Forfeit Mentality (and other issues)

+
There are numerous alternatives. If you want to reward people for playing, and not forfeiting, grant them xp for playing a certain number of cards. Right now you are rewarding people for forfeiting, then ban them afterwards. How are people to know this is an exploit? If you tell them they are in disbelief, as no reputable company allows an 'exploit' to persist for that long, while continuing to ban people for taking advantage thereof.

Any system would be better than what we have currently.

Honestly, I think the biggest issue in Gwent is communication between the devs and the players. The mods say we cannot attack CDPR for enforcement and I agree that really isn’t productive. If they give you the rules to their game, then that is that. But, I wish they would explain their reasoning, have a dialogue with the player base either via live stream questions or selecting the best written questions and work with the players to figure this out.

Honestly, I think it is more about play rate than forfeiting. If you play 75% of your games, then leaving before playing a card in 25% seems unlikely to get you banned. But if you invert that and play only 25% now your not really contributing to Gwent. Personally, there are certain leaders I refuse to play on casual. It used to be NG, but since MM it is SK or Ethereal monsters. It’s not because I cannot win, it’s because the game is stale against the same decks. I haven’t been banned and honestly don’t expect to be. If I am, then I move on and find something to play. At the end of the day, if you cannot have fun playing Gwent then don’t. If you don’t like a matchup for whatever reason and your not playing ranked, skip it. Just be selective in what you skip and how often and you should be fine.

Honestly, I think it is more about play rate than forfeiting. If you play 75% of your games, then leaving before playing a card in 25% seems unlikely to get you banned. But if you invert that and play only 25% now your not really contributing to Gwent. Personally, there are certain leaders I refuse to play on casual.

Tell that to poor invigorate players, I bet they want to forfeit 75% matches, in the very begining, even with absence of incentitives :p

If people want to leave the game, for ANY reason - it's their choice.

I am not aware what is this exploit people are talking about but if CDPR are banning people for forfeiting - this is wrong.

If people want to leave the game, for ANY reason - it's their choice.

I am not aware what is this exploit people are talking about but if CDPR are banning people for forfeiting - this is wrong.

The issue is if you play a single card to qualify for a GG and a complete match quest. When done to the extreme you can get a ton of exp and GG rewards. Someone (I am not sure who,) got banned for over using this technique. A debate on the forum across a couple of threads has been about how much is too much and should CDPR be banning people for this. The mods don’t want us bashing CDPR for enforcing the rules, and as I said above they have a point. You don’t have to agree with the speed limit but you can still get a ticket for breaking it. Everyone who plays assumes the risk of being banned for breaking the rules. But, a more clear delineation of the rules and a conversation with the player base about their feelings toward the rule would probably be the best course of action.

If the guy was bored enough to spam forfeit then starting up from a new account is a good thing for him. :) A bit of a refreshment if you will.

The issue is if you play a single card to qualify for a GG and a complete match quest. When done to the extreme you can get a ton of exp and GG rewards. Someone (I am not sure who,) got banned for over using this technique. A debate on the forum across a couple of threads has been about how much is too much and should CDPR be banning people for this. The mods don’t want us bashing CDPR for enforcing the rules, and as I said above they have a point. You don’t have to agree with the speed limit but you can still get a ticket for breaking it. Everyone who plays assumes the risk of being banned for breaking the rules. But, a more clear delineation of the rules and a conversation with the player base about their feelings toward the rule would probably be the best course of action.
You don't have to agree with the speed limit but the government can't censor you for complaining about it, not unless you live in an autocracy. So the mods are saying ppl can't criticize the devs?

If someone abused an exploit in the game, that's for the devs to fix. I doubt very much there's a rule in their policy that speaks specifically to that bug since it's relatively new and they're very lax when it comes to updating anything. So how would you know not to do it.

Idk how it actually works here but obviously there should be a warning first to inform the player of his transgression, like a 24h ban for example with an explanation of why it's there, then if repeated it would result in a red card...

The way it currently works, atleast how i think it works, is that there is no system in place to scan for 'misbehaviour'. Then, when a report comes in, about someone who abuses the system, the player gets investigated manually.
Then, say he did abuse the system 300 hours straight, or over thousands of forfeits, he gets perma-ban. Now i'm not entirely sure, if the player i spoke to received a perma-ban, as i'm still trying to contact him. But incase it is, people who are banned don't feel too good about it, and are morally discouraged to speak up. (As they spent countless of hours playing legitimatelly, prior, and purchased various cosmetics, they feel pretty bad, as you can surely immagine).
So despite we don't hear too often about someone that got banned, i think there are quite a few cases.

Wouldn´t it make sense to give no EXP at all for forfeiting players. Then there is no reason to ban them.

As stated before, it all depends on the reason for the forfeit...

I often forfeit when I have passed the final round, the opponent has won the match, but wants to keep playing his 3 or 4 extra cards and process the cards that he has that have orders coming. I refuse to sit there and watch the opponent play cards for another 5 minutes just to be humiliated further.

The argument can be made that they are trying to finish a contract/quest or some such action. Fine. Then a mechanism needs to be put in place that allows a player to play out their cards after the opponent passes, but allows the loser to bow out gracefully and not suffer the further play.

IMO forfeiting is not an issue. It's a person choice based on the that persons reasonings .

The below response and the fact that they actually put in the forfeit feature in would suggest its he way "the game is meant to be played" as they stated there are no negative effects to forfeiting in round 1 or 3.

