Forum 3.0 - your suggestions

+
I think every major change at first feels a little obscure. So when the time goes we'll get used to this and everything will work just fine... and look beautiful at the same time.Edit: Can I somewhere choose that I can see posts as whole? Without clicking "read more" text.

@CoryleaI quote you sweetheart. You said it very well.Plus, I would like to have image viewing again, coz it's pretty annoying clicking on show image whenever you attached one.

gamewidow said:
OK, i voted for "hate it" but i suppose that's a bit harsh, the visual are pretty nice, but OMFG what have you done to the functionality ?? did you use monkeys to test it ?It took me several minutes to even find the login button and i have yet to figure out how to logout
Maybe a ocullist recipe could help you find those buttons ...

Just to note, the new forum doesn't work in IE 7.0 (yes, there are some folks who still use IE ;) ). I tried posting, and private messaging, about five times with no success before finally downloading Firefox to connect with. Clicking on the "Send" button in both forum threads and private messages and instead of sending it just gives the same results as the "Preview" button.I like the new graphics, and I can see the idea behind the new forum design....but I'd vote to return to the older design. ...course, I'm someone who still uses old Telnet-based MU* systems to keep in touch with friends too ;) Overall, I'll go with Corylea's comments as to the design, with the exception that I don't mind white text on black background personally.

On forum main page... while hovering over a forum thread, the latest post is stated as June and not April as it should be. The year and day are correct, just the month is not in place. At least its correct inside those forum threads.EDIT: Nevermind, fixed now, but maybe other bugs like this may arise later.

I can't:- change the language... I'm clicking everything- find anything in that mess- log out... where's the f****** button?I hate the new forum.

Glifion said:
- log out... where's the f****** button?
Hover over your name or your avatar on the lower part of the page (next to "LANGUAGE") and several new buttons including "Inbox", "Settings" and finally "Logout" should appear.

Ah, timestamps in posts are back! Uh, but where is the timestamp in my profil/posts?!And the edit date&time I still can't see anywhere...What about the followed posts in the profile with DE language? Doesn't exists... (see attachment); EN is working fine.

I like the new forums. My one complaint is that I cant get the search function to ever work. This was true of the old forums as well.

I use Firefox to view the forums, and what I typically do is open the Witcher forum in a new window. Then, I open each section with new posts in new tabs. This way, I can read ONLY the new posts without having to reread older ones.With the new format, I find it difficult to see EXACTLY which threads have new posts, and it's difficult to use my prior system.I DO like the new graphics, but I miss the emoticons, the forumites' pics, and the setup for seeing Orens and other details.Can we even post images now, like we used to be able to do?EDIT: N/M, I see the ability to attach things now, from viewing the preview.EDIT 2: I see that the avatars and Orens are in, too. Guess my only real complaint now is the difficulty in finding only new posts. That, and the 'READ MORE' bar.~ Roxy

I'm sick of logging in and redirected to forum main page and not to the topic I was viewing. Also what happened to the login system? Did you just restricted the login times to 5 minutes? Whenever I try to post a reply it says I have to login, then I login and go to the main page..WTF update: And then I login, find the topic I was about to post something. I paste my post which I couldn't before since I was kicked out in 2 minutes. Surprise! I need to login again. WTF is wrong with the forum?

Suggestions (urgent):# "read more" stopps the train of reading / flow of reading (if this is the right expression)# Bring back the complete overview details and get rid of the mouse over feature# overview of updated posts and recently new posts should include the forums of the source threads. Bugs:timestamp is in a mess when you filter:# recent unread threads: (today) all have latest Jan 12, 2010# updated threads: ditoDay is correct but month is sometimes back in the past or future (already had June :-D )

My suggestion is that all of us keep silent for a week. The Polish people have just lost an entire planeful of important people, and I think the last thing the nice people at CDPR need at a time like this is to hear us whining about how the new forum format sucks. (We can go back to whining -- because the new forum format DOES need work -- after allowing them a week to grieve.)I'm an American, and I remember that after the planes took down the towers in New York, no one in the entire country could think about anything else for at least a week. I imagine the shock and grief for the Polish people is similar, and I suggest that we convey our sympathy with their tragedy ... and not ask for anything, not for a week.

I don't want to sound cold-hearted or vilify the dead people of this accident but it pisses me off so hard that the media pays so much attention to this kind of incidents. I mean in this particular case it's somewhat more understandable since they were famous politicians and all that but practically NO ONE in the media gives damn about the slaughter of hundreds of Congolese every day. Mourning for these people and at the same time turning a blind eye on those hundreds of dead humans that die horrible deaths on daily base is an insanity I cannot brush aside. An example: If a handful of soldiers (who know of the risks of their job) get blown up by a suicide bomber it's big news but those dying masses elsewhere are being frickin' ignored. How can you call this something else than biased and iniquitous? Get your facts straight, people. Treating the loss of some few with kid gloves while on the other hand completely overlooking others? What the heck? Seriously ... what are they doing here? Assessing the lives of persons?

