Forging Sword Bug

+
Dear Tech Support,

I have 2 red meteorites and a blue meteorite. During chapter 3, when I click FORGE in Vizima when talking to the Order Merchant and get the sword upgrade, only one red and one blue meteorite disappear from my inventory, a red meteorite still remains.

It gets even weirder, when I talk to the Order Merchant again after forging the sword, then the red meteorite disappears.

I don't want these type of bugs to possibly cause problems later, is there anything I can do to fix this?

Last edited:
Hm. Not sure I'm quite understanding. Did you complete the sword?

If so, I don't imagine it's anything to worry about. If the meteorite bars disappeared from your inventory, then it's likely just a display bug on the crafting menu. If, however, the bar was still in your inventory and only disappeared when you talked with the merchant...that might be indicative of a glitch.

As always, reload to a point before the issue occurred, exit the game, repair / verify through GOG / Steam / Origin, then retry.

1.) Any mods, or have you ever used any in the past?

2.) How long have you been playing this particular playthrough (counting standard game and NG+, if it applies)?

The sword completed, but it made an error and left a red meteorite in the inventory that shouldn't be there and it only disappears if you talk to the Armor Merchant again.

I actually found a work around by hitting CTRL-LEFT and separating the 2 red meteorites into 2 different stacks, then it worked okay after that and removed both of them to forge the sword.

Hope this fixed the problem, I deleted the old save and shut down and rebooted to clear anything that might be in there, really hoping no crashes because of this!

Thank you, please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Well, no real proof pro or con...

...but that's the type of "bork -- huh!?" that I look for like a hawk while I'm playing. It's obviously not working as intended, and that could very well result in issues in the future.

That being said, you seem to have found a work-around already. Personally, if I could make it work like that 3 times in-a-row, I'd probably be very happy and just keep playing...

...but I don't use mods. That's a critical consideration. Can you answer about that part. Mods can add layers of goo to any issue.

I have never used MODS in my entire life for any PC game, I don't believe in them. I believe in playing the game the way it was intended to be played.

Yes, I tried the work around many times and it worked each time, so the bug appears to be that it can't deal with stacks of items properly, but if they are separated it works.

Since this game is many years old, I don't expect a patch anytime soon, so I'll just try to reach the end of the game and avoid talking to merchants :)

How long? Several months I guess. The problem seems resolved though, haven't had any problems lately.

Cool bananas! Hopefully, it shouldn't create any glaring issues. If, by chance, you do start seeing any weirdness, dump your entire inventory into a stash (all equipped items, too!), transition between regions (e.g. Velen to Skellige), and retrieve your items. In general, not carrying anything more than you need around with you is a good way to avoid problems. If you do carry many similar items with you for long periods of time, it can create issues with the inventory overall. Not convinced that's what's happening here, but good to watch out for! (2 months shouldn't be anywhere near the danger zone. Wouldn't worry!)

Top Bottom