Just because people have gotten banned does not mean that suddenly the average person should be careful of forfeiting as you could potentially have 2 people each forfeit the same amount of games but only one gets punished for reasons connected to the outcome of the games forfeit

MTG solved this debate by making an official entry into the base rules for the game itself.

104.3a A player can concede the game at any time. A player who concedes leaves the game immediately. That player loses the game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Just a reminder: please dont comment on my OP of this thread, as it is highly outdated.

Look at the date - it was the very first week of Gwent HC, everything was super different and new, and the context was entirely different than it is today.

Therefore, my position on forfeiting is different today, as before i was complaining of players forfeiting as soon as things weren't going their way, and now, im the one doing most of the forfeiting thanks to the increase in netdecking and established metas, in these past two years.

Feel free to use this thread to comment your own takes on forfeiting, as that's its purpose now.

Fastforward to now, HC era. Everything is new again, and i hoped more players explored the new possibilities, and stayed in-match, to learn with their mistakes. Instead what do we get? Players who forfeit at the first instance of something not going as they had planned.
...At the same time(!), i feel the game doesnt give enough time for each turn, since now you dont have to just play a card, but have to coordinate orders, leader and card. In most cases, its more than enough, but in others...

Firstly, what's HC?

I'm not big on forfeiting and I only recently found out here how to do that. It seems to me that if you do this, you don't get credit towards your daily missions etc, so I wouldn't want to miss out on those.

I like learning from my mistakes but sometimes you might not be making any and it's just obvious that you are getting to get spanked by your opponent, so why draw out the experience?

I've only been playing Battle Rush recently and it displays the issue of time constraints. Taking an action can be unresponsive so the process is automated and you waste that action as a result. I'll pass to end the match-up if I can't recover from that.

Homecoming a.k.a. Gwent 2.0 (sort of).

Thanks. I'll probably forget this though the next time somebody mentions it!

I looked a little bit at an official post on this. Not sure if they've implemented everything that they said that they would.

Only time forfeiting bugs me is when in round 3 on the last card play. Cant see how a life changing amount of time is likely to be saved by forfeiting then. Granted my opponent doesnt know I wanted to play that card for a contract chase. Of course once I had growled at the monitor for this happening to me twice in 20 minutes, I had to bite the bullet and watch what seemed to be an entire NR deck get dropped on me in round 3 once I passed. because there were two Frigates on separate rows and my opponent MIGHT have been going for that contract.
About the only time I will forfeit is when my opponent fails to realize I am NOT specifically trying to beat him, (its can still happen but honestly its usually more luck than design) but set the board with contract ticking engines - Its usually fairly obvious that my deck couldnt beat eggs for an omlete, but if he/she insists on knocking off those , theres zero point being in the game, so I forfeit and dont GG, because I DIDNT enjoy the game.

I'm also confused by the considerable number of people who play the game until they've depleted their hand in Round 3 and then forfeit, even though there's only one card left for me to play.

Actually, I shouldn't complain too much because they sometimes forfeit even when they're still up on points. This caused me to win a ranked game once that I ordinarily would have lost. My opponent just assumed I had some sort of finisher in hand, but in reality, it was a mediocre Bronze card.

I'm also confused by the considerable number of people who play the game until they've depleted their hand in Round 3 and then forfeit, even though there's only one card left for me to play.

Actually, I shouldn't complain too much because they sometimes forfeit even when they're still up on points. This caused me to win a ranked game once that I ordinarily would have lost. My opponent just assumed I had some sort of finisher in hand, but in reality, it was a mediocre Bronze card.
HAHAHA

Thats happens the same for me.

I win round 1, bleed my opponent in round 2, but in round 3 my hand was a crap. I have one more card and i still was going to lose.

So... tadam...my oponent left, and for me that was a relief
Post automatically merged:

on topic..

i am forfeiting a lot.

I play only for fun and if i see the game isnt fun i forfeit. Sometimes only see the leader or the faction and i foreit (yes lockdown, you are the most i do this)

DRK3

Forum veteran

Something similar happened to me, and even though at the moment i found it amusing, if i think about it, its kinda depressing, regarding the state of the playerbase and their mentality:

I was using SY Hidden Cache (i shouldnt, but its one of the few masteries i need), i knew my opponent was gonna try to bleed me R2, but i had a good hand, so i resisted the bleed well, and we would be going for R3... My opponent forfeits.

Here's the thing: he was trying to bleed out a Passiflora R2, a Passiflora i DID NOT use on any of my decks (because F* that card), but apparently it was inconceivable a Cache player without Passiflora, and he wouldnt be able to beat it R3 so he forfeited immediately, even though in reality i was also drained of my best cards.

Ive had a few auto forfeits today playing SY Hidden cache. Amusing part about it is.....I have zero clue how to play that deck and my "strategy" merely involves lobbing Intimidate cards out and flinging Crime cards after them. Not because I am convinced this is a winning strategy......but it does tick over the related contract. I dont even HAVE a Passiflora, or the majority of the "needed" cards but it seems that players have become so fed up getting mangled by that deck they just assume I'm yet another player waiting to destroy them and bug out as soon as they see it.

By the by, the "Zero clue" about SY, and to a lesser extent NR - I just prefered Monsters and Scoiatael in the Witcher 3 and that carried over to here, I probably should get around to learning those other decks, so at least if I get forfeits - I can feel like I (somewhat) earned it?

Top Bottom