Demut said:
Mourning for these people and at the same time turning a blind eye on those hundreds of dead humans that die horrible deaths on daily base is an insanity I cannot brush aside.
Nearly all people care the most about those people whom they actually know or who have an effect on their lives. Nearly all people care considerably less about people they don't know. The human mind is limited and isn't really able to care deeply and in detail about seven billion people. Humans lived in small tribes of a couple of hundred people up until quite recently, and our minds evolved to care deeply about a couple of hundred people.I think it is quite callous to spit upon the Polish people while they are mourning the loss of so many of their important people. I don't think you meant it that way -- you meant to be humanitarian enough to care about everybody -- but lecturing people about caring for others when they're in the middle of mourning is not the way to spread humanitarianism.Poles are stunned and grieving, and with good reason. Be gentle, huh?

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
Mourning for these people and at the same time turning a blind eye on those hundreds of dead humans that die horrible deaths on daily base is an insanity I cannot brush aside.
Nearly all people care the most about those people whom they actually know or who have an effect on their lives. Nearly all people care considerably less about people they don't know. The human mind is limited and isn't really able to care deeply and in detail about seven billion people. Humans lived in small tribes of a couple of hundred people up until quite recently, and our minds evolved to care deeply about a couple of hundred people.I think it is quite callous to spit upon the Polish people while they are mourning the loss of so many of their important people. I don't think you meant it that way -- you meant to be humanitarian enough to care about everybody -- but lecturing people about caring for others when they're in the middle of mourning is not the way to spread humanitarianism.Poles are stunned and grieving, and with good reason. Be gentle, huh?
A rather astute observation, Corylea. And a far more diplomatically stated response than I would have likely provided had I been the first to answer Demut. (example: I recently horrified a Canadian on another forum with my drawing a distinction between the amount of respect I have for the lives of specific individual humans far exceeding my view of humanity as a species). You get a cookie (well, an Oren actually). To borrow a quote from Stalin (I do apologize for the poor timing of referencing him, given Katyn, but the phrase is an accurate summation of human response to tragedy): "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic."As someone with a business education background, and who dabbles in anthropology as a hobby (my sister, on the other hand, did graduate-level anthropology work at Oxford), I'll note that, put simply: people don't deal well with big numbers. Big numbers are effectively meaningless in everyday life to most people. If I say, "The US National Debt is currently $12,839,351,491,504.14" that's a completely meaningless figure to most people. If, on the other hand, I say "Ticket prices have gone up at the movie theater, taking your girlfriend to see a film will now cost you $26 instead of $16," _that_ is the type of figure people can deal with. It has direct meaning on their everyday lives, and it's a number that people can understand. Or, to borrow a quote from my old medieval battlegames group's recruiting event: "And one of the best things about taking part in medieval recreation group is you don't need to count past three! Anything higher than three is simply "a lot". One, two, three, a lot. See how simple that is?"Tell folks that someone they knew -- even if it was just through the media and the voting booth -- has died, and it's something they can personally connect with. They can remember the good times with a friend/family member, or the actions of someone they knew of (such as a politician, actor, musician, writer, etc), have regrets for the unfinished works that person left behind, worry about what might happen to the individual's spouse or kids... In the case of this airplane crash, many of those aboard were known, and/or had an effect on the world outside of Poland. It's a tragedy that people, even those outside of Poland, can understand and react to -- though perhaps not necessarily in the same manner/for the same reasons as Polish citizens are. Put bluntly, it's a number that people can understand and the dead can be recognized as having been individuals with recognized accomplishments.Tell them thousands or millions of people have died in, to use your example, the Congo -- people that your average individual outside of the Congo have never met, never would have met, and have little in common with culturally; and that have all just been lumped together in a big "# dead in " headline in the paper -- and you'll receive nods of agreement as to how horrible the events were and perhaps offers to contribute to a charity involved with a relief effort (in the case of natural disasters) -- but there's nothing to give the listener the kind of personal reaction they might have to a smaller figure.I apologize if the above offends anyone, but it's simply an observation made on the nature of mankind's ability to deal with the two different situations.

Corylea said:
My suggestion is that all of us keep silent for a week. The Polish people have just lost an entire planeful of important people, and I think the last thing the nice people at CDPR need at a time like this is to hear us whining about how the new forum format sucks.
I agree. Besides, they also need time to implement some of the suggestions on top of the national grief they face right now. No use whining until the new improvements have been made.

Guys, the language and some other issues are still being fixed - we're also going to add some functions to the official board. Some things are always visible after launch, so thanks a lot for all your feedback!Cheers!

Top Bottom