mentality (and other issues)

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
Forfeiting in Gwent. Lately, with HC i think this issue, if you consider it as such, has been getting out of hand.

I remember when i started over 2 years ago, it took me months before forfeiting the 1st time (didnt even know there was that option), and didnt find many players doing this either. Even when taking a beating, i felt i was learning with the process, and there were still strategies to explore.

As time progressed and the playerbase increased, forfeiting became regular, as netdecks became a thing, and experienced players already knew what was coming most of the times. After Midwinter, with the lack of updates and changes, this lack of originality got worse, understandably...

Fastforward to now, HC era. Everything is new again, and i hoped more players explored the new possibilities, and stayed in-match, to learn with their mistakes. Instead what do we get? Players who forfeit at the first instance of something not going as they had planned.

This has another strong cause: the new pace of the game (a.k.a. slow as hell). I think this is aggravated by the game being more technically demanding - my crap desktop is laggy as hell and the game feels unresponsive, when before it flowed wonderfully. This is the only valid reason i can understand all these quitters.

At the same time(!), i feel the game doesnt give enough time for each turn, since now you dont have to just play a card, but have to coordinate orders, leader and card. In most cases, its more than enough, but in others... For ex. yesterday i built a NG Tactics deck, that i really loved, but it had so many interactions sometimes i wasnt able to do all things i wanted!

But back to forfeiting. Yesterday, in 5-6 hours of playtime, i had over 25 players forfeiting. This isnt a brag, it's a problem.
Im not even playing the annoying decks like artefact heavy, Eithné, heavy control, reveal. I was actually playing things i had never seen in HC like tactics, weather, ...
I noticed how players were caught offguard by the cards i played. Instead of wanting to know more, they forfeited.

This becomes even worse, when you're about to do an achievement and the opponent forfeits. Example: i wanted to exploit the fact no one is using resilience, even when in most R2s players drypass and let the other do whatever he wants, so both start R3 with 10. I put my dwarves, but the bastard forfeits before i even pass. Poof.

TL;DR: stop forfeiting left and right.

_Kili_

Forum regular
What has the world become, people are getting angry at their opponents forfeiting...
If you wanna do achievements do them with a friend, don't waste someones time

You're talking about people forfeiting when they still potentially stand a chance to keep up right? Because if not, I always forfeit games when I see I'm mathematically screwed, old MTG habit.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im not saying to never forfeit - i used to forfeit too when i saw a Sabbath deck and i happened to be using a deck with no way to counter or stand a chance.

Im defending that Gwent, and really any game, can provide enjoyment and learning, even in the face of certain defeat, so playing just for the victories wont do you any good. Also, dont give up at the first obstacle.
Post automatically merged:

What has the world become, people are getting angry at their opponents forfeiting...
If you wanna do achievements do them with a friend, don't waste someones time

Do achievements with a friend? I advise you to go check a dictionary, and look up what 'achievement' means.

Besides, if im trying to do an achievement, im setting myself an handicap, and giving you an advantage, how is that wasting your time, considering you only care about winning?

Given how long games take now, I'd rather save time and forfeit if it gets to a point where I know I've got no chance of winning and get into another match sooner.

Sure sometimes I like to see a whole match to the end when losing, to learn any new strategies being used. Similarly sometimes I feel it's courteous to play out the last card even if winning - for the opponent's benefit to see what I had.

Given how long games take now, I'd rather save time and forfeit if it gets to a point where I know I've got no chance of winning and get into another match sooner.

Sure sometimes I like to see a whole match to the end when losing, to learn any new strategies being used. Similarly sometimes I feel it's courteous to play out the last card even if winning - for the opponent's benefit to see what I had.
Unfortunately this is often consider bm (bad manners), so when you think you are being courteous the other person might be insulted. Noticed if you get GG's after those games ;)

Moderator's warning to all: One post deleted. Do not call each other names. Keep the discussion respectful, regardless of your opinions.

The animations are just too slow and too much. If I see I'm losing I don't stick around to see all the puff-puff magic happening, I forfeight and look for the next opponent. I noticed myself that I am forfeighting way way much more than in beta Gwent for this reason alone.

Do achievements with a friend? I advise you to go check a dictionary, and look up what 'achievement' means.

Besides, if im trying to do an achievement, im setting myself an handicap, and giving you an advantage, how is that wasting your time, considering you only care about winning?
I don't care what an achievement is to you, as long as there is a reward for achievements I, and a lot of other people, will try to cheese them.
Take for example the "Overkill" achievement (Win a round with 100 points more than you opponent) any normal player will pass when he's behind ~40 points at the latest, how are you gonna do that achievement if you're not playing on after the pass? Thats exactly what wastes my time when you do your achievements

Unfortunately this is often consider bm (bad manners), so when you think you are being courteous the other person might be insulted. Noticed if you get GG's after those games ;)
Yes I realise that, sometimes it depends on the context - ie I can just place a card down without using its abilities or orders etc. :) But I see your point.

I forfeit first round if I see ranked decks in casual (the popular ones are already easy to spot)... I'd rather not waste my time.
I forfeit in ranked if I can already see I'm going to lose, whether because I screwed up or because they've outdone me.
I forfeit if my opponent is taking too long (roping) and I don't think I'll win anyways.
otherwise, nah

but I can understand people wanting to jump out early from overly long matches (seriously WTH are the round end animations so long? it adds nothing but wasted time)
I can also understand the desire to exit matches when you have poor performance.

Forfeiting is fine as it is. It should be even encouraged if one player sees they're way outmatched from round 1. Cause it's gonna be boring for both players in the end. It's better to play matches in which the result is still uncertain until the very last card is played. Cause personally, when I see a player struggling with placement of cards like not putting them in the rows they need to be for their effects to trigger and so on or passing when they still have 8 cards in hand, it's as boring as losing somehow.

Top Bottom